Nellis Aviation Nation 2022

Supereri

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Supereri
I'm thinking about flying up from Phoenix to Las Vegas for the airshow. I would likely leave out of Phoenix Friday evening and come back on Sunday afternoon. I know they will be a TFR to deal with. Any suggestions on which airport to fly into and out of? I can't file IFR since I'm not rated if that makes a difference.

nearest airport is kvgt and a non unreasonable Uber ride. VFR into it, 2 options; stay on FF from Phoenix and once Socal hands you to LV, they'll vector you all the way to KVGT, alternatively, come over the lake, call Nellis and ask for the 'El Cortez' arrival (but make sure you've studied the Vegas TAC chart first!). Either way, you'll make it in to KVGT..

Oh and.... Dont take the Uber to the Nellis gate, you won't be allowed in! Only way in this year is by bus from the motor speedway. (first bus 0800)

I'll "second" the recommendation for VGT. It's a nice airport, and Las Vegas works hard to make your arrival as easy as possible given they're layered with the Class-B.

Will I be able to get into and out of KVGT with the airshow TFR?

my belief based on the past is, yes. TFR has not yet been published. will update once I see something official.

Nellis 1997 air show. 75th Air Force anniversary. Definitely worth traveling cross the country to attend that one.

688F3CF4-EDF9-423A-BF60-0D4880426109.jpeg 8E3E10A5-3899-4F6D-A507-EA0F9C06FB1B.jpeg

Nellis 1997 air show. 75th Air Force anniversary. Definitely worth traveling cross the country to attend that one.

View attachment 111382 View attachment 111383

I saw one perform 3 flybys at the Point Mugu CA airshow back in the 80's. Was stunning to say the least.

I've really enjoyed the Nellis airshow every time I've gone. That being said I do miss the vapor at the Point Mugu airshow. Aviation photography is one of my other expensive hobbies.

Attachments

• f16_Nellis2.jpg
    f16_Nellis2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 9
  • f16_Nellis3.jpg
    f16_Nellis3.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 9
  • f18_elcentro.jpg
    f18_elcentro.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 9
  • f22_Nellis.jpg
    f22_Nellis.jpg