"Negative ATIS"

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
This happens to me all the time:

Me: N12345 at parking/ramp, request taxi to fuel pits, negative ATIS.
ATC: Information Kilo is current, wind is blabla, visbility is blabla, ceiling is blabla, altimeter is blabla, Airmets, Highwas, on and on and on and on and btw you're clear to taxi to fuel pits.

Really?

Negative ATIS in conjunction with a request for a minor repositioning on the ground should in my mind be understood as: "Listen, I just want to taxi over to the pump, nothing in the ATIS is pertinent as I'm not going flying yet, but when I start up next time with the aim of going flying, I will not only check the current ATIS, I will report which one I've got".

It's commendable that they're trying to be helpful, but it's such a waste of everyone's time. Is this some kind of FAA decree?

Last edited:
Habit, boredom, CYA. If you don't want to hear it listen to atis first, or long enough to get the letter or pick it up from another radio transmission. Then you don't trigger habit or CYA responses.

If you don't listen to the atis,how will you know if any taxi ways are closed? You might leave out the words negative atis if you are relocating.

I think it would still be a good thing to know. When I taxi, I always like to know the direction and speed of the wind.

Better safe than sorry. :)

If I am just seeking a taxi clearance, I don't mention ATIS at all. I think your mention of "negative ATIS" is indicating to ground that you would like to know. Just my thoughts.

I (and they) never say anything about the ATIS one way or the other when I'm repositioning here. Maybe controllers are just used to giving the ATIS information when they hear those words.

Listen to a current ATIS at KFCM these days with all the taxiway and runway closures, all of which impact even movements to the self-serve fuel on the field. Why not spend the 30 seconds to check the ATIS? Your engine won't mind the extra warm-up time.

I'll try to omit the negative ATIS line next time and see if they read me the book. The reason I mention it at all is because I want to preemptively nip in the bud the "confirm you have information K?" if it should pop up and save the controller and myself some time.

Last edited:
I've normally heard and used the phrase "negative ATIS" as meaning: I don't have the ATIS because I couldn't get it.

I've never heard it to mean that I don't think I need to hear the ATIS.

"Ohare Ground, United flight 861 at terminal 23A, taxi to the fuel station...."

......aaaah we don't need the ATIS.

If I'm taxing on the ramp I'll listen just to make sure nothing is NOTAMd out for my area. No point in calling ground though.

If I'm taxing across the airfield then getting ATIS essential and calling ground is required.

I've normally heard and used the phrase "negative ATIS" as meaning: I don't have the ATIS because I couldn't get it.

That was my impression as well.

You: "Podunk Ground, N12345 at parking / ramp, request taxi to Self Serve Pumps, Negative ATIS...and by Negative ATIS I mean I don't care, didn't listen to it, don't want to know."

ATC: "Ahhhh, ummmm, okay...taxi to Self Serve Pumps via Alpha."

You: "Podunk Ground, N12345 at parking / ramp, request taxi to Self Serve Pumps, Negative ATIS...and by Negative ATIS I mean I don't care, didn't listen to it, don't want to know."

ATC: "Ahhhh, ummmm, okay...taxi to Self Serve Pumps via Alpha."
"...but beware of the construction crews on taxiway...oh yeah, you don't care."

I've never actually heard anyone use "Negative ATIS" on the ground.

ATC: Information Kilo is current, wind is blabla, visbility is blabla, ceiling is blabla, altimeter is blabla, Airmets, Highwas, on and on and on and on and btw you're clear to taxi to fuel pits.

Really?

Negative ATIS in conjunction with a request for a minor repositioning on the ground should in my mind be understood as: "Listen, I just want to taxi over to the pump, nothing in the ATIS is pertinent as I'm not going flying yet, but when I start up next time with the aim of going flying, I will not only check the current ATIS, I will report which one I've got".

It's commendable that they're trying to be helpful, but it's such a waste of everyone's time. Is this some kind of FAA decree?

Saying "negative ATIS" when all you want to do is reposition an aircraft seems a waste time to me. Saying it could be interpreted as a request for the info.

Really?

Don't tell him you're negative ATIS and you won't get it read to you.

ive used it on the ground a few times when i was trying to get the ATIS but they were in the middle of making a new one

I would in that instance as well. I've used it a few times in the air.

That's the only time I've used it. Single COM and not dropping approach to get the info.

That said, I did most of my training in 152s with a single COM and switching to the 172 with duals was like a gift from God lol.

Would an ATC controller give a taxi routing using a NOTAM'd/closed taxiway?

No, but most likely it will be on the ATIS. As will any construction going on or near a taxiway.

I think it would still be a good thing to know. When I taxi, I always like to know the direction and speed of the wind.

Better safe than sorry. :)

You didn't note this by the breeze on your face before you hopped in the cockpit?

Besides, the winds as reported by the ATIS (out in the middle of a field with no obstructions around) might likely not be representative of the winds on the ramp as one taxis along next to a long row of hangars.

Last edited:

Really?

"Caution: Men and equipment working adjacent to taxiway Alpha. Taxiway Bravo closed. Six foot snow banks adjacent to Taxiway Charlie, use caution. Advise on initial contact, you have Sierra."

Would an ATC controller give a taxi routing using a NOTAM'd/closed taxiway?
There's some "heads-up" value even if you are only going to be passing nearby.

Besides, don't tell me you've never heard a plot who was not listening start wasting everybody's time arguing with ATC because he didn't like what they gave him? Most of those I've heard involved something that should have been known to the pilot but wasn't.

Of course, if listening to the radio for 10 seconds after start-up and before reaching a movement area is too much of a burden, I guess we'll just have to listen to the long form.

Since the ATIS includes NOTAMs on taxiway and ramp issues, it is relevant even if you're only taxiing, and you should still listen to it and tell the ground controller or s/he will have to make you go back and get it or else read it to you.

Since the ATIS includes NOTAMs on taxiway and ramp issues, it is relevant even if you're only taxiing, and you should still listen to it and tell the ground controller or s/he will have to make you go back and get it or else read it to you.

Agreed. If I have to call ground, I have the current ATIS.

Well, it turns out it was me. I just asked wrong. Omitting the negative ATIS, I got a cheerful: "N12345 taxi to fuel pumps via Alpha".

Back