Need some destination advice/ideas

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
Weather permitting, I will be doing a 3-4 day trip from Baltimore area South right around Christmas.
The purpose is to visit a couple of specific places and make stops in number of states. This for a contest.

The 2 places that I am definitely landing are KCRE(Myrtle Beach, SC) and 09J(Jekkyl Island, GA).
Not planning on doing anything in Myrtle, but i do want to explore Jekkyl. Not staying there overnight, however.

I also would like to make stops in FL, TN, KY, and WV.
Currently the thoughts - mostly chosen to minimize the distance and can be changed - on stops are:
KFHB(Amelia City, FL), probably stay overnight here.
near Johnson City, TN, (0A9?) probably stay overnight here
and somewhere along the way back in KY and WV. Maybe stay in one of these overnight

I'm traveling solo and will have a bike with me, so short transport is no problem. I'm trying to keep the cost low.

Looking for any pireps for these destinations and/or better ideas. Things to see/do, preferred airports to land, etc.

With the exception of Myrtle(city, not the airport), i have never visited any of these destinations.

Since you will be overflying NC, might has well drop into Kitty Hawk. Also the airport on Hilton Head is very close to a beach.

Since you will be overflying NC, might has well drop into Kitty Hawk. Also the airport on Hilton Head is very close to a beach.

Is there anything to do at Kitty Hawk in December? I wasn't really making any plans to stop in NC except maybe for fuel.

Jekyll Island is quite flat, and not large, so if you have bike you can get around fine. Withing walking distance is plenty to do as well. There is a Sea Turtle Center. You can tour the historic district. The Jekyll Island Museum is in that area as well.

KSSI ,is a good stop with reasonable self serve gas,you can walk to the hotel from the FBO. Take the trolley tour from the waterfront. Plenty of restaurants on the island.

If you stop by SYM(good fuel price), DWU(good fuel price), HTS(class D) or PMH(a nice restaurant and fuel price), I can pick you up if needed. Not much going on this time of year. Greenbrier in Lewisburg, WV is a nice place for biking if it is not covered in snow.

Last edited:
While you're in East Tennessee, stop by KCHA. Tie down at Wilson Air and head downtown. Lots of good local eateries and things to see.

While you're in East Tennessee, stop by KCHA. Tie down at Wilson Air and head downtown. Lots of good local eateries and things to see.
Haven't been to KCHA, but Chatanooga's aquarium is way cool - best I've been to. The riverfront as I recall is happening.
Have to get back there myself sometime soon.

Jekyll is one of our favorite destinations. Made two trips their in the last year (Nov and Aug). You'll be happy to know it's very bike friendly. I think their are more bike trails than roads.

Jekyll is one of our favorite destinations. Made two trips their in the last year (Nov and Aug). You'll be happy to know it's very bike friendly. I think their are more bike trails than roads.

That's what I've heard. Anything you liked in particular about it in Nov?

That's what I've heard. Anything you liked in particular about it in Nov?

The weather is warm enough that you only need a jacket in the evenings (riding in a Red Bug). The Aug trip was HOT...:yikes: It's a quiet island. If you looking for a wild tourist type place this isn't it. Make sure to bring your camera. The moss covered trees create some awesome photo ops in some areas. Driftwood beach is a must see. I didn't get it until I started to look closely at some of the trees. This is one place where the beauty is in the details. The historic area is great. A lot of the mansions are open for viewing if that's your thing. Some have been repurposed as art galleries and such.

As for flying in, beware of the crosswinds. They have good tie downs and chocks but there is no fuel but KSSI is a short flight with good prices.

Instead of Jekyll I'd recommend KSSI (Saint Simons Island) take your bike just up the road to southern soul BBQ you won't regret it! It's even been on the travel channel.

In Florida FHB is nice, but if you want a more unique stop Cedar Key (KCDK) just on the west coast is one of those hidden Florida gems of an airport (if you can call it that) and cool waterfront historic town. Or St Augustine (KSGJ) which is just south of FHB if you plan on spending the night find a nice hotel or inn by st George street and explore the oldest city in North America

KCDK might be a bit too far out of my way, but I will keep it in mind. Thank you. St Augustine is another good suggestion, but I have visited it before. What's the name of the SSI's BBQ place? I was thinking of making a stop at SSI anyway. Anything else interesting to see? I think i have been there many years ago, but don't really remember anything.

I have to stop at Jekyll, even if it is for 5 minutes. Seems like an interesting place to explore on a bike anyway. And looking at the hotel prices, i'll probably stay there overnight as well.

KCDK might be a bit too far out of my way, but I will keep it in mind. Thank you. St Augustine is another good suggestion, but I have visited it before. What's the name of the SSI's BBQ place? I was thinking of making a stop at SSI anyway. Anything else interesting to see? .

The place is called Southern Soul. It's a 5 minute walk from the FBO, basically on the street on the other side of the fence of the approach end of 22. I've attached a screen shot so you can see. It's a nice area but I've never had any form of transportation there besides my feet so I'm not sure what else is around to see/do

Attachments

• IMG_3144.PNG
    IMG_3144.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Southern Soul is the the BBQ place at SSI. It's not quite as close to the FBO right now because they are in a temporary facility while they build a new building. Still very walkable.

Last edited:
Cool. I didn't know that you could camp on airport at Jekyll.
Neither did anyone else, until I asked. The local constable showed up on a 4 wheeler the next morning wanting to know what we were up to. We'd gotten permission from the airport manager prior to and setup down by the Quonset hut which is just out of view to the right. Dude seemed glad to hear us Yankees were moving on. . .

The place is called Southern Soul. It's a 5 minute walk from the FBO, basically on the street on the other side of the fence of the approach end of 22. I've attached a screen shot so you can see. It's a nice area but I've never had any form of transportation there besides my feet so I'm not sure what else is around to see/do

Southern Soul is the the BBQ place at SSI. It's not unite as close to the FBO right now because they are in a temporary facility while they build a new building. Still very walkable.

Not far from Southern Soul is Monkeywrench Bicycles. They rent bikes. My daughter and I fly down, walk over to Monkeywrench and get two bikes. Then we bike all over the place.

Back