New AD

Looks like it expands the range of SNs for magnetos, (and adds Rolls Royce engines) affected by AD 2002-13-04.

Looks like it expands the range of SNs for magnetos, (and adds Rolls Royce engines) affected by AD 2002-13-04.

did you read it ?

It says the FAA thinks the inspection can be done in 2 hours, that is to remove all accessories and the accessory case and inspect the gears, and replace every thing, 2 days maybe..

Last edited:
did you read it ?
It says the FAA thinks the inspection can be done in 2 hours, that is to remove all accessories and the accessory case and inspect the gears, and replace every thing, 2 days maybe..

Do you think those guys writing these things have grease under their nails? Likely they have no clue what is involved.

did you read it ?

2 hours is plenty to verify applicability and replace the mags. More time is obviously needed to remedy if the inspection shows a failure of the part. Same for checking for a cracked spar. The time difference is substantially more if a crack is found.

I don't see what the problem is.

Tom (and other mx professionals), what's the beef? Quote the owners a set price. If they don't like it let em walk.

So what the FAA underestimated the time. What else is new?

F the FAA.

2 hours is plenty to verify applicability and replace the mags. More time is obviously needed to remedy if the inspection shows a failure of the part. Same for checking for a cracked spar. The time difference is substantially more if a crack is found.

I don't see what the problem is.
What work is required to make the mags accessible?

Do you think those guys writing these things have grease under their nails? Likely they have no clue what is involved.
You make a good point. I would like to hear Stache answer. I happen to know other very experienced A&Ps who were offered the job. Do they help write the ADs?

What work is required to make the mags accessible?

Getting the cowl off, the 172s are not that bad but they can be, but try to get the inspection completed on a maule with the 0-300, or a swift, it take 2 people that is man hours, getting the back cap off the mag when it is sandwiched in all the other wires and stuff is freaking night mare.

If you find a missing pin (1/4" X 1/2" hard steel) and it is suspected to be in the sump. I'd simply pull the engine and work it on a stand, because the sump will not come off the case in the mounts.

Remember when everyone was hot on slicks cause they didn't have any AD's?

Remember when everyone was hot on slicks cause they didn't have any AD's?

When you consider it is only the 6 cylinder early mags it won't effect that many mags because of the 2003 AD on them.

Back