Need some advice

rmh6977

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rmh6977
Hello everyone, I am looking for some direction and advice if some of you have the time. I am 36 years old and have always wanted to fly commercial aircraft. I had to choose a different career path out of high school for personal reasons but now have to chance to get into school and get going on this. My question is, am I to old to realistically just now start school and make it to a mAjor carrier one day before I retire or is there still hope?! I would appreciate any advice please! Thank you so very much.

Hello everyone, I am looking for some direction and advice if some of you have the time. I am 36 years old and have always wanted to fly commercial aircraft. I had to choose a different career path out of high school for personal reasons but now have to chance to get into school and get going on this. My question is, am I to old to realistically just now start school and make it to a mAjor carrier one day before I retire or is there still hope?! I would appreciate any advice please! Thank you so very much.

Can't give you any advice re success to get aboard a major carrier, however, ones happiness in a career is worth a lot.

Depends on the number of hours and the ratings you have, and your financial needs. If you are a low timer, and need to spend time working on the fringes (flying jumpers, puddle jumping freight) the compensation is VERY low. Whatever you are doing now, those jobs could entail a significant cut in pay. Even if you are able to live with the cut in pay for a couple years, there is no guarantee that you'd be selected for transition to the big leagues. When I was faced with that conundrum in my 30's, I choose to continue working as an engineer and use the money I made in that career to pursue as many flying adventures on my own as possible. I have no regrets after enjoying a wide range of marvelous flying machines that I have been able to fly when I wanted, and to destinations I chose. When I was in my 20s, I bought a sailboat and travelled around the Pacific on my own rather than join the Navy with the same basic logic. I was able to quench my desire to cross oceans without having someone else tell me when, where or how. I also got to focus on what I really loved without an overlay of administrative chores or bureaurcracy. So, think carefully about what it is you really want. If your real goal is to fly passengers in the back of a plane owned by someone else to destinations you don't get to choose and if you can live with low income for many years to achieve that dream, then go for it. If you just want to fly a lot, there are better and easier ways to make that happen.

Last edited:
Not sure about the majors,you can always go corporate,or charter 135. I did some charter work at 63.

There is always hope. Realistically, very little hope but, hope of making it to a major. If your funds are unlimited there are programs that can eventually lead to some type of commercial operation. The hours needed to even get the attention of a commercial operation (other than pipe line, piston 135 or similar work) is quite extensive. Even a corporate operation (one burning kerosene) is not going to consider anyone with less than 2500 hours and a couple hundred in a turbine.
IMO, the minimum experience to even start looking is a commercial, multi, instrument with a few hundred hours multi. You need the ATP to be taken really serious. There are always exceptions and some here will speak of those exceptions. You will hear of the low time pilot being at the right place at the right time to get a right seat job or some similar story. PM Ted DuPuis for his story. He has been the full circle.You will spend several years, on at best, very meager wages gaining this experience.
With enough hard work, enough sacrifice, and a couple lucky breaks, there is hope.

Good luck

Not sure if one can become a charter jet pilot more quickly than flying for major airline but I know 2 and they are both doing quite well flying around baseball players, CEOs, Rockstars, etc.

It seems to be one of those on again off again jobs where they work a couple weeks and take a month off, repeat.

Do you have any time under your belt at all?

Just go for it. Live the dream. Do what you love for work and never work a day in your life.

I have no time at all. Was accepted to Embry Riddle out of high school but acted like a teenage boy and got a girl pregnant and here I am. Finally have the chance to get going on school and am now deciding to follow the dream or take up criminal justice.

One of my CFI's became a pilot, then a CFI after he retired, and he's now a full time commercial charter pilot. Just depends on how much time and money you have to throw in to it.

I have no time at all. Was accepted to Embry Riddle out of high school but acted like a teenage boy and got a girl pregnant and here I am. Finally have the chance to get going on school and am now deciding to follow the dream or take up criminal justice.

Will you have the ability to start flying while you are taking classes for your degree?

I will have to work a full time job while in school. Also have a wife and 2 kids.I should be able to fly some while getting the degree but probably not as much as a normal full time student. (My work week consists of between 60-70 hrs)

The best advise I seen so for. Fly for fun but do not make a living out of it.
It will kill your passion for flying. Just what I heard from Several Airline pilots.

I will have to work a full time job while in school. Also have a wife and 2 kids.I should be able to fly some while getting the degree but probably not as much as a normal full time student. (My work week consists of between 60-70 hrs)

Gosh this is going to be tough. You are going to have to be able to fly a few times a week.

Maybe....take criminal justice, get a job there, then work your way into law inforcement aviation. Can be done.

Realistically, not likely to happen. First the OP specifically asked about the majors, part 121. Very few opportunities except through the regional/commuter route. Regional is going to require an ATP. That requires 1500 hours except through certain exempted schools (read VERY expensive schools). This is going to exist of several years of minimum wage flying jobs after the very expensive schools. If you can afford $75,000 for the schooling then several years of minimum wage then by all means go for it. Short of this, not very likely.
Are there other flying jobs? of course. But until you get to the corporate turbine level you are still talking starvation wages.
So, your day job takes 60+ hours a week, then full or part time student in criminal justice (whatever that is). Just do the math and see if you can make it work.

Again good luck!!

I really appreciate everyone's response and advice. Seems like the smart play is to do the criminal justice route and then maybe work on at least private pilot. We Wil see. Thanks again!

To get to a Major? Yeah, you're too old, you need 1500 hrs before you make it to the right seat of a regional, then who knows if you ever make it to a Major. Do you already have a BA/BS? Majors pretty much require them.

Realistically, not likely to happen. First the OP specifically asked about the majors, part 121. Very few opportunities except through the regional/commuter route. Regional is going to require an ATP. That requires 1500 hours except through certain exempted schools (read VERY expensive schools). This is going to exist of several years of minimum wage flying jobs after the very expensive schools. If you can afford $75,000 for the schooling then several years of minimum wage then by all means go for it. Short of this, not very likely.
Are there other flying jobs? of course. But until you get to the corporate turbine level you are still talking starvation wages.
So, your day job takes 60+ hours a week, then full or part time student in criminal justice (whatever that is). Just do the math and see if you can make it work.

Again good luck!!

I made more than Regional pilots flying pipeline patrol. I made more than most pilots at majors with a spray plane, and I made pretty good money taking pictures out of a rented 152.

Back