New Aviation Instructors Manual and old CFI PTS

gdwinc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gdwinc
So, the new version of the AIH (FAA-H-8083-9B) was published in June, but the CFI PTS was published in 2012 (last revised in 2018) and has not been revised to match the flow of the new AIH. Has anyone taken the CFI initial check ride (or signed off a student instructor) since the new AIH was published who has experience in what the examiner will be looking for during the oral.

Here's an example... Task G: Risk Management in the PTS has sub-task 3. Level of Risk, which was a specific section of the Risk Management chapter of the old AIH. Now the material that was in the Level of Risk section is found in a couple of different sub-sections of the Defining Risk Management section of the new AIH. Without referencing the old AIH, it would be very difficult to know what to present to an examiner for the Level of Risk sub-task. Any advice on the best way to prep for the oral? Do I need to be conversant in both the old and new AIH?

Another example of an area I am unclear... the old version in the Risk Management chapter included the PAVE checklist under the 'mitigating risk' section, but the new version has PAVE in the 'identifying risk' part of the risk management process. I assume an examiner is going to expect me to present PAVE as a way to identify risk since that is the way it is structured in the new AIH. Is that correct, and will all examiners be up to speed on the change?

So, the new version of the AIH (FAA-H-8083-9B) was published in June, but the CFI PTS was published in 2012 (last revised in 2018) and has not been revised to match the flow of the new AIH. Has anyone taken the CFI initial check ride (or signed off a student instructor) since the new AIH was published who has experience in what the examiner will be looking for during the oral.

Here's an example... Task G: Risk Management in the PTS has sub-task 3. Level of Risk, which was a specific section of the Risk Management chapter of the old AIH. Now the material that was in the Level of Risk section is found in a couple of different sub-sections of the Defining Risk Management section of the new AIH. Without referencing the old AIH, it would be very difficult to know what to present to an examiner for the Level of Risk sub-task. Any advice on the best way to prep for the oral? Do I need to be conversant in both the old and new AIH?

Another example of an area I am unclear... the old version in the Risk Management chapter included the PAVE checklist under the 'mitigating risk' section, but the new version has PAVE in the 'identifying risk' part of the risk management process. I assume an examiner is going to expect me to present PAVE as a way to identify risk since that is the way it is structured in the new AIH. Is that correct, and will all examiners be up to speed on the change?

If you're preparing with this level of detail, don't worry about it -- your practical test ground portion will go fine either way.

A reasonable explanation is all that's required.

Back