Need S Co destination

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I want to take Janet my wife away on her BD for a couple of days, so I put a soup bowl on the Rand McNally and drew a semicircle centered on home base, to approximate a 5hr trip.
We want to go high where it is cool, beautiful, hiking available, and crowds non-existent - so that makes S Colorado the most likely destination (Denver and south)
Any ideas considered and appreciated!

Let'sgoflying! said:
I hear they have a brand new airport!
Hmmm, it's been a few years since I've been there but it looks like the same airport to me. Seems like there are a few more buildings, though, and maybe the runway is longer and/or wider.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2V1

Pagosa Springs is a beautiful place and it seems to meet all your requirements.

Thanks ESW,

this is the sort of thing Ive been hearing:

"From Mark Beaird on 08-Jun-2006
We have made many prior trips to beautiful Pagosa Springs. The airport has been under major construction for almost two years, but all work appears complete. The runway has been extended, resurfaced, and striped. The new FBO building has been moved to the north end of the airport. The large, brand new, well-appointed FBO has all the works - comfortable leather chairs in lobby, HDTV, on line weather. Very comfortable for passengers. Fuel was below average cost for the area. I had a blocked pitot tube"

West from Pueblo to Salida (0V2) and some white water rafting or soaring. Then on west over Monarch Pass to Gunnison (KGUC). Rent a car or grab a shuttle for the 30 minute drive to Crested Butte. This is a great time of year to be in the Mountains.

Chip

Canon City. Raft the Royal Gorge and go hiking in that area. You can even take a steam train trip through the gorge. You can fly into Fremont County Airport, 1V6.

Glenwood Springs (KGWS) had a great time at the Hotel Colorado built in the late 1800's it had no airconditioning but wasn't bad in late summer.

Must be VFR to land there, you'll see why. KRIL is close if you need an approach and/or rental car.

Joe

New Mexico NW of Santa Fe has some really beautiful mountain, not a lot of people, and hot springs. You hike and when you come up to a spring you dive in an enjoy. The tempratures of the water will be warm while the air temp will be comfortable.

When I lived in NM I used to spend many a weekend up in Jemex mountains. Here is a web site that describes some of the hot spring attractions http://www.discovernewmexico.com/hotsprings/index.htm

Thks; booked in at Pa Springs, will remember other suggestions for future trips!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thks; booked in at Pa Springs, will remember other suggestions for future trips!

I am sure you will enjoy, it is all very beautiful out there. I however live in some the ugliest landscapes, cornfields and strip malls are the norm in the midwest.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Hope you have a great time! :yes:

You'll have to let us know how it went!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Add Crested Butte to your list. I think their official wildflower season starts the ween after July 4. Absolutely stunning!

I am in Pagosa Springs right now. Lots of pics but no download capability here.
Overall, we are in awe of the scenery. Craggy peaks, deep blue skies,, huge thunderheads, magnificent vegetation, some wildlife waterfalls and hotsprings. Serious hiking trails, should have passed the Bruce Treadmill test before coming! They have not inconsiderable vertical to them.
The airport is freshly lengthened (8K) and new surface. Not too hard to spot. No approach yet.
Going to try to get out in the am before the DA gets over 8.5K tomorrow.

The town is undergoing explosive growth; tourism begats immigration. Land prices are insane, a lot of wealthy folk have discovered it. Lumber yards, realtors, constructions companies abound. Saw $100K per ac land. The usual problems with the city/county being overwhelmed with demands for resources and frustrating time lags. Not my bag, I'll stick to being a tourist.

Thanks all for the tips, wife happy, pilot happy.

A local view (The Wolf Creek road)
and
on the way home we went pretty high, I reached back and found this cheetos bag my wife had bought, ready to pop

Attachments

• Pagosa36.JPG
    Pagosa36.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 14
  • pagosa50.JPG
    pagosa50.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 15
A lot of Colorado looks like that. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

17,500 ft. Wow Dave, the Tiger will never see that. I've had it uo to 14.5K ft.

We are definitely going to explore that state more.

I was pleased with the old bird, we showed 160kts and 10gph most of the way home. Funny passing abq to have atc call a Continental jet climbing out below us (we were at least 30mi east of the Sangre de Cristo's).

17,500 ... nice! Your Viking is non-turbo, right?

Goes to show you what HP and an airplane with an actual wing can do.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I am in Pagosa Springs right now. Lots of pics but no download capability here.

Thanks all for the tips, wife happy, pilot happy.
Dave, I'm glad you guys had a great time! We missed you at Gaston's, though.

Yes non-turbo; its the IO520 and getting some age on her too. We were a couple hundred under gross and it was pretty lively on departure, DA just about 9K. I still did not breath much til reaching 1000', lotsa trees around that place.

Hi Diana, maybe next trip. Good job on organizing it- sounded like a terrific gathering.

PS this weekend was the annual panhandle Tx Viking flyin. Always something airplaney happens on my wife's BD but I promised, no planes this time. So we get to Pagosa and meet with two Viking owners at dinner the first night!

Last edited:
Areeda said:
Glenwood Springs (KGWS) had a great time at the Hotel Colorado built in the late 1800's it had no airconditioning but wasn't bad in late summer
I love that place! Also the Yampa Spa was wonderful with GREAT massages both times I went there. It especially felt good after white water rafting.

Back