New Acting FAA Administrator

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
Current FAA Deputy Administrator Daniel Elwell, a former airline pilot and A4A (airline lobbyist) employee, will take over from Michael Huerta when his term expires this weekend. What do you think this means for ATC privatization efforts and GA in general especially if he gets the nod to take over for a full 5 year term? Should GA be concerned?

Story here.

Privatization? Not much. That's more of a congressional decision than an a FAA policy decision.

I don't know much about him. He's been deputy since the Summer and like most deputy administrators appointed by a different administration from the incumbent administrator, has kept a relatively low profile.

That said, I'm not sure folks realize what a blessing Huerta was for the FAA (and a surprising friend of GA).

But if he postures himself as an advocate for it, I would think congress would be more likely to do it.

I also think Huerta was a good administrator even with his lack of aviation experience and qualifications.

But if he postures himself as an advocate for it, I would think congress would be more likely to do it.

I also think Huerta was a good administrator even with his lack of aviation experience and qualifications.

I disagree. The administrator is going to align his preference for what ever the administration wants. Congress is generally not too concerned about what the prez, the Secretary of transportation, or the FAA wants. They're going to vote with whatever their constituents (and donors) want. We've had many administrations--both republican and democratic--in flavor of ATC privatization but ultimately what will decide is the reauthorization. It all comes down to how Congress funds the FAA.

I think all of them have been acting. . .

Be good to get one who alters the deadwood-to-productive body count to something like 1:1.

Back