Netherlands pilot getting all kinds of praise online

I swore this was going to be a necropost when I saw who started the post.

What's going on Mr. H?

Everybody walked away and the plane could be used again. What's the problem? The media loves to scare the sheep.

Every pilot loves those kind of landings until they don't.

The adrenaline makes me a bit shaky for a few, but it certainly doesnt take 75 mph winds to have me hitting my head on the ceiling while on final approach

The main problem I see is I don't think it's a good idea to be giving lots of praise to what in my mind was at best a highly questionable decision to land in those conditions.

I don't see the issue here, there were some winds, and the plane landed. BFD. Landing looked fine.

The main problem I see is I don't think it's a good idea to be giving lots of praise to what in my mind was at best a highly questionable decision to land in those conditions.

I see your point about the praise part; don't want to be inspiring people to push landings.

Hi Chuck! Though this was a necro post also!

meh. Looks like he corrected it and landed just fine (defined here as "safely and with nothing broken"). If I went around every time I got a little squirrelly on final I'd never land.

Who are these people who spend their time videoing airliners landing? Seems like there are gazillions of these videos around - usually causing non-pilots to freak out about how airliners handle crosswind landings.

That landing was tame compared to an American 727 I was in back in the sixties. Three landings on one approach. I didn't know they could bounce that high.

meh. Looks like he corrected it and landed just fine (defined here as "safely and with nothing broken"). If I went around every time I got a little squirrelly on final I'd never land.
Exactly my thoughts. It looked like a good landing. Internet Idiots are at it again. :dunno:

Who are these people who spend their time videoing airliners landing?
They call themselves "spotters". They stick around airports and take pictures or record videos. Some take great pictures, some are there just to be a-holes and fight with airport security. :)

Standing out there in 50 MPH winds, it was probably miserable for the spotter, but it made for an interesting video that got lots of attention.

Other than that one wing dip(which he corrected nicely), I don't see anything wrong. At that point during the go-around you are gonna touch down anyways. Those engines take awhile to spool up. Plus a go-around in an airliner is a process in and of itself. The winds looked gusty, the steady state winds probably favored that runway, you don't know. Changing runways at a major metropolitan airport is a process. Maybe there wasn't an available straight in approach to a more favorable runway. Lot of factors to think about. Only person that honestly knows if he made the right decision were sitting in those two front seats.

Back