Netflix - A Flash of Genius

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Watched it last night and highly recommend it. My favorite movies are based on true stories and this one is one of the better ones. Greg Kinear plays Doctor Robert Kearns who invented the intermittent wiper motor only to have his idea stolen by the auto manufacturers.

I stopped liking "based on" movies when I found out A Beautiful Mind was total crap. In real life he left his wife after fathering a child with another woman. None of this stick together happy ending getting a Nobel Prize. Meh. Maybe I can give this one a go.

The Founder on Netflix about Ray Kroc (founder of McDonalds) wasn't sugar coated. Business is business...but in the end he didn't come across as a likable guy to me.
I think you forgot to put quotes around "founder" (you did watch the movie, didn't you? ;) )

I think you forgot to put quotes around "founder" (you did watch the movie, didn't you? ;) )

He "Found" McDonald's for sure (The place that made hamburgers). Then he turned it into McDonald's - The multi-national franchise operation that it is today. Current store owners usually do well, but the corporation does GREAT, and those folks do not wear uniforms.

American Made...the only thing that accuracy in that thing was that there was a coke trade in the 80's and Iran Contra.

only to have his idea stolen by the auto manufacturers
A very unfortunate story to be sure, but I believe the movie makers put some effort into making the movie "better" than real life.

Disclaimer: I know some of the individuals involved in the real life lawsuit.

Last edited:
The Founder is great (and he did recognize the genius of those who conceived the idea.) It is also obvious when to stop watching the movie, and I did.

I watched A Flash of Genius a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. The Founder was a very, very good movie!

I almost posted something yesterday about Einsatzgruppen, on Netflix. A WWII documentary on the Nazi death squads. I'm always interested in WWII history, knowing full well how dark it can be. But this is a little too dark even for me. I'm still watching it, but in short segments. One thing I have to say is that I think it's in terrible taste to show the pictures of the nude women. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it at all (if they were alive), so I think it's beyond disrespectful. I learned some things that I did not know. Such as the gas chambers were put into use because of the mental trauma it was causing the Nazis by using other methods of execution. I'd always read that they were used for efficiency.

If you haven't watched The History of the Eagles - man, you're missing out.

I'm really not finding much else on Netlfix to watch. So if you guys have any more recommendations, bring them on.

I started watching Flash of Genius right up until the time Ford backed out on the deal. I couldn’t watch any more. I work for a tier 1 automotive supplier and could see what was coming. It is a ruthless business. You can put in millions of dollars worth of equipment and with one phone call they cut volumes or resource with no notice.
Thanks for the recommendation - At some point I will watch the rest of the movie.

If you like Sc-Fi, Travelers on Netflix is a good show. Decent story and great writing.

Back