Need small air compressor.

If "tank" and "quiet" are higher priority, you might try Milwaukee's M18 cordless 2-gallon compressor although it's a little more $ than some. This video has it running around the 3:50 mark if you want to hear what it sounds like.

Through circumstances, I've ended up with a variety of compressors.

From smallest to largest:
Dewalt Tire Inflater - Compact, easy to set, can run off of 12v plug in or 20v Dewalt Battery
715BbKcd2IL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Dewalt 20v Pancake Compresser - Light, portable, runs off 20v or 60v Dewalt Batteries, is more of a real compressor than the inflator
71wLyE38GXL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Bostitch Pancake - 120v only, but has more capacity than the Dewalt 20v for running air tools and such. Little bigger and heavier.
71bGWX-TsmS._AC_SX522_.jpg

I also have a 20 gallon Craftsman vertical tank compressor, but that is a more fixed solution.

HARBOR FREIGHT COMPRESSOR

Something like this from Harbor Freight would seem to check the boxes for you if all you're going to do is add air to your tires now and then. It's inexpensive and has a water drain.

I have pretty much been talked out of buying any new compessor and to just continue my little Ryobi inflator. It does the job, but it doesn't remove any water from our humid Florida air.

I have a large compressor in the hangar for work related task.

For the motorcycle I bought a small inflator that is charged by USB. It works surprisingly well on motorcycle and small auto tires:

Nulksen Tire Inflator

Any air compressor you buy us going to induce moisture to the air. Just the process of compressing air generates heat and that heated air causes water to condense. If you want completely dry air to fill your tires then you are going to need to either use nitrogen or install a large compressor and air line dryer like they have for automotive paint booths. The nitrogen tank setup is going to be about $200 and another $50-75 every time you empty it. The air dryer is going to cost around $2000 plus the compressor and piping.

In reality the air in your tires will end up having the same amount of moisture that’s in the air outside when you fill them. It will re evaporate into the air in your tires over time so you won’t end up with pooled water inside if that is your concern. It’s also not going to be enough moisture to cause any type of corrosion or maintenance issues. If your tires have tubes (many do) those rubber tubes will also keep any moisture away from the metal rims as well.

You really are trying to solve a problem with your airplane that just isn’t there. If you only want to fill your tires without any noise then get a small portable 3 gallon air tank from harbor freight, fill it up at the local gas station, keep it in your hanger and just pull it out when you occasionally need to top off a tire when your wife is around.

Last edited:
I have a small Rigid that I picked up at Home Depot. Not quiet, but it seldom runs. Tank, so it doesn't run often.

If it has a tank and you do not fill right after ir runs, it doesn't matter if you drain before filling or now, the liquid water is no longer in the air.

Best part is, it is orange so it matches my plane. :D

Back