Negative ANN article about Cirrus

And almost $52K in attorney fees! I wonder if there's enough equity in the plane to cover that, or if Cirrus will have to engage in an endless battle with Campbell to recover them.

I don't think equity would enter into it. The clients get their collateral back, and the attorney expenses are separate. If the judge grants the motion, Campbell will be expected to cut a check for the amount.

My guess is, that isn't going to happen. He'll probably file bankruptcy.

Coincidentally, the judge in Campbell's last bankruptcy case (the Airedale Press case, in the late '90s) died last month.

Ron Wanttaja

If I read this batch of motions right, their demand for attorneys fees is against KSA.
KSA has no assets beyond the plane, the only way they are going to get cash is by prevailing against him as a person via the guarantee he signed. At this point, the demand for attorneys fees against KSA seems to be more of a formality.

If I read this batch of motions right, their demand for attorneys fees is against KSA.
KSA has no assets beyond the plane, the only way they are going to get cash is by prevailing against him as a person via the guarantee he signed. At this point, the demand for attorneys fees against KSA seems to be more of a formality.

You're right, this is what I think has happened:

1. The judge gave Campbell and KSA 30 days to come up with a new attorney.

2. The day before the deadline, Campbell filed a motion for an extension.

3. Campbell can represent himself, so the extension motion for Campbell himself is valid.

4. Campbell CANNOT represent the company, so, technically, KSA did not respond to the Judge's order.

5. Cirrus is claiming that this failure to respond makes KSA liable to a default judgement, and has filed motions for transfer of the aircraft and for legal fees.

6. With the Judge yet to rule on Campbell's motion for an extension in the case against him, personally, Cirrus cannot make a similar claim against Campbell.

7. At Monday's hearing, the Judge will rule on Campbell's motion to extend. If he denies it, Cirrus will file identical motions against Campbell, personally, as they did to KSA. As KSA's only asset is the airplane, Campbell will be the (snort) "Deep Pocket" for the attorney fees.

What'll happen Monday? Well, when Campbell lost his attorney on his last Sun-N-Fun lawsuit, he also missed the deadline. In the subsequent court hearing, he called in, claiming to be outside the state. He asked for a continuance, and a one-week delay was granted. Campbell then failed to appear at the new court date, and the Judge dismissed his lawsuit against SnF.

Be interesting to see if history repeats itself.

Ron Wanttaja

Campbell and KSA have new representation.

Attachments

• Notice of appearance of attorney for defendants.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 40
Campbell and KSA have new representation.
Interesting. We'll have to see if he breaks his record on replacement attorneys (3, in his lawsuit against Coy Jacob of The Mod Works). I see this filing was just two days after Cirrus' filing for default judgement. Kinda lit a fire under him, perhaps.

Hopefully, we'll soon hear how long the judge will give the new counsel to respond.

Ron Wanttaja

What did he sue Coy Jacob for? I had missed that one in his legal history, and am curious from the Mooney standpoint. Coy has somewhat of a checkered reputation in the Mooney community, and I bet whatever happened with Zoom might have been colorful.

What did he sue Coy Jacob for? I had missed that one in his legal history, and am curious from the Mooney standpoint. Coy has somewhat of a checkered reputation in the Mooney community, and I bet whatever happened with Zoom might have been colorful.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the case. What I was told, ~15 years ago, was that Jacob and Brady performed an upgrade to Campbell's Mooney, and there was a difference of opinion as to whether the agreement was that advertising in US AVIATOR would compensate in part, or in full, for the cost of the modification.

I don't know why Campbell was the plaintiff in this case; if Jacob wasn't getting paid, seems like he would file the suit. Campbell's suit is called an "Injunction," rather than the usual "Damages." It might be that Jacob and Brady were holding the airplane for payment. Or, potentially, they were using collection agencies to dun Campbell for the money.

There are interesting parallels with the Cirrus case. It stemmed from supposed services-for-advertising deals, Campbell accused the other side of stealing his personal property (the removed radios, in this case), Campbell seemed to ignore key discovery requests, and, of course, he had trouble keeping his attorneys. The case eventually was dismissed due to lack of prosecution, when Campbell did not replace his third attorney.

Another thing interesting in this case is that Coy Jacobs filed for a protective order as part of the case (11/28/1994).

I've attached a copy of the full docket.

Ron Wanttaja

Attachments

• Coy Jacob & RB Brady Docket.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don't know why it "interesting." In fact it has always been Jim's advertising strategy to invent "contracts" for advertising (be it for services in kind or just flat out money) that never existed.

I don't know why it "interesting." In fact it has always been Jim's advertising strategy to invent "contracts" for advertising (be it for services in kind or just flat out money) that never existed.

It's interesting because he's been able to do it for decades, has been able to consistently string along the court system, and is interesting because he isn't in jail. The guy might be totally looney, but he's playing the courts like a finely tuned fiddle, and they don't seem to be catching wise.

I don't know why it "interesting."
As one of the few..if not only...person(s) on this board who Campbell has actually SUED for defamation (ok, "Conspiracy to defame"), I have a preference for phrasing that would not harm me should I get sued again. I do not declare certain Campbell actions as illegal, because I am not a lawyer. Nor do I claim he is crazy, since I am not a psychiatrist.

However, as a layman, I *can* find his actions "interesting," especially when comparing them to matters of public record, such as his previous legal actions or the testimony of two licensed physicians at his NTSB hearing. No, it wouldn't prevent me from being sued again. But it makes any defense a lot easier, and a countersuit a lot more effective.

It reminds me of an old joke. An old-time southern belle was with a bunch of women, gossiping about one of their number who wasn't there. Every time some piece of dirt was dished, the southern belle said, "My, my, my." After about six iterations of this, one woman asked her exactly what she meant by "My, my, my."

"It's simple, sugar," said the southern belle. "It means, 'That b*tch is bug-f*** crazy...."

Ron Wanttaja

I don't know why it "interesting."

Well, I always think of "protective orders" as being used in cases where a person is trying to stop unwanted contact, especially harassment.

Jim Campbell was a plaintiff in a lawsuit, and Coy Jacob was one of the defendants. Campbell shouldn't have had ANY contact with Jacob, save through his attorney. So why did Jacob feel a protection order was needed?

Or is there another potential reason for the order that I'm missing?

Interesting, no?

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
So why did Jacob feel a protection order was needed?

Or is there another potential reason for the order that I'm missing?

Maybe someone ordered a Code Red

If you ordered that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why was Santiago in danger?
Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?

Interesting, yes!

"It's simple, sugar," said the southern belle. "It means, 'That b*tch is bug-f*** crazy...."

My favorite is the line "Bless her heart" if speaking to a third party or "Bless your heart" when talking to someone directly. It means the last statement made is outrageous or just plain wrong, but we're too polite to say anything about it.

[No, not sued, but he did call the president of my company and rant about death threats I was alleged to have made and demanded our lawyer's contact information, yada yada yada...]

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the case. What I was told, ~15 years ago, was that Jacob and Brady performed an upgrade to Campbell's Mooney, and there was a difference of opinion as to whether the agreement was that advertising in US AVIATOR would compensate in part, or in full, for the cost of the modification.

I don't know why Campbell was the plaintiff in this case; if Jacob wasn't getting paid, seems like he would file the suit. Campbell's suit is called an "Injunction," rather than the usual "Damages." It might be that Jacob and Brady were holding the airplane for payment. Or, potentially, they were using collection agencies to dun Campbell for the money.

There are interesting parallels with the Cirrus case. It stemmed from supposed services-for-advertising deals, Campbell accused the other side of stealing his personal property (the removed radios, in this case), Campbell seemed to ignore key discovery requests, and, of course, he had trouble keeping his attorneys. The case eventually was dismissed due to lack of prosecution, when Campbell did not replace his third attorney.

Another thing interesting in this case is that Coy Jacobs filed for a protective order as part of the case (11/28/1994).

I've attached a copy of the full docket.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for that background. Looks like 3 years of harassment by Zoom, and untold expenses against Jacobs and the other defendant. It shameful that we don't have a "loser pays" system to discourage this kind of behavior.

Docket Update:

05/22/2012 Order (Generic) granting motion to compel def to respond to discovery requests

:frown2:

Docket Update:

05/22/2012 Order (Generic) granting motion to compel def to respond to discovery requests

:frown2:

Could this just be the motion forcing him to give up the location of the aircraft ?

Could this just be the motion forcing him to give up the location of the aircraft ?
No, I think it refers to the "Amended Request for Production and Things" filed back in December. One of the items requested *is* the aircraft.

No doubt there's a legal basis for his new attorney to deny that particular request. Harder to fight is the request for Campbell's copies of "any documents and things evidencing agreements between Plaintiff and one or more Defendants." This would include the purchase agreement. Campbell claims Cirrus' copy is a fraudulent; if that's the case, HIS copy of the agreement should be different.

So far, though, he's resisted providing it.

Ron Wanttaja

I wish we could have seen the interrogatories...

It's interesting because he's been able to do it for decades, has been able to consistently string along the court system, and is interesting because he isn't in jail. The guy might be totally looney, but he's playing the courts like a finely tuned fiddle, and they don't seem to be catching wise.

I'm not so sure as to them not catching wise, it could very well be a situation where you know it's coming but you'd have to change the entire system to prevent it.

Attached.
Well, that's interes.... ummm, "Of note." :)

Gave Campbell's new attorney only ten days to respond...with a three-day weekend in the middle. That's what Cirrus had requested, but I'm a bit surprised the judge didn't give the new lawyer a more time. Cirrus' motion was also aimed at Campbell alone (not KSA) and that's the way the court order reads.

The question is, of course, will anything be submitted by the 1st of June? As we've seen, Campbell ignores deadlines like this. He only HAS to respond once the plaintiff has filed for a default judgement, and a court date is imminent to rule on the motion.

However, I'm wondering if the new attorney will push to issue the responses. Campbell can freely tick off the judge, but the attorney will probably be less willing to do so. Plus, one would speculate that they're still in the "honeymoon" phase, and Campbell may be more willing to support the discovery process.

We'll see next week....

Ron Wanttaja

Ten days is probably standard on a motion to compel on a discovery request that has been out for what a year? and not even protested just ignored. I suspect if the lawyers asked for time, they might get it, however.

In case anyone is as bored at work as I am, this (I think) is the entire Cirrus v Kindred docket (2011-CA-001186), as posted to POA

pdf.gif
Cirrus Repo Filing.pdf
pdf.gif
cirrus_v_kindred.pdf
pdf.gif
Cirrus Exhibit A.pdf
pdf.gif
Cirrus Exhibit B.pdf
pdf.gif
Cirrus Exhibit C.pdf
pdf.gif
Cirrus Exhibit D.pdf
pdf.gif
KSA Motion to Dismiss.pdf
pdf.gif
Answer.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for Admissions.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for Admissions - Cirrus to KSA.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for Admissions - Cirrus to Campbell.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for ProductionTo Produce - Cirrus to KSA.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for ProductionTo Produce - Cirrus to Campbell.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion for Extension of Time.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion Generic.pdf
pdf.gif
Order Generic.pdf
pdf.gif
motion granting order to dismiss .pdf
pdf.gif
Klapmeier_7786008.pdf
pdf.gif
2012-01-30 Answer-Affirmative Defenses.pdf
pdf.gif
Campbell's Answers to Amended Questions.pdf
pdf.gif
Kindred Spirit's Answers to Amended Questions.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion to Appear Telephonically.pdf
pdf.gif
Generic Order Plaintiff Telephonic Approved, Feb 6 2012.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion to Appear Telephonically, Feb 6 2012.pdf
pdf.gif
Cirrus Objection.pdf
pdf.gif
Order on Motion to Withdraw.pdf
pdf.gif
Campbell's Motion for Extension of Time - 19 March 2012.pdf
pdf.gif
N__Plaintiff's response to motion for extension of time.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion to Strike.pdf
pdf.gif
N__Motion to compel defendent.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion for default judgement from Cirrus.pdf
pdf.gif
Exhibit A - Promissory note.pdf
pdf.gif
Affidavit of Costs.pdf
pdf.gif
Affidavit of Attorney's Fees.pdf
pdf.gif
Affidavit in Support of Plaintiff's Motion.pdf
pdf.gif
Notice of appearance of attorney for defendants.pdf
pdf.gif
N__Motion Granted, Compelling Defendant to Respond to Discovery.pdf

******* Following added on 6/4 *********

pdf.gif
Amended Order.pdf
pdf.gif
Notice of Serving Interrogatories (Amended) Answers by Defendant James R. Campbell.pdf
pdf.gif
Notice of Serving Interrogatories (Amended) Answers by Defendant Kindred Spirit Aviation.pdf
pdf.gif
Response to Request to Produce.pdf

******* Added 6/13/12 **********

pdf.gif
Notice of July 10th deposition of Alan K.pdf

******* Added 6/21/12 **********

pdf.gif
Notice of Videotaped Deposition.pdf

******* Added 6/28/12

pdf.gif
Amended discovery re videotaping.pdf

******* Added 8/30/12

pdf.gif
Designation of Primary Email Address.pdf

******** Added 11/01/12

pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Notice of Serving Interrogatories - KSA.pdf
pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Second Request for Production - KSA.pdf
pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Second Request for Production - Campbell.pdf
pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Notice of Taking Deposition - KSA.pdf
pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Notice of Taking Deposition - Campbell.pdf
pdf.gif
Oct 2012 - Notice of Serving Interrogatories - Campbell.pdf

******** Added 11/29/12

pdf.gif
Objection by James R. Campbell to Plaintiff's Second Set of Interrogatories.pdf
pdf.gif
Objection by Kindred Spirit Aviation, LLC to Plaintiff's Second Set of Interrogatories.pdf
pdf.gif
Response (Generic) by James R. Campbell to Plaintiff's Second Request for Production.pdf
pdf.gif
Response (Generic) by Kindred Spirit Aviation, LLC to Plaintiff's Second Request for Production .pdf

******** Added 12/06/12

pdf.gif
Motion to Withdraw Dec 2012.PDF

******** Added 1/21/13

pdf.gif
order on motion to withdraw 15 Jan 2013.pdf

******** Added 2/11/13

pdf.gif
withdrawal of interrogatories - Campbell - Jan 2013.pdf
pdf.gif
withdrawal of interrogatories - Kindred- Jan 2013.pdf

pdf.gif
Notice of Taking Deposition of James Campbell January 2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Notice of Appearance Jan 2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Request for Protective Order.pdf

pdf.gif
Notice to Set for Trial.pdf

******** Added 2/15/13

pdf.gif
Response to Order for Protective Motion.pdf
pdf.gif
Exhibits A-H Filed into Evidence.pdf
pdf.gif
Exhibits I-K Filed into Evidence.pdf

******* Added 3/18

pdf.gif
WitnessExpert Witness List.pdf

******* Added 3/25

pdf.gif
Motion For Deposition Expenses - 3-20-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Second Motion for Restraining Order - 3-25-2013.pdf

******* Added 4/6/13

pdf.gif
Response to Defendant's second motion for protective order 3-28-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Plaintiff's Objection and motion for protective order 3-28-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Plaintiff Exhibits for response to second motion for Protective order 3-28.2013.pdf

pdf.gif
Plaintiff Motion to compel discover 4-3-2013.pdf

******* Added 4/11/13

pdf.gif
Defendant's Notice of Settlement 4-8-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Plaintiff's Response to Notice of Settlement 4-8-2013.pdf

******* ADDED 4/25/13

pdf.gif
Plaintiff's supplemental response - Defense motion for enforcement of settlement 4-17-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Plaintiff Motion compelling Defense Settlement.pdf

pdf.gif
Exhibits Filed into Evidence - Plaintiff's supplemental response 4-17-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Defendant's notice for remand 4-23-2013.pdf

******* Added 5/1/13

pdf.gif
file listing 4-24-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Motion for Sanctions 4-24-2013-2.pdf
pdf.gif
Order 4-26-2013.pdf

******* Added 5/19/13
pdf.gif
Amended Motion to disqualify trial judge 5-7-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Plaintiffs response to motion to disqualify judge 5-6-2013.pdf
pdf.gif
Transcript 25 April 2013.pdf

pdf.gif
Order on Motion to Disqualify Judge 8 May 2013.pdf

Last edited:
Well, that's interes.... ummm, "Of note." :)

Gave Campbell's new attorney only ten days to respond...with a three-day weekend in the middle. That's what Cirrus had requested, but I'm a bit surprised the judge didn't give the new lawyer a more time. Cirrus' motion was also aimed at Campbell alone (not KSA) and that's the way the court order reads.

I would have given him the minimum I could if I was the judge, let Campbell pay the lawyer and staff the overtime.

I would have given him the minimum I could if I was the judge, let Campbell pay the lawyer and staff the overtime.
May not have been much, actually. We don't know when the lawyer actually took the case; we only know when he notified the court that he was representing Campbell.

Cirrus filed the motion for a default judgement April 11th, and a 21 May court hearing on the subject was announced on the 17th of April. I'd expect Campbell would have started looking for a lawyer in earnest at that time. Assuming he had the cash, he probably had no trouble getting Mr. Lindell on retainer by the end of April...three weeks prior to the hearing date. That gives him a full month to work on the Discovery.

There was probably no rush in filing the notice that he was now representing Campbell and KSA. He might have contacted Cirrus' lawyers as a courtesy to inform them. Or he might not have, out of some perceived tactical advantage.

Keep in mind that the 1 June deadline can be satisfied with either the information required by discovery, or the *pretext* as to why the information isn't being supplied at that time. I'm sure there are standard dodges that lawyers use to avoid providing data when it is damaging to their cases. "Excessively broad," "Overly onerous," etc. Could even claim that the major portion is the responsibility of KSA, and KSA was *not* included on the judge's order.

The key data, as ever, is the #1 item in Cirrus' Request for Production: "Any and all documents and things evidencing agreements between plaintiff and defendant." Cirrus submitted their copy of the purchase agreement in their original filing...and re-submitted it last month.

Campbell claims that it's fraudulent. If he's going to stick with that, his best approach would be to produce a different version of the document. Then either sides' experts can weigh in. The obvious question to answer, of course, is why it wasn't submitted when first requested almost six months ago.

Alternately, Campbell could claim that Cirrus' purchase order is fraudulent because the agreement was strictly *verbal*. Remember that Campbell attempted to serve a subpoena against Alan Klapmeier demanding "True and correct information in the form of sworn testimony concerning the agreement...." Campbell may well intend to claim that an alleged verbal deal with Klapmeier constituted the sole agreement, and that there was no written contract.

It seems that this would be a difficult approach. Even if there WAS some sort of agreement, it hardly seems likely that Cirrus would have agreed to advertise in perpetuity with no ability to terminate the agreement (the marketing proposal Campbell submitted earlier required both sides' agreement to cancel). Cirrus claims the agreement concerns an airplane worth a third of a million dollars, Campbell has claimed on ANN that Cirrus owed him three-quarters of a million. Seems unlikely that a company like Cirrus would commit to such a liability without a written agreement.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
It seems that this would be a difficult approach. Even if there WAS some sort of agreement, it hardly seems likely that Cirrus would have agreed to advertise in perpetuity with no ability to terminate the agreement (the marketing proposal Campbell submitted earlier required both sides' agreement to cancel). Cirrus claims the agreement concerns an airplane worth a third of a million dollars, Campbell has claimed on ANN that Cirrus owed him three-quarters of a million. Seems unlikely that a company like Cirrus would commit to such a liability without a written agreement.

Ron Wanttaja

Kids riding the short bus to school wouldn't sign that...

... Even if there WAS some sort of agreement, it hardly seems likely that Cirrus would have agreed to advertise in perpetuity with no ability to terminate the agreement (the marketing proposal Campbell submitted earlier required both sides' agreement to cancel).
I looked again at the agreement Campbell claims to have with Cirrus, and it says the advertising-to-offset-note-payments deal remains in effect "until paid in full or mutual termination of agreement." So it isn't in perpetuity, just until the note is paid off.

How did you "look at something" that doesn't appear to exist.

There might have been such an agreement. The previous owner seems to be ANN and then transfered to KSA when this note was executed. I suspect this note came into effect after any advertising agreement was ended.

How did you "look at something" that doesn't appear to exist.
I'm referring to the "agreement" Campbell attached to the KSA Motion to Dismiss. It's the first bullet under ANN TN22 "Flagship" on the next to last page.

Attachments

• KSA Motion to Dismiss[3].pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Amusing that it seems to date from about the same time (two weeks earlier if you buy the "this week" 12/15/2008) than the note under contention. It would appear that ANN had the plane prior to the referenced note.

My guess is that Cirrus had let him have the plane prior to this and didn't accept the new deal and told him if he wanted the plane he'd have to buy it and even made him the note.

It's amusing that if Cirrus reneged on all the stuff in that memo that he didn't sue them proactively. There was much more than just the "flagship" loan payments that he thinks was due him.

Last edited:
It's amusing that if Cirrus reneged on all the stuff in that memo that he didn't sue them proactively.

This, indeed, is an interesting point. Campbell may claim that verbal contracts are a common business practice of ANN, and could probably get a couple of advertisers to confirm that they don't have written contracts and are satisfied with the arrangement.

But then, there are at least a half-dozen companies that have disagreed regarding the existence of these verbal contracts. Campbell sued *them*, over disputed amounts as low as $6,500. Why didn't he sue Cirrus for an amount supposedly more than a hundred times higher?

Ron Wanttaja

Hopefully, we'll have some fresh filings to look over next week.

Or, not. Just saw a new item posted to the docket: "Agreed amended order ruling upon planitiffs motion to compel def Campbell to respond to discovery requests and def motion for extension of time to respond to plaintiffs discovery requests".

(My apologies...I accidentally edited my last posting to the content above, rather than posting a follow-up. I've deleted the edited posting)

Ron Wanttaja

Amusing that it seems to date from about the same time (two weeks earlier if you buy the "this week" 12/15/2008) than the note under contention. It would appear that ANN had the plane prior to the referenced note.

I don't believe Zoom took actual delivery of 377SR until after April 2009, but he did fly a "loaner" SR22 (another demo bird) to the Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring that January. I would imagine whatever contract there was had been finalized by then.

Or, not. Just saw a new item posted to the docket: "Agreed amended order ruling upon planitiffs motion to compel def Campbell to respond to discovery requests and def motion for extension of time to respond to plaintiffs discovery requests".

(My apologies...I accidentally edited my last posting to the content above, rather than posting a follow-up. I've deleted the edited posting)

Ron Wanttaja

Yup, judge denied Cirrus' prayer for attorney's fees at this time... and gave Defendant TWO DAYS (til end of business on June 1st) to reply to plaintiff's amended interrogatories and amended requests for production.

Attachments

• Amended Order.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 23
Yup, judge denied Cirrus' prayer for attorney's fees at this time... and gave Defendant TWO DAYS (til end of business on June 1st) to reply to plaintiff's amended interrogatories and amended requests for production.

Rog. That's the same drop dead date as on the previous order; all the amended order does is put off the question of attorney's fees.

Rog. That's the same drop dead date as on the previous order; all the amended order does is put off the question of attorney's fees.
I'm surprised ANN hasn't announced it as a great victory.

Interesting that this order says that the "Defendants shall serve responses to plaintiff's amended interrogatories and amended requests for production...." Previous compelling order listed only Campbell, and only the Campbell interrogatories, etc. were required to be submitted by COB 1 June.

Ron Wanttaja

Back