NEW 2023 Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge FAA-H-8083-25C

pt6pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pt6pilot
The FAA has published a new version of the PHAK - Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge FAA-H-8083-25C

2023 phak.jpg

Summary of changes anywhere?
This revision of the handbook has only been updated to include the following:
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum A, dated February 2021
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum B, dated January 2022
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum C, dated March 2023
• Included language to answer National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Safety Recommendation (SR) A-21-020

This revision of the handbook has only been updated to include the following:
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum A, dated February 2021
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum B, dated January 2022
• Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge Addendum C, dated March 2023
• Included language to answer National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Safety Recommendation (SR) A-21-020

Not finding that NTSB pub. So maybe simple wording changes to the three Addendums? Source/reference?

Last edited:
Not finding that NTSB pub. So maybe simple wording changes to the three Addendums? Source/reference?
Not finding it either...
Page 5 of the new Phak lists those "Major Enhancements" :)

Oh what a wonderfully updated Manual complete with domestic flight plan form 7233-1, DME RNAV, RMI and ADF. I’ll make sure my students get right on this.

Last edited:
The NTSB recommendation referenced is "Update the Aeronautical Information Manual and the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge to include the limitations inherent in visual scans for traffic and the benefits and best practices of using cockpit displays of traffic information to supplement visual scans to help overcome these limitations."

I can't post a link but you can find it on the NTSB's website by searching the suggestion number.

Oh what a wonderfully updated Manual complete with domestic flight plan form 7233-1, DME RNAV, RMI and ADF. I’ll make sure my students get right on this.
Speaking as someone who hasn't flown in eons, what is a better reference for someone to brush up on (serious question)?

Speaking as someone who hasn't flown in eons, what is a better reference for someone to brush up on (serious question)?
Maybe the Jeppesen Discovery Private Pilot Manual if your public library has it. Otherwise it costs too much.

Maybe the Jeppesen Discovery Private Pilot Manual if your public library has it. Otherwise it costs too much.
Wow! They are proud of that thing, aren’t they?

I see that Fig 14-3 shows no wind sock. Did it still not occur to any FAA body reviewing the procedure being recommended that another aircraft could just as legitimately be flying nose-to-nose intending to land on the opposite runway in a calm wind?

Attachments

• Fig. 14-3.jpg
    Fig. 14-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
I found a used one on an online bookstore for like $9.

Back