New Basic Com 2 Options?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I have a GNC300XL that ALL I use it for is my Com2 and it is literally falling part. Knobs broken, label and buttons worn off...time to retire it.

Want to replace it with a basic com 2 radio. Have GNS430 for Com 1 and GMA340 Com Panel.

Don't need fancy nor want to spend more than I have to, just need functionality. Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

By far the best option is a good working 300XL. I think I have 2 on the shelf. I would let one go for $1,200.

By far the best option is a good working 300XL. I think I have 2 on the shelf. I would let one go for $1,200.

Was considering that as well to save on installation labor of putting in a whole different unit.

I may just see if Garmin will still repair since it works fine and is all just cosmetic vs dropping $1200-$1500 on a new Com 2 or replacement 300XL

Some of the best sounding radios I've installed were the ICOM aviation radios... Might be something to do with the fact they are made by a company that specializes in radios...

How about the new PAR200B?

http://ps-engineering.com/PAR200B.shtml

It is also Plug ‘N Play with the GMA340. The only new wiring is the RS-232 cable and power to the remote mounted radio. You’ll not only gain a new Trig transceiver but panel space too.

The PAR200B has IntelliAudio too!

Last edited:
Jesse’s probably right, but I think your plane might be saying GNC-255A.

Why?

Seems the 300xl gives you a moving map, I’d just fix it up or swap in another 300xl if the price was right, otherwise a 430 with cross fill would be pretty nice. The new 255 seems cool but super basic, so shy of a super basic low price not seeing the appeal.

Why?

Seems the 300xl gives you a moving map, I’d just fix it up or swap in another 300xl if the price was right, otherwise a 430 with cross fill would be pretty nice. The new 255 seems cool but super basic, so shy of a super basic low price not seeing the appeal.

Your point is a good towards the OP’s decision. The other point is lifespan consideration of the investment. A GNC-255a is a 20+ year solution with com and Nav.

Your point is a good towards the OP’s decision. The other point is lifespan consideration of the investment. A GNC-255a is a 20+ year solution with com and Nav.

I’ve seen those old flip digit radios still transmitting 5x5, and those are older than quite a few pilots flying them.

get on Bennett Avionics site and you can compare them. The power of the KY196 (I think...) is fabulous by comparison to some of the other comms. Like twice as much power. Depending on where you fly, etc., can be a big factor for getting out there. Had a stack of King Silver-something radios (like the kn53 nav) and they were a huge upgrade. Work really well and are plentiful.
best,
dan

Back