new airplane and whoa!

guys, thanks for the responses. scrubbed the cross country due to weather. planned it again for Monday. after reviewing your posts, I think the biggest "problem" I'm having is with the approach speed. it's quite a bit faster than in my 172. bottom line, I think I need to go fly the plane more.

That's the problem. I fly a 206, at 3600lb. I cross the fence at 65 for a normal landing. Short field just under 60. The common perception that these need to be flown faster because they are bigger isn't right. Perhaps 5-8 knots, but not much.

Also another thing that helps people with the heavier 182 elevator is to add just a touch of power as you round out. Not enough to completely arrest the landing, but just enough flow over the elevators to make them nice and light like a 172.

That's the problem. I fly a 206, at 3600lb. I cross the fence at 65 for a normal landing. Short field just under 60. The common perception that these need to be flown faster because they are bigger isn't right. Perhaps 5-8 knots, but not much.

Also another thing that helps people with the heavier 182 elevator is to add just a touch of power as you round out. Not enough to completely arrest the landing, but just enough flow over the elevators to make them nice and light like a 172.

LOL.... maybe I need to stop crossing the fence at 70-75 in my Cherokee......

Gonna practice that next week.

??? You are talking about Cessnas. OP has a PA32. There is a little difference. Approach speed in a PA32 is faster than a 206 or 210.

??? You are talking about Cessnas. OP has a PA32. There is a little difference. Approach speed in a PA32 is faster than a 206 or 210.

Ops, disregard. I got mixed up about what the OP was flying, yup I was talking about 182's.

Miles per hour or Knots?

MPH that might be close. I'm about 60kts in the PA28s

My short final is at 90MPH and normally when I cross the numbers I like to be 80, and it slows down rather nicely because I start my flair around 70ish. It is the 235 though, and im normally loaded around 2,300-2,400lbs

I've had some good landings this way, but I know I can get better, on the other threads people talk about energy and speed, so it makes sense if I slow it down I would have better landings, I just dont like mushy controls as im crossing the numbers....

Ops, disregard. I got mixed up about what the OP was flying, yup I was talking about 182's.

Funny thing is I got checked out in the 210 after flying the Cherokee 6 for a while. I did run into the trap of thinking that the 210 needed to be flown a lot faster than a 172.....Once I actually realized that that wasn't the case, I stopped using so much dang runway when landing!

Take the airplane up this weekend if the wx is nice and go do some slow flight . . . it will fly alot slower than you think. I can usually easily fly the Comanche below white line and its still flying - no sink rate - 45-50mph ias [yes, I know about the ASI not reading completely accurately that low] but it is reading below white line - that white line stall speed is at gross.

Seriously, go fly the plane slow. You passed your PVT ride so you can ascertain a stall speed and and actual stall . . . and recover from it.

The other way to prevent wheel barrowing the airplane down the runway is trim - do yourself a favor - trim the 182 to your approach speed of whatever it is supposed to be wings level, no flaps - engine at pattern rpm - and it'll generally maintain that speed with the flaps added but will slow down about 8mph which will be perfect . . .

then just flare it.

I've landed a 172 at 45mph ias. I imagine that you could land a 182 at the same speed at the same weight . . .

Take the airplane up this weekend if the wx is nice and go do some slow flight . . . it will fly alot slower than you think. I can usually easily fly the Comanche below white line and its still flying - no sink rate - 45-50mph ias [yes, I know about the ASI not reading completely accurately that low] but it is reading below white line - that white line stall speed is at gross.

Seriously, go fly the plane slow. You passed your PVT ride so you can ascertain a stall speed and and actual stall . . . and recover from it.

The other way to prevent wheel barrowing the airplane down the runway is trim - do yourself a favor - trim the 182 to your approach speed of whatever it is supposed to be wings level, no flaps - engine at pattern rpm - and it'll generally maintain that speed with the flaps added but will slow down about 8mph which will be perfect . . .

then just flare it.

I've landed a 172 at 45mph ias. I imagine that you could land a 182 at the same speed at the same weight . . .

Oh, I got landings in the 182 down now...I was just sharing some of my idiot moves when the plane was new to me plane in relation to the OP's original question.

Thanks for the tips though, I am always looking for new ways and ideas to learn from.

To the OP-

I have experienced the feeling of being behind the airplane even though officially checked out, in nearly every new type I have flown. I think it's pretty normal unless you have flown thousands of hours and dozens of types. If you're really having trouble, go get more dual, otherwise take your time, fly easy VFR flights with no passengers to familiar airports with slow, easy approaches and figure the beast out. For little tips and pointers that you don't have to pay for and may well be more valuable than anything an average local CFI can give you, go to a type specific forum, become a member, introduce yourself as a newbie and ask questions.

have any of you guys bought an airplane, got checked out in it, and first solo out said woah?!?! what am I doing? I did, flew a 2.7 hr cross country, with one stop, and called the CFI. we have a flight scheduled for Wednesday.
At least you didn't prang it like I did. Unfortunately, that being a single seater there was no CFI option. So I ended watching lots of Youtube videos and figured out what I was doing wrong. Got the airplane fixed and re-checked out myself again.

After 12.5 hours in a 172 (including a solo), I strapped myself to an ejection seat in an 1100 shp complex aircraft. And after another few hours of dual in that they let me solo in that orange and white T-6B. Thank you navy. But the first time we did engine run ups in that plane I thought I was going to wet my g-suit... And then we got on the runway. Brakes released and boy was I not ready for that.

syzu7yba.jpg

nume6abu.jpg

u4unureq.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ... Wait a minute, I didn't type that...

After 12.5 hours in a 172 (including a solo), I strapped myself to an ejection seat in an 1100 shp complex aircraft. And after another few hours of dual in that they let me solo in that orange and white T-6B. Thank you navy.

Wow! Just curious, did you do any kind of simulator time? That seems like a pretty big jump with almost no real experience.

Wow! Just curious, did you do any kind of simulator time? That seems like a pretty big jump with almost no real experience.

It was <edit> 21.5 </edit> hours in the aircraft, 4 hours in a sim with no visuals, and 3 in a sim with visuals, IIRC. I'm going to have to check my logbook tomorrow when I go into the squadron.

Last edited:
Back