Never give up! Thank you Dr. Bruce

Joe Christian

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Christian
I’m 73, and have been flying since I was 18. On May 8, 2017 on a flight from Dallas to Norman, OK, I had to declare a medical emergency due to rapid heartbeat and chest pain. I had just passed Ardmore municipal. I turned around, contacted the tower, and declared a medical emergency. I also asked them to call an ambulance for me. Now the camel has a lot more than his nose under the tent!

On the ground, I was first seen by a fireman based at the airport. He only had a pulse oximeter and a stethoscope, and my pulse was 180 BPM and regular. While he was working with me, my heart converted to normal rhythm.

I spent the night in the hospital at Ardmore, and had no more problems. The ER doc said it sounded like SVT to him, but without an EKG he couldn’t be sure.

It took the FAA 2 days to send me a letter effectively grounding me; no argument from me!

I contacted Dr. Bruce Chien a couple of weeks after the Ardmore incident and got him into the loop with the FAA. He was a tremendous resource, guiding me as to what tests were needed and handling all communications with the FAA, and anyone that has a medical issue with the FAA should avail themselves of his services.

Since then I’ve had 2 Holter Monitor sessions, a 30 day event recorder session (confirmed SVT), an angiogram (no evidence of coronary artery disease), 2 cardiac ablations (the first one didn’t work, the second was successful), and 2 ECG’s. To further complicate matters, I was diagnosed in August with the slowly progressing version of CLL, for which no treatment is required at the present time. Boy, this getting old isn’t much fun!

I waited through the forced 90 day hold required by the FAA after a cardiac ablation, after which I had the required 24 hour Holter Monitor session, followed by a visit with the doctor that performed the successful ablation. He gave me a letter stating that he felt I was safe to resume flying. I also received a similar letter from my oncologist.

I flew commercial to Chicago on December 28, and Dr. Bruce performed a 3rd class exam, which I passed without any problems. He faxed the FAA with all of my supporting paperwork (probably100 pages), and said “Now we wait!”

I received a thick letter from the FAA on January 27. Included was my 3rd class medical certificate, along with the Special Issuance paperwork. Now on to Basic Med!

WAHOOO!

congrats! oh, and what does this mean, I never heard this before: "Now the camel has a lot more than his nose under the tent!" ?

From the Farlex free dictionary:

A small, seemingly innocuous act or decision that will lead to much larger, more serious, and less desirable consequences down the line. The term refers to an alleged Arab proverb that if a camel is allowed to get its nose inside of a tent, it will be impossible to prevent the rest of it from entering.

congrats! oh, and what does this mean, I never heard this before: "Now the camel has a lot more than his nose under the tent!" ?

It means that camel is hung like a horse. :

Or, that there’s more than just a little sniffing around because the OP got ATC involved in his medical condition so the FAA was certain to be notified.

Congrats on the new medical certificate. Now go fly! And come get me on your way by.

For those like me who were wondering:

Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is an abnormally fast heart rhythm arising from improper electrical activity in the upper part of the heart. There are four main types: atrial fibrillation, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), atrial flutter, and Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome.

Joe, great news. Doc Bruce, you're a good human.

Congrats!!

Btw, I’m known to go up to Norman for the AYCE breakfast at Ozzie’s. Perhaps we could link up and I buy you a celebratory cup of decaf and shake your hand in person.

There are times I'm convinced Dr Bruce's fax bill is far larger than what he charges for a class 3!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back