New $100 Burger Site (and more)

walterman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Walter
I'd like to invite you all to check out my new website - www.adventurepilot.com. It's a great way to find cool places to fly, or to just fix that need for a $100 burger! Requires registration, but it's free.

I welcome any feedback.

Thanks,
Walter

Great! Did you search for stuff around your airport? See anything you didn't know about? Or, see anything missing? (if so - please add it!).

Thanks!
Walter

Nice site. I'll have to go back and look around some more. Left information on the airport cafe at PWT.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your contributions - as will any other pilot who's hunting for their next flight excuse.

-Walter

walterman said:
Thanks guys! I appreciate your contributions - as will any other pilot who's hunting for their next flight excuse.

-Walter

Cool site. Tons of info !

Dave Krall CFII said:
Cool site. Tons of info !
We have a pretty good amount of info, but a long way to go. The idea is to get enough pilots involved that the database maintains itself. We will facilitate removing things when two pilots confirm something is closed, and anything new a pilot discoveres is easially submitted. So far the model is working great.
-Walter

Looks like a wonderful sight. I need to find a restaurant to fly my mom to, if I ever get her in the plane.

I looked up an aiport near me, Centennial (APA) and someone listed all the restaurants/activities in and around Jeffco (BJC) in APA's section. Strange. Can anyone just post what they want in the activities sections?

Anthony said:
I looked up an aiport near me, Centennial (APA) and someone listed all the restaurants/activities in and around Jeffco (BJC) in APA's section. Strange. Can anyone just post what they want in the activities sections?
Anthony,
There are not APA or BJC "sections". The site will return everything within a radius of an airport, or you can search for stuff along a flight route. You specifiy what you are interested in (restaurants, museums, etc), and how many miles you are willing to fly.

In your example it looks like one of our members loaded a bunch of stuff around BJC. If you know of some stuff around APA you can submit that. Bill or I will review the submissions to make sure it's a somewhat airport-centric destination, then it's approved and made available for everyone to search. I also monitor the feedback (no approval process though), if one of our destinations goes out of business I remove it from the database. So what we have here is a community maintained database of flying destinations. So far the model is working great - we've had more pilots join and more destinations loaded in the last few weeks (we "opened our doors" late Sept) than I could have imagined.

Did this answer your question?
-Walter

Dustin said:
Looks like a wonderful sight. I need to find a restaurant to fly my mom to, if I ever get her in the plane.
Thanks Dustin. Nice avatar - did you make that yourself?

Last edited:
walterman said:
Anthony,
There are not APA or BJC "sections". The site will return everything within a radius of an airport, or you can search for stuff along a flight route. You specifiy what you are interested in (restaurants, museums, etc), and how many miles you are willing to fly.

In your example it looks like one of our members loaded a bunch of stuff around BJC. If you know of some stuff around APA you can submit that. Bill or I will review the submissions to make sure it's a somewhat airport-centric destination, then it's approved and made available for everyone to search. I also monitor the feedback (no approval process though), if one of our destinations goes out of business I remove it from the database. So what we have here is a community maintained database of flying destinations. So far the model is working great - we've had more pilots join and more destinations loaded in the last few weeks (we "opened our doors" late Sept) than I could have imagined.

Did this answer your question?
-Walter

Yes! Thanks Walter. I thought it worked like Airnav, but I understand what you are saying and how it works. I also realize the database is new and people haven't yet had a chance to add things at APA or many others I'm sure. Great site BTW, has lots of potential.

Thanks Anthony! I hope you login and start uploading your knowledge of APA. You will get attribution for the destinations you add, and the system will e-mail you when someone has more feedback on your destinations (unless you turn that off). It's a bunch of fun.

-Walter

Last edited:
I just posted a few of the places I have been to. Glad to see a free restaurant site up again. I was a poster at the other place before it went paid. Good luck with your enterprise. I will keep posting.

Jim G

grattonja said:
I just posted a few of the places I have been to. Glad to see a free restaurant site up again. I was a poster at the other place before it went paid. Good luck with your enterprise. I will keep posting.

Jim G
Thanks for the nice words. Not only is this site free, it's very current, reviews are all dated, and there are lots of ways to search the data - category, location, proximity to airport, etc.

We have a good amount of stuff loaded, as one member said we "reached that all-important critical mass", but we still have gaps. So load anything you are aware of - and tell your friends about the site!

-Walter

Okay, some of you have been asking about how we handle events like fly-in's and such - I'm working on that feature right now. You can still load a fly-in through the Submit Destination dialog, but later this week you will be able to define dates or a recurring schedule for the event, and the search page will allow you to enter a date range for your search. Check the site on Friday for more details. Thanks for all the feedback (I've received several e-mails). Keep it coming, and feel free to post your questions on this thread so others get the benefit of the answer.

-Walter

Back