New AC purchase

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Ok so I was looking at new planes and what I wanted in a new plane. Comfort is Big on the list, with avionics 2nd, and Speed third. Ok, maybe speed tied with first. My list of planes to look at included:
Cirrus SR22Gts. Love the look and speed, Hate the insurance.
Cessna Turbo Stationair, Dont care much for the looks, great G1000 avionics, and tons of room and comfort.
Mooney Bravo GX. Loved everything about it. Yes i am biased here, I love my mooney.
photo7.jpg

I came across this tad bit of information and thought Id share it with you all...From Mooney.com

mooneycompare.gif

Wondering why they dont have cessnas or Cirrus on the list for comparison? Looking at their total cost per flight hours....Its a lot more than I'm spending right now..But is it worth it....Still contimplating. I probabbly wont buy for another year yet, but thought Id start looking.

Michael

Michael said:
Ok so I was looking at new planes and what I wanted in a new plane. Comfort is Big on the list, with avionics 2nd, and Speed third. Ok, maybe speed tied with first. My list of planes to look at included:
Cirrus SR22Gts. Love the look and speed, Hate the insurance.
Cessna Turbo Stationair, Dont care much for the looks, great G1000 avionics, and tons of room and comfort.
Mooney Bravo GX. Loved everything about it. Yes i am biased here, I love my mooney.

I probabbly wont buy for another year yet, but thought Id start looking.

Michael

It sounds like you already made up your mind so why bother waiting, the price won't come down. Buy the Mooney today and enjoy it. It's a hard deal to beat on a perfectly good airplane.:yes:

Pretty slick Michael. The only thing they missed is the cost of money for purchase. The Loan Payment and Opportunity Cost of the Down Payment. Or, if paying cash, the Opportunity Cost of having the funds tied up in an airplane. This adds significantly to the hourly cost, but I'm with Henning. Just do it.

(hey, it ain't my money, or Mooney for that matter) :)

Nice planes.

Michael:

You seem to be mixing some four seaters with some six seaters: is that correct? The A-36 is a six seater. To compare a Beechcraft four, you'd need to look at used planes (the C-33; F-33 or V-35). The Malibu is also six seats.
I'd be interested in seeing how the above numbers were derived. It would be interesting to understand the comparrison better.
Can't quibble with the Mooney if that's what you like. It's a great balance of speed and efficiency for the money.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Look at the used Bravo for sale ads...check out the engine overhaul and top overhaul times...the owners didn't spend that money at 1,000 hours because they had nothing better to do with it.

From my observation the average Bravo does not make a 2,000 TBO so that component of the Mooney cost estimates is inaccurate.

That said, if I could swing a Bravo financially I'd buy one in a minute (though I'd probably spend at least 30 of those 60 seconds considering an Ovation).

Len

P.S. I once did see a Bravo listed for sale with 2,000 hours TT and a zero time engine. I figure it was the second overhaul for the aircraft. :<) - LL

P.P.S. Posts like this are probably not going to get me a Freedom tour demo ride from the Mooney factory anytime soon. :<( - LL

Len Lanetti said:
That said, if I could swing a Bravo financially I'd buy one in a minute (though I'd probably spend at least 30 of those 60 seconds considering an Ovation).
A little birdie told me that coming soon from Mooney is a turbonormalized Ovation. THAT's the ticket!

Ken Ibold said:
A little birdie told me that coming soon from Mooney is a turbonormalized Ovation. THAT's the ticket!
I heard that little tweetie too. But I'm holding out for a DA 42.

I was fortunate enough to fly the new Ovation 2 GX on their Freedom Tour. VERY impressive. The Garmin 1000 has an incredible amount of information, but of course you can get that in a 172. The Ovation 2 as I understood it has the same engine as the Cirrus 22 and the Lancair 350, but is derated to 280 HP. With proper engine management I'll bet TBO is achievable.

Ken Ibold said:

What is the difference between a turbonormalized aircraft and a turbo'd aircraft that is run at a reduced power setting?

I actually don't need a turbo'd aircraft. I live on the east coast and my preferred outbound direction is south.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
What is the difference between a turbonormalized aircraft and a turbo'd aircraft that is run at a reduced power setting?

A turbonormalized aircraft is running at full rated power, and can (theoretically) achieve book maximum performance. A turbocharged aircraft capable of developing more that 30 inches of manifold pressure run at only 30" MP is running at less than full rated power and cannot achieve book maximum performance. Thus, if both aircraft have the same performance at full power (30 inches for the turbonormalized aircraft and something more than that for the turbocharged aircraft), the turbocharged aircraft will not do as well at a reduced power setting of 30 inches.

bbchien said:
I heard that little tweetie too. But I'm holding out for a DA 42.

Bruce,

Are you on the list? Someone here at work is fairly low on the list. I will
let you know what they are like. :) He is trying to decide on the IO360
or diesel. He would really prefer to have the diesel but the latest from
Diamond is the IO360 will be available last quarter of this year, the diesel
1st quarter next year and I think that will probably slip.

greg

Back