Need v. want a Stratus 2S

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hello again. I posted a question about whether or not to buy a Stratus, and if so, which one as I do not currently own one. The responses were overwhelmingly in favor of the 2S. OK, I get that because its dual band and has an AHRS system, etc. But I'm now perplexed by my own self in wondering if I "need" the 2S or just "want" it because it's the newest gadget out there. Well, I don't fly long x/c's, mainly fly during the week, fly for pleasure not business and fly within a radius of 100nm of ORD. The airplane I rent :hairraise:and not own has TIS and XM Weather on board. So, without ever having flown w/ a Stratus, wouldn't I be duplicating efforts by buying the 2S? I can't seem to put my finger on the benefits. I've even talked w/ Sportys about it and they didn't really give me a good answer. So, I'm falling on my sword and asking about the Stratus once again. My brain is missing something here, and it would be kind of you to help me. Thanks much.

Last edited:
Hello again. I posted a question about whether or not to buy a Stratus, and if so, which one. The responses were overwhelmingly in favor of the 2S. OK, I get that because its dual band and has an AHRS system, etc. But I'm now perplexed by my own self in wondering if I "need" the 2S or just "want" it because it's the newest gadget out there. Well, I don't fly long x/c's, mainly fly during the week, fly for pleasure not business and fly within a radius of 100nm of ORD. The airplane I rent :hairraise:and not own has TIS and XM Weather on board. So, without ever having flown w/ a Stratus, wouldn't I be duplicating efforts by buying the 2S? I can't seem to put my finger on the benefits. I've even talked w/ Sporty's about it and they didn't really give me a good answer. So, I'm falling on my sword and asking about the Stratus once again. My brain is missing something here, and it would be kind of you to help me. Thanks much.

Neither we nor Sporty's can answer that question (Do I need it or just want it?), only you can. They and we can tell you about the relative differences and the pros and cons of each feature, but only you can decide what makes sense for you.

I can't know if you intend to fly other airplanes in the future. Sounds like you're kinda thinking out loud. Do what seems right to you.

:thumbsup:

If your going to keep renting the same plane,you probably don't need to buy a stratus. If you want flexibility in renting ,or maybe owning,then you probably will want a stratus 2.

If you generally fly a plane with XM weather and TIS, I don't see a big benefit for the Stratus. I have a Stratus 2 and really like it, however.

You don't need it. If you were flying IFR a lot, I could justify as a backup attitude indicator. But for VFR $100 hamburger runs, it's not needed.

But I'll never give mine up!

For what it's worth... I wondered whether getting one would be money well spent as well. I "cheated" and split the difference and bought a used Stratus 2. Why? Because it has most everything the 2S has (that I would potentially need it for), and it split the difference on cost. People are selling their Stratus 2 between $700 and 750 shipped... so that put it in the "splurge" zone for me.

For what it's worth... I wondered whether getting one would be money well spent as well. I "cheated" and split the difference and bought a used Stratus 2. Why? Because it has most everything the 2S has (that I would potentially need it for), and it split the difference on cost. People are selling their Stratus 2 between $700 and 750 shipped... so that put it in the "splurge" zone for me.

Yep one posted over on a piper forum yesterday for $750 shipped.

I have a 182 with XM weather and TIS, and just bought a stratus 2S. For me, it's a backup for both weather, traffic, and an AI. I fly up to 1,000nm trips under IFR, often battling weather so nexrad in the cockpit is pretty important. For $100 hamburger runs, I probably wouldn't bother.

Thanks to all for your replies. I decided that I "wanted" AND "needed" one -- AHRS, wx and traffic -- as the planes I rent don't all have TIS and XM wx. Even for a $100 hamburger run, I still think the safety features that accompany the Stratus 2S are worth the cost. I'm a SE ATP candidate so my flying missions vary from short training hops to longer distances / the 2S will do me well. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for your replies. I decided that I "wanted" AND "needed" one -- AHRS, wx and traffic -- as the planes I rent don't all have TIS and XM wx. Even for a $100 hamburger run, I still think the safety features that accompany the Stratus 2S are worth the cost. I'm a SE ATP candidate so my flying missions vary from short training hops to longer distances / the 2S will do me well. Thanks again.

The Stratus 2 or 2s will handle AHRS and weather just fine. Traffic on either without also having ADS-B Out installed in the aircraft is very spotty and you will likely see only about 5% of the traffic that represents a collision hazard.

The Stratus 2 or 2s will handle AHRS and weather just fine. Traffic on either without also having ADS-B Out installed in the aircraft is very spotty and you will likely see only about 5% of the traffic that represents a collision hazard.

What???:yikes:

That's not what I perceived from talking to the people at both Sporty's and Appareo. That's not nice of them.:no:

What???:yikes:

That's not what I perceived from talking to the people at both Sporty's and Appareo. That's not nice of them.:no:

My comment on traffic applies to all portables when the host aircraft does not have ADS-B Out.

I visited their booth and listened in while discussing the differences between the 2 and the 2S with customers. In my opinion they were down playing the improvements as evolutionary and not revolutionary. I would not recommend a current owner of a 2 to upgrade to a 2S. It seams that the 2 is now selling for $150 to $200 less than a 2S, which is a bargain in my opinion. The 2S adds improvements mostly in the internal workings of the unit along with the addition of a pressure sensor. Since the iPhone 6 and the Air 2 already have one, it may be a moot point for some.

Moving from a 1 to a 1S is a big improvement as it is much less susceptible to heat and includes the weather replay feature when the iPad wakes up. I would always prefer the 2 or 2S over the 1S because of the dual frequency receiver capability and the AHRS.

For a comparison, see https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=differences+of+stratus+1S+to+2S

My comment on traffic applies to all portables when the host aircraft does not have ADS-B Out.

I visited their booth and listened in while discussing the differences between the 2 and the 2S with customers. In my opinion they were down playing the improvements as evolutionary and not revolutionary. I would not recommend a current owner of a 2 to upgrade to a 2S. It seams that the 2 is now selling for $150 to $200 less than a 2S, which is a bargain in my opinion. The 2S adds improvements mostly in the internal workings of the unit along with the addition of a pressure sensor. Since the iPhone 6 and the Air 2 already have one, it may be a moot point for some.

Moving from a 1 to a 1S is a big improvement as it is much less susceptible to heat and includes the weather replay feature when the iPad wakes up. I would always prefer the 2 or 2S over the 1S because of the dual frequency receiver capability and the AHRS.

For a comparison, see https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=differences+of+stratus+1S+to+2S

I wonder what is the purpose of the pressure sensor. It was added for some reason but with GPS altitude already , why?

I wonder what is the purpose of the pressure sensor. It was added for some reason but with GPS altitude already , why?

The pressure sensor provides pressure altitude (an altitude referenced to 29.92) as measured in the cabin. ForeFlight can display the pressure altitude and can use the pressure altitude to provide a cabin altitude warning when the cabin altitude passes 12000 feet and 25000 feet. The iPhone 6 and 6+ and the iPad Air 2 also have a pressure sensor. All ADS-B and TISB targets provide pressure altitude from the aircraft altitude encoder and the difference between the target's pressure altitude and the ownship pressure altitude could be used to indicate the relative altitude difference that is displayed. GPS altitude, although a better indication of true altitude, can vary substantially from pressure altitude and in some temperature and altimeter setting conditions, this can exceed a thousand feet. Pressure altitude, corrected for local barometric pressure, can be used to provide a barometric MSL indication. So it is at least theoretically possible to provide a simulated altimeter that should match the ship's altimeter indication, within a few hundred feet. Since the pressure sensor on the Stratus is venting to the cabin, it should match the ship's altimeter indication very closely if alternate air is used because then both altimeters would be referenced to the cabin altitude as their static source. Usually the cabin (alternate air) indication is 100 to 200 feet above the one when the ship's static source is used because the cabin is usually at a slightly lower pressure than the static pressure when the aircraft is in flight.

I spoke to Appareo at their booth. I have a Stratus 2. They said the differences between the 2 and 2S are negligible.

I've pondered for quite a while on a Stratus purchase, anyway I took the plunge and my shiny new 2S arrived today, impressed with the carry case but we'll see how the actual box of tricks works and integrates with my foreflight when I go fly on Saturday,

Any tips from users would be appreciated

I've pondered for quite a while on a Stratus purchase, anyway I took the plunge and my shiny new 2S arrived today, impressed with the carry case but we'll see how the actual box of tricks works and integrates with my foreflight when I go fly on Saturday,

Any tips from users would be appreciated

I returned my Stratus 1S (bought it mainly for wx and gps). Main reason: my mis-perception that METARs, TAFs, etc. were "always" updated to the moment one viewed them on FF, when in reality, they are merely the "latest published" wx products. So, a METAR could be 29 minutes old and it would appear as such on FF, whereas I (dumbly) thought that it would be "0" minutes old, much like an ASOS broadcast. You still have to listen to ATIS to get the right code and to find out things like landing and departing runways, approaches in use, etc. So for me, even $549 wasn't worth it.:no:
PS: the case IS impressive!!

I have an original stratus 1(the black one) and it's nice for getting inflight weather but I see little traffic on it, I rely on flight following and eyesight for that.

Just bought a Stratus 1 off ebay. Plan on trying it out Saturday. The wx is the big thing for me, mostly the stuff I can't see over the horizon. I can see traffic with my baby blues.

I returned my Stratus 1S (bought it mainly for wx and gps). Main reason: my mis-perception that METARs, TAFs, etc. were "always" updated to the moment one viewed them on FF, when in reality, they are merely the "latest published" wx products. So, a METAR could be 29 minutes old and it would appear as such on FF, whereas I (dumbly) thought that it would be "0" minutes old, much like an ASOS broadcast. You still have to listen to ATIS to get the right code and to find out things like landing and departing runways, approaches in use, etc. So for me, even $549 wasn't worth it.:no:
PS: the case IS impressive!!

What else other than "latest published" would you expect to get??

I'm debating whether I should sell my 2. Just got Sportys gift cards for my birthday.....may want a 2S.

I'm thinking about adding 'something' to extend ADSB WX and Traffic to my iPad. I already have ADSB out via Navworx that displays WX and Traffic on my GRT EFIS screens.

My options include the <$200 Rasberry Pi solution I'll call Stratux, or one of the Stratus units. I've been ignoring Stratus since I committed to the Navworx unit but display on my iPad is a very 'nice to have'.

One thing I might find attractive is the backup AI (and AHRS I guess) function on the iPad.

Any advice welcome relative to Stratus models, functionality, or Stratus/Stratux comparisons welcome.

(ADSB Wx and Traffic is great... My Baby Browns still play a key part but they are not as effective as the ADSB stuff. If $$$ allow, get off the fence)

I'm debating whether I should sell my 2. Just got Sportys gift cards for my birthday.....may want a 2S.

I was going to sell my 2 and go to 2S - but I can't really see much benefit... Probably wont lose too much on the 2... but who knows.

My options include the <$200 Rasberry Pi solution I'll call Stratux, or one of the Stratus units. I've been ignoring Stratus since I committed to the Navworx unit but display on my iPad is a very 'nice to have'.

Just started reading about Stratux thanks to you. Very interesting stuff! https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux for those who haven't seen it yet.

Just started reading about Stratux thanks to you. Very interesting stuff! https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux for those who haven't seen it yet.
It definitely works. My only concern at this point as expressed elsewhere is whether Foreflight will decide to sabotage the connection due to there commitment to Stratus. Won't be the first time and there's simply no way to know in advance.

It definitely works. My only concern at this point as expressed elsewhere is whether Foreflight will decide to sabotage the connection due to there commitment to Stratus. Won't be the first time and there's simply no way to know in advance.

One of the head guys at ForeFlight responded to some of the initial Reddit posts, so they're aware of the project. They could easily close down the connection in the name of security/safety, but it would take a firmware update to all existing Stratus units in the field to enable that.

I toyed around with generating FF traffic from my PC with some basic PHP serving up UDP info. It's all fairly basic, and I hope FF keeps it that way in the name of open compatibility.

Them switch to something other than Foreflight! ;-)

One of the head guys at ForeFlight responded to some of the initial Reddit posts, so they're aware of the project. They could easily close down the connection in the name of security/safety, but it would take a firmware update to all existing Stratus units in the field to enable that.

Stratux is so cheap, I don't think it's worth worrying about this possibility. Having said that, though, I'd guess a software update to Foreflight could shut Stratux down. Doesn't FF's list of devices actually spell out FreeFlight, if you're using a Stratux box? What's to keep FF from blocking any device with that name?

Last edited:
Having bought a Stratus 2S this week today was my first chance to fly with it.
First impressions....

Weather was great to have in front of me to see on FF

Pretty cool how FF automatically opens the airport diagram plate on landing, I can see this as a handy feature when going to an unfamiliar field

Traffic ? ....well the jury is still out on that one, I didn't get one single pop up on the moving map, but having researched it before buying it I wasn't really expecting to see much anyway so I'm not too disappointed on that score, I didn't actually see or hear any traffic anyway so maybe it was exepcionally quiet in my area today.

AHRS feature...yes checked it out and it is a good back up to have

So all in all I'm happy with my purchase and it will be a useful tool to have on board

Having bought a Stratus 2S this week today was my first chance to fly with it.
First impressions....

Weather was great to have in front of me to see on FF

Pretty cool how FF automatically opens the airport diagram plate on landing, I can see this as a handy feature when going to an unfamiliar field

Traffic ? ....well the jury is still out on that one, I didn't get one single pop up on the moving map, but having researched it before buying it I wasn't really expecting to see much anyway so I'm not too disappointed on that score, I didn't actually see or hear any traffic anyway so maybe it was exepcionally quiet in my area today.

AHRS feature...yes checked it out and it is a good back up to have

So all in all I'm happy with my purchase and it will be a useful tool to have on board

You may already be aware of this, but for other's who aren't: If you don't have ADS-B out, don't expect to see much of any traffic on you ADSB-in system unless you're in the vicinity of ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

Last edited:
Yes Brad I'm aware of the ADSB-out requirement to make it anywhere near viable for traffic, having researched it before buying I knew I wasn't buying accurate traffic warning , for me it's about seeing the weather and the other features to make a trip a little easier

But you are right to mention it, I suspect many people will buy the Stratus believing it's the answer to seeing traffic without expensive in-panel avionics

Back