New CFI Today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Just got a text from Ted, he finished his ride today. Congrats!

Congratulations. I knew you when ...

Thanks! While it's not been as difficult as many had it, it has been an ordeal. It resulted in three trips to the FSDO with one failure.

My first trip to the FSDO was about 6 weeks ago, when I went down with the intention of getting the ride done. Unfortunately, the weather had other ideas. I had to fly the plane down and back, shooting an ILS on both ends. I got the oral portion of the checkride done, and then received a letter of discontinuance due to weather. That took the better part of 6 hours.

The next time I went down was a few weeks later. That time the weather cooperated. We ended up flying for close to 3 hours. This FSDO actually does spins, and so I had to show up in a spin-approved 172. We did spins and all the non-complex aspects of the checkride in the 172. That part I passed. Then my instructor showed up with his Comanche, which didn't go as well. While I have issues with why the guy failed me for it (as does my instructor), the short of it was that he didn't like the emergency gear procedures. That visit totaled about another 5 hours.

Today was the third time. He told me it would be a short trip, and it was. Other than going over the paperwork on either end, we didn't spend more than 20 minutes at the plane, going over the specific area that he didn't like last time. We came back, he typed up my temporary, and then my instructor and I flew home in the Comanche.

This was, by far, the most difficult checkride I've taken. I do fully understand and agree why they need to make it hard, given the responsibility that is placed upon an instructor, but it was definitely a challenge.

A bit under 2 years since my first lesson. 450 hours, 5 check rides. Time to update my signature.

Who wants to learn to fly? :)

Interesting on the requirement to do spins - I thought that you were only required to demonstrate them if you didn't have the spin endorsement.

Well done Ted. Way to stick with it.

A bit under 2 years since my first lesson. 450 hours, 5 check rides. Time to update my signature.
For someone who's not planning to make a living at it that is pretty stunning progress. Two years after my first lesson I had my private and had flown around a little...

For someone who's not planning to make a living at it that is pretty stunning progress. Two years after my first lesson I had my private and had flown around a little...

I pretty much either do something or don't, with not a lot of in between. :)

Congratulations! (Too bad we won't see you this weekend to congratulate you in person! :()

Many congratulations indeed. I suspect you will make a fine instructor. I cannot imagine a more worthy recipient.

Congrats on the CFI.

Sooo I have this question about logging PIC time... :D

Ya, congrats Ted, you big overachiever.:cheerswine: I am interested as a Comanche pilot what you and your instructor did for emergency gear proceedures and what the FSDO thought was better.

Rick

Woohoo Ted! I can finally log the time I spend flying with you!

Woohoo Ted! I can finally log the time I spend flying with you!
He didn't say he had a MEI, did he? That would be a feat, though I guess that taken together a 172 and a Comanche constitute multi-engine! :)

(Or weren't you talking about in his plane? :confused:)

Whoops, brain fart, I thought you were still flying the Mooney for a second.

Buh Ha Ha... I have my own instructor!

Congrats Ted!

Ok, now go get the doubleI, I don't care about the MEI!

Missa
<too bad he doesn't listen>

<too bad he doesn't listen>

That must be one of those habits I picked up from the person who got me interested in flying in the first place. ;)

Congratulations, Ted. I knew it was just a matter of time before you got there. Perhaps one day I'll be able to catch up with you for that multi lesson...

Congratulations, Ted. I knew it was just a matter of time before you got there. Perhaps one day I'll be able to catch up with you for that multi lesson...

MEI is coming up soon, so anytime after that I'd be glad to take you up and put an entry in your logbook. :)

So did you exercise your new certificate yet? :)

Not yet! We were going to yesterday, but the student developed a bad headache later in the day, so we decided to postpone. If I was at 6Y9 I'm sure I'd use it. Ed and I already talked about going flying in the Comanche and having a dangerous combination (two CFIs, one of whom took his check ride in a Comanche, and the other of whom owns the Comanche).

Ted, congratulations! You are a busy guy, but you get things done. You'll be a great instructor.

Congratulation Ted way to go but we knew you would do it without doubt.

Back