New Cessna LSA roomier than 152

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
I am glad to see that the LSA has a 48" cockpit. The Cessna 152 was just too snug for me.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

The Cessna LSA is 48" wide and looked to have good leg room. I saw it when I was at Osh this year.

ApacheBob said:
It was posted on Aero-News.net (I hope it is legal to give you the link).:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=6ed16770-6e8b-4aac-9d0b-41f2db907947&

:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Loved the line:

"Gross weight of 1,320 feet "

We're calculating weight now in quarter miles??? :confused:

:no: :no: :no:

(edit) Hmmm .... I thought that LSA were supposed to be "affordable" so that the general public would be enticed to learn to fly, and purchase them ! The inference, was that they'd begin at somewhere below 100K.
They call that affordable?? Why buy that when for "a few dollars" more you can get
a new 4 px 172... Same hangar space needed...

Last edited:
Chache said:
(edit) Hmmm .... I thought that LSA were supposed to be "affordable" so that the general public would be enticed to learn to fly, and purchase them ! The inference, was that they'd begin at somewhere below 100K.
They call that affordable?? Why buy that when for "a few dollars" more you can get
a new 4 px 172... Same hangar space needed...

That is why Cessna has not yet committed to actually making the LSA. They won't do it if they can't get the price below $100K.

Yeah, $100K is a lot, but a 172 is not "a few dollars" more, it's almost twice as much. This would be a significant drop in the price of entry, it would legitimize the sport pilot/LSA category, and would give flight schools a much better "cheap" option than a ratty old 152. Plus, the performance and styling is way better than a 152. :yes:

Is it cheap enough to have one parked at every house in your neighborhood? No. :no: But ask yourself... Is that what you really want? I think the Cessna LSA would be a significant step for the industry (and I mean the entire industry, not just the LSA segment).

flyingcheesehead said:
That is why Cessna has not yet committed to actually making the LSA. They won't do it if they can't get the price below $100K.

Yeah, $100K is a lot, but a 172 is not "a few dollars" more, it's almost twice as much. This would be a significant drop in the price of entry, it would legitimize the sport pilot/LSA category, and would give flight schools a much better "cheap" option than a ratty old 152. Plus, the performance and styling is way better than a 152. :yes:

Is it cheap enough to have one parked at every house in your neighborhood? No. :no: But ask yourself... Is that what you really want? I think the Cessna LSA would be a significant step for the industry (and I mean the entire industry, not just the LSA segment).
Well sais Kent, I saw it at Oshkosh and I belive Cessna will build it and it will sell very well.

Regards Mike

What do I know, but....

I think the real meat of the market for LSAs won't be for ownership but for training fleets. Why buy, for example, a Diamond Eclipse for, say, $180k, when you can have a Cessna LSA for maybe $100k-ish? And in that case, why even think of buying a Warrior? LSAs will have 2 seats, low fuel burn, be easy to fly and maintain, and can even be certified for IFR, which the Diamond never will (unless Diamond spends $$$ getting it lightning certified). Note, a 2 seater is less attractive on the rental line outside of training, so there should still be a market for 4 seat rentals.

I think the new LSAs make sense as trainers. As single-owner new buys, it's a little harder for me to see (although clearly, they are selling). As with any new market there will be a shakeout.

We'll see what happens.

Back