New Citabria video

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
A few of you had asked me about another video, so here’s another one. This video is more about a personal journey, and about doing things imperfectly even though other people don’t realize it or care, or even when I don’t realize, and shouldn’t care quite so much when I figure it out later. I’ve been hesitant to post this particular video for various reasons, but since some of you have asked for one…here ‘tis.

There’s a story behind these particular maneuvers that has significance to me. I made this video mainly for myself. Hopefully for you this is at least interesting, perhaps entertaining, or maybe you might like the music. Needless to say, it’s only a form of art and self-expression and not a training video. :D

Thanks to Joe Areeda for hosting it for me. :blowingkisses: Joe, you are very sweet (and a bunch of other superlatives!). :yes: I’m glad you’re on the mend. :)

http://www.areeda.com/flying/imgs/crazy.wmv

Loved it! Thanks for sharing. So, were the first and second parts of the video different views of the same maneuvers?

Last edited:
Great video Diana. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's fun to watch, especially since it's too damn cold to go fly today!

Diana,

I like this video because it shows how "real" people fly acro. Not the Kirby Chamblisses and Chip Gibbonses of the world, but the air-weather fliers who ain't honed to a competition edge -- who do it because they want to rather than because they're on stage.

Acro is hard. Hard to do kind of right and REALLY REALLY hard to do almost completely right. But the difficulty is one of the things that makes it worth doing -- and it's also an out for those frequent times when one gets it slightly wrong. And I think you have captured that neatly.

Loved it! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Greg, and others for your positive comments. I've been hanging on to this for a month now, debating whether to put it out there or not.

So, were the first and second parts of the video different views of the same maneuvers?
Actually, only one maneuver was shown from inside and from the ground as well. It might be interesting to have a contest of people trying to guess what they actually are. :D Two of them were my feeble attempts at doing a maneuver for the first time, so I doubt if anyone will guess those two correctly.

Great video Diana. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Thanks Chip. :)

It's fun to watch, especially since it's too damn cold to go fly today!
I ran outside without a coat and shot a couple of "ice pics" to show how cold it looks here. I'm going to try to get some better ones later.

Attachments

• HPIM1014.JPG
    HPIM1014.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM1021.JPG
    HPIM1021.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM1025.JPG
    HPIM1025.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IM008383.JPG
    IM008383.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 26
Diana,

I like this video because it shows how "real" people fly acro. Not the Kirby Chamblisses and Chip Gibbonses of the world, but the air-weather fliers who ain't honed to a competition edge -- who do it because they want to rather than because they're on stage.

Acro is hard. Hard to do kind of right and REALLY REALLY hard to do almost completely right. But the difficulty is one of the things that makes it worth doing -- and it's also an out for those frequent times when one gets it slightly wrong. And I think you have captured that neatly.
Wow. Ken, your depth of insight continues to amaze me, as well as your ability to express it. There are so many levels to this video (to me, anyway), and you have touched on one of them that is a 'constant' with me. Dave Pilkington picked up on the same theme with my hammerhead video, and that is why he put it on his web site for his acro students to watch. He felt that it is possibly frustrating for acro students to watch everyone do the maneuvers perfectly on videos, which makes it look easy and makes the rest of us feel frustrated when we can't do it that way. Thank you Ken. :)

Actually, only one maneuver was shown from inside and from the ground as well. It might be interesting to have a contest of people trying to guess what they actually are. :D Two of them were my feeble attempts at doing a maneuver for the first time, so I doubt if anyone will guess those two correctly.

From outside the plane, it looked like you were trying split-S's. From the inside view, it looked like the first few tries resulted in stall-spins. Looks like a lot of fun! Sometimes I still think I'm cheating myself buying a Mooney instead of a fun acro plane.

Wow, a slam and a compliment in the same sentence. You should write for a living!

:D

That line- "You should write for a living..." made my day!

BTW, Diana, that video gives me a strong urge to fly to Twin Oaks- but maybe I wait for spring?

Diana,
Another classic! Thanks for posting this, your videos always give me bad urges to go spend money on more acro flying!!!! (which is a good thing) Hope all is well.

Sweet!! I want to get an aerobatic sign off some day:yes:
Brent, I imagine that Bill Jennings can get you the number for the gentleman he flew with a few years ago in a Citabria. Not too far from Chattanooga, if I remember correctly. Bill even has several threads about his acro flights in our aerobatic forum here.

A few other countries require a sign off for aerobatics, like Australia and perhaps New Zealand, but so far we aren't required to have one here.

From outside the plane, it looked like you were trying split-S's.
It did kinda look like that. It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but there was a 45 degree upline at the beginning of those two maneuvers.

Sometimes I still think I'm cheating myself buying a Mooney instead of a fun acro plane.
Yea, but it would be better for your eyes if you avoided pulling Gs. I know you certainly fell in love with aerobatics.

Diana,
Another classic! Thanks for posting this, your videos always give me bad urges to go spend money on more acro flying!!!! (which is a good thing) Hope all is well.
Chris, maybe it's time to give in to those urges. :D

We haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you're doing a lot of flying out there. :)

awesome diana, i love watching you fly. Hopefully Chris and I can make it down there next month!

Diana,

Thank you for posting that - an inspiring example of the sky dances this mere mortal can hope to one day perform.

Must. Get. Another. Citabria. Fix.

Brent, I imagine that Bill Jennings can get you the number for the gentleman he flew with a few years ago in a Citabria. Not too far from Chattanooga, if I remember correctly. Bill even has several threads about his acro flights in our aerobatic forum here.

I wanted to take lessons this past summer but I just didn't seem to make time for it. I think I will make it happen this summer.

I think I will make it happen this summer.

Actually, I feel the need to be upside down, and am going to call John shortly to schedule an hour or so of acro flying. Want to ride along? Maybe go out with him for a quick 45min intro???

It did kinda look like that. It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but there was a 45 degree upline at the beginning of those two maneuvers.

I saw that, but thought you were doing that so you'd be horizontal when starting the pull on the spit-S. I know when I did aileron rolls, we pitched up 30-45 degrees, did the roll, and we'd end up 30 degrees nose down after the roll. So, it seems reasonable to pitch up before the 1/2 roll if you wanted to be horizontal when starting the pull. But then, what do I know??? :rofl:

Yea, but it would be better for your eyes if you avoided pulling Gs. I know you certainly fell in love with aerobatics.

I still think I'm going to treat myself to an hour or so once a year. Gotta keep on on those spins, right??? :D

Diana,

Thank you for posting that - an inspiring example of the sky dances this mere mortal can hope to one day perform.

Must. Get. Another. Citabria. Fix.
When you finish building that Sonex you will have better access to acro. :) Or the Midget Mustang...is that one aerobatic?

When you finish building that Sonex you will have better access to acro. :) Or the Midget Mustang...is that one aerobatic?

The Midget is +9/-6 - so, you betcha. But, it picks up speed fast going downhill.

Guess I better get back out to the shop!

Very nice, Diana! :yes:

FWIW, I didn't see a thing "wrong" with anything you were doing. Except maybe that tie-down rope that's still hanging off your wing. ;) :rofl:

Looks like an awful lot of fun. I want a ride at Gaston's. :)

Hopefully Chris and I can make it down there next month!
Oh, I need to add a disclaimer. Depending on court dates, restraining orders and re-painting issues, it may or may not be in pieces again sometime in the near (or distant) future.

Actually, I feel the need to be upside down, and am going to call John shortly to schedule an hour or so of acro flying. Want to ride along? Maybe go out with him for a quick 45min intro???

Sweet....let me know when and where.

Oh, YIKES! Restraining orders?!?!?!?
Yea, it's getting kinda messy. You know, between the mess with the Citabria, cancer issues, getting chemical pneumonitis from the dope fumes, temporarily giving up on my dream of competing, and losing a good friend last year, I'm thinking 2006 wasn't my favorite year. Surely this year will be better...that's my plan anyway.

Last edited:
Back