New Carry on Rules from American Airlines

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Guess I will not be flying through Heathrow anymore.

Updated Baggage And Travel Policy Information
c.gif

Information is current as of 3:30 p.m. CT August 10

New UK Carry-On Baggage Restrictions | Travel Change Policy

Due to additional carry-on baggage procedures issued by federal authorities, some airports may be experiencing heavy congestion. Please allow plenty of time for security screening.

Effective immediately, no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted at the security checkpoints or in carry-on baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, perfumes and other items of similar consistency. This policy also includes liquid and gel products purchased as duty free. All liquid and gel items must be placed in checked baggage only.

Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.

Due to these changes, American Airlines and American Eagle will waive excess baggage charges for those passengers who need to check their carry-on bags due to these new restrictions, up to a maximum of two excess pieces.

New UK Carry-On Baggage Restrictions
Effective immediately all carry-on baggage must be processed as checked baggage for all flights departing from or connecting through airports in the United Kingdom (U.K.).

Nothing may be carried in passengers' pockets. Passengers may only take the following items through the airport security checkpoint, in a single transparent plastic bag:
  • pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (money, credit cards, identity cards, etc. but not handbags or purses)
  • travel documents essential for the journey (passports and travel tickets)
  • prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (a diabetic kit for example), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
  • eye glasses and sunglasses, without cases
  • contact lens cases, without bottles of solution
  • for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (wipes, creams, disposal bags)
  • female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed
  • tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
  • keys (but no electrical key fobs)
If an item does not appear in the list above it is NOT allowed. Additionally, no liquids, gels or other items of similar consistency are permitted to enter the sterile areas except for a) baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; b) prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's travel documents; c) insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines. This also includes liquids and gel products purchased as duty free.

All U.K. transiting passengers will be required to check any carry-ons they bring to the airport regardless of origination. Passengers who have already departed the US and will be connecting in the UK will not be allowed to use the transit area in the UK airports and will be routed back to the ticket counters to check their carry-on luggage.

Return to Top

Travel Change Policy
Due to newly-instituted baggage restrictions which have resulted in congestion at security checkpoints, American is offering you the convenience to change your travel as shown below.

The following options apply for customers traveling to any U.S. or international destination whose tickets were issued no later than August 9, 2006:
  • You may change your origination travel date to travel as late as September 1, 2006
  • You may request a refund in the form of a travel voucher for nonrefundable tickets
  • If you are traveling on an AAdvantage award, we will refund the miles to the applicable account with no reinstatement fee, OR allow for a change of destination in the correct redemption inventory (applicable co-payments are refundable)
Under this policy, no fee will apply for changes providing that your origination travel falls between August 10 and September 1, 2006.

For complete details and assistance with changing your travel plans, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 or AAdvantage Reservations at 1-800-882-8880 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page for Reservations contact information.

Well since these sick people have no problem blowing up their selves or children guess they wouldn't have a problem putting it in baby formula.

smigaldi said:
Guess I will not be flying through Heathrow anymore.
It is here also. Every US airport, I believe.

So now on your 4 hr layover, you need to buy 3 $8 bottles of water from the airport. I bet the tip came in from the airport resturants.

Fine take my water, but I think they should give bottles for free or at cost inside the terminal.

Eamon said:
It is here also. Every US airport, I believe.

So now on your 4 hr layover, you need to buy 3 $8 bottles of water from the airport. I bet the tip came in from the airport resturants.

Fine take my water, but I think they should give bottles for free or at cost inside the terminal.
NO all of that is NOT for the entire US! Read the letter, only part of it appplies. Like the no carry on stuff other than wallets, glasses, passport, etc. is for the UK.

For the US
Updated Baggage And Travel Policy Information
c.gif

Information is current as of 3:30 p.m. CT August 10

New UK Carry-On Baggage Restrictions | Travel Change Policy

Due to additional carry-on baggage procedures issued by federal authorities, some airports may be experiencing heavy congestion. Please allow plenty of time for security screening.

Effective immediately, no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted at the security checkpoints or in carry-on baggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, perfumes and other items of similar consistency. This policy also includes liquid and gel products purchased as duty free. All liquid and gel items must be placed in checked baggage only.

Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.

Due to these changes, American Airlines and American Eagle will waive excess baggage charges for those passengers who need to check their carry-on bags due to these new restrictions, up to a maximum of two excess pieces.
For the UK
New UK Carry-On Baggage Restrictions
Effective immediately all carry-on baggage must be processed as checked baggage for all flights departing from or connecting through airports in the United Kingdom (U.K.).

Nothing may be carried in passengers' pockets. Passengers may only take the following items through the airport security checkpoint, in a single transparent plastic bag:
  • pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (money, credit cards, identity cards, etc. but not handbags or purses)
  • travel documents essential for the journey (passports and travel tickets)
  • prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (a diabetic kit for example), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
  • eye glasses and sunglasses, without cases
  • contact lens cases, without bottles of solution
  • for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (wipes, creams, disposal bags)
  • female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed
  • tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
  • keys (but no electrical key fobs)
If an item does not appear in the list above it is NOT allowed. Additionally, no liquids, gels or other items of similar consistency are permitted to enter the sterile areas except for a) baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; b) prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's travel documents; c) insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines. This also includes liquids and gel products purchased as duty free.

All U.K. transiting passengers will be required to check any carry-ons they bring to the airport regardless of origination. Passengers who have already departed the US and will be connecting in the UK will not be allowed to use the transit area in the UK airports and will be routed back to the ticket counters to check their carry-on luggage.

Return to Top

Travel Change Policy
Due to newly-instituted baggage restrictions which have resulted in congestion at security checkpoints, American is offering you the convenience to change your travel as shown below.

The following options apply for customers traveling to any U.S. or international destination whose tickets were issued no later than August 9, 2006:
  • You may change your origination travel date to travel as late as September 1, 2006
  • You may request a refund in the form of a travel voucher for nonrefundable tickets
  • If you are traveling on an AAdvantage award, we will refund the miles to the applicable account with no reinstatement fee, OR allow for a change of destination in the correct redemption inventory (applicable co-payments are refundable)
Under this policy, no fee will apply for changes providing that your origination travel falls between August 10 and September 1, 2006.

For complete details and assistance with changing your travel plans, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 or AAdvantage Reservations at 1-800-882-8880 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page for Reservations contact information.

I tis crazy enought without having to mistakenly start rumors about no laptops on US flights and stuff that I have been hearing the talking heads say. This letter is from AA which is probably passing on the info it got from the TSA

What I think is funny is that IF you deem the inconvenience/intrusion unacceptable and want a refund, you can only get a refund in ... travel vouchers! Hello!

smigaldi said:
NO all of that is NOT for the entire US! Read the letter, only part of it appplies. Like the no carry on stuff other than wallets, glasses, passport, etc. is for the UK.

For the US

For the UK

I tis crazy enought without having to mistakenly start rumors about no laptops on US flights and stuff that I have been hearing the talking heads say. This letter is from AA which is probably passing on the info it got from the TSA
The "no laptops" thing was reported this morning from O'Hare but this afternoon they "cleared up the confusion."

mikea said:
The "no laptops" thing was reported this morning from O'Hare but this afternoon they "cleared up the confusion."

And the clarification is...? Can we carry on a laptop or not? :dunno: I am flying Saturday and it all could change, but I know my boss is less than enthusiastic that my laptop is going to be tossed in the hold, as will my cell phones......:dunno:

W.O'Boogie said:
And the clarification is...? Can we carry on a laptop or not? :dunno: I am flying Saturday and it all could change, but I know my boss is less than enthusiastic that my laptop is going to be tossed in the hold, as will my cell phones......:dunno:

Could you FedEx them to your hotel? Just an idea...

W.O'Boogie said:

Laptops OK domestic. Laptops OK on some airlines outbound to the UK. Laptops NOT OK inbound from the UK.

OTOH, be careful who you believe. A TSA screener at LGA refused several times to allow the CEO of a company's international division to carry his laptop through security. Being a good UK citizen he went back and checked it, with the predictable results. A few months later, the cops broke a theft ring at LGA that involved TSA gate screeners and TSA checked baggage screeners. Nice.

Find another way. Don't check the laptop.

I guess cell phones are also not allowed? Seems that would cause more of an uproar than the laptops.

Per the TSA website:
www.tsa.gov FAQ ID 254 updated 8/10/06 12:58PM said:
Question Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true?
Answer No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items.

There was a so-called security expert being interviewed on NPR today, both predicting and advocating that no carry-on baggage of any type be allowed on commercial flights nationwide, other than "travel documents" carried in clear plastic envelopes. And then he had the audacity to suggest that we were going to just have to "rely on airline catering service." Excuse me? What catering service would that be?!? The one that airlines are busily doing away with? I wanted to reach through the radio and throttle him, for more than one reason.

Some of you that have been to Israel can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are carry-on baggage restrictions on Israeli buses. Wonder why? (Actually I don't wonder why, I think I know exactly B) )

Damn glad to here it too...I am flying in two weeks and even my wife was like "you are not checking your laptop are you"?

I mean I was SERIOUSLY considering renting a car and driving from Atlanta to Dallas...yup, I would rather drive 10-12 hours then deal with the absurdity of checking my laptop.

Note that flying out of/through the UK, you're not even allowed to have a book?

If an item does not appear in the list above it is NOT allowed.
Next thing you know, they'll not only use Elizabeth's idea of yoke restraints, but will have everyone naked on top of it!

And on top of it, you may not even be able to bring your car key (some keys have integrated alarm fobs, e.g. VW and Mercedes)
keys (but no electrical key fobs)

alaskaflyer said:
Some of you that have been to Israel can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are carry-on baggage restrictions on Israeli buses. Wonder why? (Actually I don't wonder why, I think I know exactly B) )

Ok I did get extra screening my last trip to Israel, seems they don't like it when you illegally enter the country with a gun nor if you are a Hebrew school drop out, but that is a whole other story. ;)

There were no extra restriction on carry on. Actually they seemed quite resonable. Albeit much more orgainzed than the US. I like where they tag you bags (all of them, check and carry on), they are then screened, you pick them up and go to security counter. The agent there scans the tags on your bag and the image from the x-ray shows up on a display and they look it over with you standing there and if they have any question you open up your luggage right then and there.

That was the normal procedure, like I said I qualified for the extra special interogation and screening so I had a lot more than that.

alaskaflyer said:
There was a so-called security expert being interviewed on NPR today, both predicting and advocating that no carry-on baggage of any type be allowed on commercial flights nationwide, other than "travel documents" carried in clear plastic envelopes. And then he had the audacity to suggest that we were going to just have to "rely on airline catering service." Excuse me? What catering service would that be?!? The one that airlines are busily doing away with? I wanted to reach through the radio and throttle him, for more than one reason.

There was an "expert" on one of the talking-head news channels today cheering the TSA action banning liquids. There are, he says, two major security holes to plug: cargo in the baggage holds and SAMs.

BTW, there are rumors rolling around about the TSA discussing carryon bans with the airlines. The general consensus is that the current liquids ban will last for weeks, if not months. THe radio pundits are saying "the world has changed again"....

wsuffa said:
There was an "expert" on one of the talking-head news channels today cheering the TSA action banning liquids. There are, he says, two major security holes to plug: cargo in the baggage holds and SAMs.

BTW, there are rumors rolling around about the TSA discussing carryon bans with the airlines. The general consensus is that the current liquids ban will last for weeks, if not months. THe radio pundits are saying "the world has changed again"....
Yeah it has. People were flying on airliners yesterday. Not no more.

As Phil Boyer was saying the airlines are trying to make it so you VILL fly and not use an alternative. Maybe they can get congress to outlaw staying home.

wsuffa said:

Yep, maybe we can plug all the security holes. We can just stop going anywhere, with anything. Or maybe we can dig little holes in the ground and cower in them.

I just cancelled my flight to Atlanta the week of the 20th. With the revised time frames to catch a flight I can leave Atlanta and be sitting on my sofa before the plane levels off in flight :mad:

BTW, the head of ATA said tonight that ALL passengers at ALL airports will undergo two screenings starting tomorrow. One at the checkpoint, and a second full search at the gate.

Rumor has it that this is a precursor to banning all carryons. One congressman has already been quoted as saying this is the end of carryons.

Rumor also has it that Chertoff is trolling the Hill saying that TSA's budget needs to triple.

It's going to be uglier and uglier. I think I'd be selling travel stocks about now (except for the sheeple that think this is a good thing).

From an AP story.

"It was not clear how long the restrictions would remain in effect. One lawmaker, Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., said the situation "eliminates the days of carry-on baggage." "

wsuffa said:
BTW, the head of ATA said tonight that ALL passengers at ALL airports will undergo two screenings starting tomorrow. One at the checkpoint, and a second full search at the gate.

Rumor has it that this is a precursor to banning all carryons. One congressman has already been quoted as saying this is the end of carryons.

Rumor also has it that Chertoff is trolling the Hill saying that TSA's budget needs to triple.

It's going to be uglier and uglier. I think I'd be selling travel stocks about now (except for the sheeple that think this is a good thing).

It works. They interviewed a moron on TV who said "It's as safe as it's ever been." I thought, "he said, as his (parts waved) because he was stripped naked."

Bah, TSA needs *MORE* money? There's plenty enough taxes on the damn tickets as it is (and one of those taxes are TSA funding taxes)... Airlines aren't gonna keep absorbing them all too much longer...

As for the eletronics (PDA, iPod, laptop, cell phones et al)... Within the Americas, they're ok. It's the UK, where you have the lil' problem of not having them with you. I haven't seen any new security ASSOP notices yet, but then again, I don't go back to work until Sunday... It was fun enough yesterday morning... /le sigh.

And remmeber, you don't HAVE to take off your shoes either .... but if you don't you'll be selected for extra screening and have to take off your shoes.

Per the TSA website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.tsa.gov FAQ ID 254 updated 8/10/06 12:58PM
Question Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true?
Answer No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items.

Well, in light of all those new and totally stupid directives, I will keep flying with EL AL.

With EL AL you can bring all your goodies aboard.

They just look for the terrorists instead of annoying peaceful people...

But, hey, those Israelis...absolutely NOT politically correct - what a shame !

Armageddon Aviator said:
Well, in light of all those new and totally stupid directives, I will keep flying with EL AL.

With EL AL you can bring all your goodies aboard.

They just look for the terrorists instead of annoying peaceful people...

But, hey, those Israelis...absolutely NOT politically correct - what a shame !
Now if we could just get the law changed so El Al could fly within the U.S.

I just do not see how they can get away with banning carry-ons.

Seriously....many, many business people travel and working on your laptop on a plane is a big part of that (I have met consultants that HAVE to work on a plane to keep their billable hours inline).

What about all of those portable DVD players, the Sony PSP, the PocketPC/Palm...all devices that were directly or indirectly designed and used for travel on an aircraft?

Hell with no carryons that can even mean no books!

I may have to think about a career change or I will be doing a LOT of driving.

tdager said:
What about all of those portable DVD players, the Sony PSP, the PocketPC/Palm...all devices that were directly or indirectly designed and used for travel on an aircraft?

Oh, god... imagine how annoying little kids are going to be now that they don't have their game/music/book to distract them!! It's almost like the TSA is putting little terrorists on board to terrorize you!

(note: I don't think all little kids are annoying... I'm talking about the ones that tend to be undisciplined/untrained/allowed to run wild and are already annoying... imagine how they're gonna be now! On YOUR flight! In the row behind / in front of you! YIKES.)

Troy Whistman said:
Oh, god... imagine how annoying little kids are going to be now that they don't have their game/music/book to distract them!! It's almost like the TSA is putting little terrorists on board to terrorize you!

(note: I don't think all little kids are annoying... I'm talking about the ones that tend to be undisciplined/untrained/allowed to run wild and are already annoying... imagine how they're gonna be now! On YOUR flight! In the row behind / in front of you! YIKES.)
One of the funniest posts I saw Wednesday:

"They banned carrying on children's toys! Just put my kids on the airplane for 4 hours with no way to amuse them and the other passengers will pray for an actual terrorist on the plane!."

Eamon said:

I flew Thursday morning and Friday afternoon. No liquids of any kind including what's purchased in the terminal! No coffee, no water, no nothing! No deoderant! No toothpaste! No lip balm! And no, this does not mean the airlines are going to give you more than the usual two tablespoons of water over 6 ice cubes only once during the flight! Duty Free shops are complaining because now they can't sell booze, perfume or any other liquid - obviously can't check it as you've already checked in. One shop said it was 65% of their business down the drain.

God help us when the terrorists learn to make explosives that look like a hamburger or sandwich!:hairraise:

Was speaking to the AA flight attendant on Thursday and he said it was so bad they took a liquid prescription medicine from one of the pilots!!!

Sure hope it wasn't his anti-depressant!:D

Noooo, wait until they start carrying such things .... internally. Of course, then they'll have to have subway straps instead of seats ... I mean who wants to sit down after the TSA finishes with their anal probe?

bstratt said:
God help us when the terrorists learn to make explosives that look like a hamburger or sandwich!:hairraise:

WE are at a crossroads. Do we get out of Iraq (civil war) or do the legions roll both to Damascus and to Teheran. Sigh.

The end of air travel as we know it.

"lemme tell you a story, sonny, about this mythical thing we once had, it was called 'carry on baggage'.''

Shame on us. We need to hire Mossad to be our security consultants. Problem would go away.

bstratt said:
I guess we'll just starve, since the airlines won't give you one either.

Here are the rules from the TSA:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/new-items.shtm

Note how they revel in nail gloss pictures.

They also were not suppsoed to take away stuff from the pilots but you don't expect the gate agents to be intelligent, trained, and logical, do you?

The ban on gel insoles is going to be a problem. Have you checked your Nikes to see if they have the gel sole gimmick? You LIKE walking around barefoot?

WE should have prepared for this years ago. WE didn't. It's not like liquids haven't been tried before. TSA claims to have been caught flatfooted.

WE should be finding the criminals. Instead, WE're banning things from the cabin, reactively.

THEY will just find something else to use, you name it, food is as good as anything (after all, there is NO food services on most domestic flights). So then you have to ban that stuff. At some point you run out of things to ban. Then what? Passengers have to wear hospital gowns?

And forget checking things - might as well leave your bag on a streetcorner in a rough part of town. There are a bunch of reasons that *any* frequent traveler takes stuff on carry-ons.

Banning stuff from the cabin doesn't hurt Ma and Pa Vacationer like it does a business traveler. An added 2 hours for a flight (extra hour for security on the front end, and an hour+ to get your bag at the back end) destroys any reason for taking a short flight. It's more convenient to drive.

This WILL drive more folks into GA, and cause the airlines to moan more. Don't think it affects us? Think user fees, then think again. More high-paying business travelers flying GA will make more pressure for user fees.

Anybody else catch the news reports claiming that the US pressured the UK to make the arrests NOW, where the UK security folks wanted to watch them longer and identify more participants? Yes, MSM, so you really have to wonder what the truth is. But if it's true, then the knee-jerk reaction becomes even less understandable.

Not that anyone would think that this was done for political purposes. Nope, no one in the US would ever think that. :rolleyes:

Bruce is right... the other shoe has not dropped on this yet.

Read Adam's post in the other string. Shin Beth is doing something right. We need to be doing that.
adamS said:
There was an excellent program on the History Channel a while ago about airlines' security.

Basically, EL AL is using a method of ethnic profiling and a clever short interview method (the system was developed by the Shin Beth ).

It's not politically correct but the basis to that approach is VERY rational:

1. 98% of all aircraft hijackings and bombings in the past 35 years were committed by Muslims under the age of 40.

2. No aircraft were ever hijacked by Israeli Jews in the past 5000 years.

That's it - common sense. Look where you're supposed to look. Stop pretending that wolves are sheeps...
And it's not racial profiling when- ALL but one of the last 36 terror events were committed by islamic men under the age of 40. The OKC bombing was THE exception. If you're islamic, and a male under 40, I apologize. Then I would say the you need to go do something about your terrorist brethern....before WE do.

Last edited:
I flew east coast to Idaho on Friday--no problems. Cell phones and laptops allowed. They did have an additional security checkpoint at the gate. But, with liquid explosives being presumably easy to conceal on one's person, and electronics allowed, I'm not sure what that accomplished.

I posted this on an other board, but thought ya'll might enjoy too.

Teacher Arrested

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual, later discovered to be a public school teacher, was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare, a slide rule, and a calculator.

At a morning press conference, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

"Al-Gebra is a fearsome cult, "Gonzales said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute value. They use secret code names like 'x' and 'y' and refer to themselves as unknowns, but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, "There are 3 sides to every triangle."

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes."

It accomplished getting a lot of press right before the start of the next gvmt fiscal year ...

p8cleared2land said:
I'm not sure what that accomplished.

Back