New Apple Gizmos

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
iPad Pro - 12.9" display and supposedly really fast. That is a mighty big display on the iPad Pro. It might be nice as a laptop replacement but it is actually too big to use in the airplane - at least on the yoke as I currently use the regular iPad Air. That means it can't pull double duty as EFB and work tablet = no sale for me.

iPhone 6s and 6s+ are faster with bigger/better cameras. No potential new capabilities aviation-wise here as far as I can tell other than...

"3D Touch" is apparently what they are calling the thing that all the tech bloggers (and probably Apple too) had been calling force touch. The pressure sensitive touch thing. EFBs may be able to take advantage of this in some clever ways that I can't think of right now.

iPad Mini 4 (thanks for the reminder PG) - definitely useful in the airplane.

The new Apple TV looks nifty I guess but not much aviation-related.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/09...ipad-pro-the-september-apple-event-live-blog/

Last edited:
more importantly, the mini 4 as well. And a big price drop on the mini 2

Question is, can (2) panel mounted iPad Pro's take the place of a G1000?

:D

David

They announced they're finally cutting the price on iCloud storage. Good!

Great point - forgot that one. That one is definitely useful in the plane.
I've been waiting to replace my ipad 2, otherwise I wouldn't care. Mini 4 it is I guess.

I've been waiting to replace my ipad 2, otherwise I wouldn't care. Mini 4 it is I guess.
Me too. Leslie uses a mini in the plane, but I like the bigger display of my Ipad 2, but it is slow as a brick these days. And the new Ipad Pro is probably just too big for the plane. I think. I might have to experiment with a thick cardboard cutout to see if it is feasible. Now if I could find space on the panel for it . . .

Me too. Leslie uses a mini in the plane, but I like the bigger display of my Ipad 2, but it is slow as a brick these days. And the new Ipad Pro is probably just too big for the plane. I think. I might have to experiment with a thick cardboard cutout to see if it is feasible. Now if I could find space on the panel for it . . .
kind of in the same boat, the ipad air is the same screen size as the ipad 2, but a smaller case and less bezel around the screen. The -2 is too big for the cockpit in the current plane. It was fine in a 182. I don't know if the air will be small enough to be better.

the mini will yoke mount, but I already feel the screen is a little small on the -2 for approach plates.

I'm still a bit torn. I'm a wingxpro user, they don't do a full screen plate quite like foreflight. I'd email wingx and suggest it, but they won't respond anyway so why bother?

I've really liked the iPad Air 2 on the yoke in my 182. I use it portrait and upside down (button at top) with the Ram mount and it doesn't block too much.

Question is does the mini 4 have the anti glare coating like the Air2 ?

David

HAHA - not only help fly the plane but you can also check facebook at the same time!!!

I've been patiently waiting for the next upgrade to replace my aging iphone 5.

The 6 plus looked really appealing to me as something small enough I could find a place for it near or around my panel without obstructing more view than I'm ok with. I'll probably be ordering a 6s plus as soon as they are available on the website

Considering paying full price for an unlocked GSM phone and trying out one of the alternative providers like Ting or Straight talk to save some money. We text a little, call very little, and I doubt we use much data on the road. I'm mainly worried about coverage- when I need data or to send/receive texts and phone calls I really do need it.

I've really liked the iPad Air 2 on the yoke in my 182. I use it portrait and upside down (button at top) with the Ram mount and it doesn't block too much.
it's fine in the 182 but in the mooney the panel is a lot shorter and it blocks the HSI

The 6 plus looked really appealing to me as something small enough I could find a place for it near or around my panel without obstructing more view than I'm ok with. I'll probably be ordering a 6s plus as soon as they are available on the website

Considering paying full price for an unlocked GSM phone and trying out one of the alternative providers like Ting or Straight talk to save some money. We text a little, call very little, and I doubt we use much data on the road. I'm mainly worried about coverage- when I need data or to send/receive texts and phone calls I really do need it.

I don't know what EFB app you use but bear in mind that the 6+ uses the iphone version of apps; not the ipad version, so you may end up with a limited feature set (ForeFlight does this). I tried the 6+ but without the full FF feature set it wasn't worth the extra inconvenience...

There was some discussion of such usage over at Van's Air Force.....

Just ordered an iPad mini 4 to replace my mini 2 (the original retina display iPad mini) and will be ordering an iPhone 6S on Sunday morning to replace the current iPhone 6. I might get the AppleTV too although I don't see a huge benefit over the regular one I have now.

I don't really get the iPad Pro since I was really happy to go to the iPad mini from the regular sized apple but then again I dont get the + size phones and wish there was still an iPhone 5S sized one you could buy. I find the 6 big and bulky.

I don't know what EFB app you use but bear in mind that the 6+ uses the iphone version of apps; not the ipad version, so you may end up with a limited feature set (ForeFlight does this). I tried the 6+ but without the full FF feature set it wasn't worth the extra inconvenience...

There was some discussion of such usage over at Van's Air Force.....

Agree. The iPad version of FF is much better than iPhone. I'd consider the iPhone version backup only.

I'm a wingxpro user, they don't do a full screen plate quite like foreflight.
I have attached a screen capture of a full screen plate from WingX. The picture is in full screen mode but can be zoomed in for more detail as desired. What does FF do that's different?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 56
I like the new Apple TV and will get it for sure. It would be interesting to see ForeFlight on the Apple TV (think the completed web version). I definitely see a lot of non-aviation use for the new Apple TV, especially in the world of sports (including fantasy sports).

The new iPad is another step towards eliminating laptops. We still have a while to go before that happens, but it's another step. I'd like to get a new iPad for the plane but the iPad Pro will be too big, especially in the Mooney.

I have attached a screen capture of a full screen plate from WingX. The picture is in full screen mode but can be zoomed in for more detail as desired. What does FF do that's different?
does it full screen, no banners.

600 some bucks for a 32gb mini with cell. Well, maybe not... almost $700 with tax... Guess my 2 can do it for me for just a little longer.

Last edited:
New IPhone really doesn't do much for me. I think I'll stick with Android for my upgrade.

I like the new Ipad Mini though.

David

I would say yes. Since my Note 3 replaced the G1000 I'm sure 2 Ipads could probably do the trick.

At these prices I might also.

I really like the new Note 5. Cheaper ($250 at Best Buy) than a IPhone 6s plus and it has twice the storage and a bunch more features. Main problem I have with the IPhone is that 16GB costs as much as a 32GB Android. Who can get by with only 16??

I really like the new Note 5. Cheaper ($250 at Best Buy) than a IPhone 6s plus and it has twice the storage and a bunch more features. Main problem I have with the IPhone is that 16GB costs as much as a 32GB Android. Who can get by with only 16??
I was just looking at the nexus 9, it's just as much as the ipad mini with LTE unless you get the international version, which I don't know will work with verizon.
Maybe a galaxy tab s2? I can't tell if the 8 comes with LTE

Last edited:
so as a new pilot (training in 172, eventually buying a Cherokee 6) which would you recommend?

Mini 2, Mini 4 or Air 2

I am a bigger guy (tall), but not super huge. Would prefer the larger screen if I can use it without getting in my way.

if I go mini, any big advantage to the mini 4 vs mini 2? It's a pretty big price difference, but I'd like to buy something we could use for many years.

so as a new pilot (training in 172, eventually buying a Cherokee 6) which would you recommend?

Mini 2, Mini 4 or Air 2

I am a bigger guy (tall), but not super huge. Would prefer the larger screen if I can use it without getting in my way.

if I go mini, any big advantage to the mini 4 vs mini 2? It's a pretty big price difference, but I'd like to buy something we could use for many years.

Mini 4 has the anti reflective screen which is much better in the cockpit. I'm upgrading next week.

I have a 5 and a 4 and was hoping for a similar sized model. There were rumors about a 6c but it didn't pan out. Maybe later, but I'm not sure there are that many people like me who like the smaller size.

I feel like you can get an antireflective screen protector and save about $300

Not the same. I've used both and the iPad Air 2 screen is much much better than any other iPad in the cockpit.. Even those with screen protectors.

Not the same. I've used both and the iPad Air 2 screen is much much better than any other iPad in the cockpit.. Even those with screen protectors.

Me too. Agree. iPad Air 2 performs really well and is super light weight. Previous iPads were tough to view due to glare & problems with polarized sunglasses. I don't think the iPad Air 2 has problems with polarization but then I stopped wearing polarized lenses back during the iPad 2 years.

Good to know.
Guess the iPad 2 is going to have to plug on another couple years for me.

Currently I use an ipad air(1st gen), and have a 1st-gen mini as a backup.

The 1 gen mini doesn't exactly run fast with the newest version of ForeFlight, so I do have my eye on the new Mini.

As far as the phone, I'm still rocking a 5s for another year LOL.

With some time to digest the announcement and listen to the pundits...

1) The Apple Watch still does not fit a use case for me or Karen. That may change over time.

2) Karen decided she wants an iPad Pro. She'll use it around the house and I'll get her Air2 for that purpose. Should be great for content - watching movies and TV shows in bed, for example. My Mini will probably just be used in the plane going forward.

3) For us, a new AppleTV is a no-brainer. 95% of the content we watch on our big screen is through our old AppleTV, which over the last several years has started to feel dated and a little buggy. Siri and apps will be cool, but the coolest feature is the "What did he say?" command, where a show will go back 15 seconds and replay with closed captioning. With our hearing that will be a Godsend.

4) Karen has her eye on a new iPhone to replace her 5s. The 6s will be a nice replacement when the time comes.

5) And, finally, I think I've given up on a new Mac laptop. My late-2008 MacBook Pro is soldiering on, and I was agonizing over the pros and cons of the new MacBook, a MacBook Air or a new MacBook Pro. But since I must admit my current MacBook Pro rarely leaves my desk, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mac Mini, using the 23" monitor and Apple keyboard I have and just getting a Magic TrackPad. Tricked out with 16 MB memory and a 2 TB Fusion hard drive, comes in around $1,300 - a lot more performance than a laptop for about the same or less spent.

21378932889_71f3726061_z.jpg

And when we DO travel, I think the iPads with Bluetooth keyboards will serve us well.

Last edited:
Seems reasonable to me. I like my Mac Mini, despite still being mostly a Windows guy.

Back