Need Mac laptop info/advice

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Our home PC has exceeded its useful life and my work-issued PC was just recalled so I'm in the market for a new computer. At my wife's insistence, I am looking to make the transition to a Mac laptop for our family machine.

Problem is, I know almost nothing about Macs. Any recommendations for a decent Mac laptop model that will do the basics like run Office, surf the web, and handle a ton of music and family photos? Also, does Apple set pricing or are there places to look for deals?

Question 2: Since we are moving to a laptop, I'd like the printer (HP color laser) to function indepent of a computer. What's the best way to set this up? Wireless print server?

Thanks.

Jim

Suggestion: use OpenOffice instead of the Microsoft Office stuff.

How big a screen would you like? I'm perfectly happy with my 13" macbook pro for my home machine. At work I have a 15" screen macbook pro, with a 20" monitor.

Do you need processing power?

Pricing is pretty set but you can find deals at www.macmall.com, especially on older models when updates are announced.

I just bought office for Mac because I like the standardization between work and home. I can't speak regarding open office.

I made the move a few years ago and started with an iMac. We have a canon printer that works via wifi. Pretty standard feature I believe on newer printers. I use it with pc and Mac.

None of the new models have dvd/cd drives or an ethernet port, so if that's something you need you'd have to get a usb accessory.

I had one of the previous 13" macbook pros. Great machine, now my wife's. The only negative thing I have to say about it is I tend to be running a lot of stuff at once and sometimes I couldn't fit as much as I wanted onto that screen. Not sure how the new retina display models are about that, but you might want to look into a 15" if that's an issue for you.

One other note, the batteries on everything for the past few years are internal and can't be replaced by the user. I believe if you buy a refurb from apple, they put in a new battery.

The prices for new machines seems to be the same no matter where you go. The apple web site has an area for refurbished machines if you are looking to save a few bucks. If you have any problems it is nice to be able to bring it to an apple store and they actually know something about the machines and will actually help you out. My experience has been very good. The 13" macbook pro seems to be the sweetspot. I don't think that the retina display is necessary. Order it loaded with lots of RAM. I think that you will be happy.

I love my MacBook Pro 13" that I am on right now.

But, I still need a PC to do things a Mac just doesn't do well.

Hey Jim,
I moved from Windows to Mac at home a couple of years ago.
MacBook Air is just fine for personal use. No reason to go up to MacBook Pro, unless you are doing serious video editing or desktop publishing.

What exact HP printer do you have?
Most HP printers can have a small print server attachment hooked to it, and bingo, it's a network printer.
Is your current PC serviceable? You could use it as a print server, to run the printer via the network, if your printer can't connect directly to the network.

Is there any reason you would need to use MS Office specifically?
LibreOffice is the replacement for Open Office, I use it on my Mac (I also have Office Mac on my computer as well).
Libre Office works good for Word and spreadsheets. If you do serious Powerpoint, I would recommend Office.

I built the first 5 or 6 PCs I ever owned. I know Windows, and know how to make it work.
But honestly, I'm glad we got Macs, because I don't have to make it work.

Our home PC has exceeded its useful life and my work-issued PC was just recalled so I'm in the market for a new computer. At my wife's insistence, I am looking to make the transition to a Mac laptop for our family machine.

Problem is, I know almost nothing about Macs. Any recommendations for a decent Mac laptop model that will do the basics like run Office, surf the web, and handle a ton of music and family photos? Also, does Apple set pricing or are there places to look for deals?

Question 2: Since we are moving to a laptop, I'd like the printer (HP color laser) to function indepent of a computer. What's the best way to set this up? Wireless print server?

Thanks.

Jim

I have a brand new MBP 13" with retina display. The max RAM is 8, and I use my PC for most Photoshop work since it is a bit faster with 12Gb. The solid state drive is really nice. The machine boots in seconds as compared to my XP Pro notebook which seems to take two minutes or longer. Seems like hours.

You can run a lot of PC software using Parallels, but Office 2011 for Mac and Photoshop run faster than on the emulated Windows of Parallels. It will take a while getting used to find stuff on the desktop, which is different than in a Windows machine.

And despite the claims, my Mac does lock up sometimes (mostly on Microsoft Word). Overall very satisfied, but you can get the same capability in a PC machine for a lot less.

I have problems with beachball of death on aperture and I'm max RAM.

Some new macs have to add all RAM on purchase - forget if that applies to MB pro Retina. If not, by RAM from secondary supplier and save money. Apple places a premium on their RAM

But, I still need a PC to do things a Mac just doesn't do well.

Why don't you simply use Parallels, VMWare, or VirtualBox and run Windows for the things you need it for?

The only place that really won't work is with some of the specialized old hardware that's still using old PC serial/parallel ports and such.

The primary software I use for work is Windows-only. I rarely use anything else on the Windows side.

http://store.apple.com/

Take a look at what's available, and let us know what interests you!

The retina-display models are overkill for your use right now - I have one, and man they look beautiful, but they're quite expensive if all you need is a web-surfer/word processor type of machine.

The basic models are:

1) MacBook Air (11" and 13"): These are very thin and light, but have very little in the way of ports - Two USB 3, one Thunderbolt, and one headphone jack. If you need to be ultra-mobile, this one's great - But watch out! They're so small and light that one of the notable tech columnists, I think it was David Pogue, lost one when his wife scooped it up in a bunch of magazines off the coffee table and threw it out. (Ouch!) These aren't really upgradeable at all after purchase, so load them up when you buy to make them last as long as possible (a good idea in any case).

2) MacBook Pro. This is more of a run-of-the-mill laptop, with a full complement of ports and available in 13" and 15" (even 17" if you want to get a refurb, those were discontinued in July). This is probably the direction you want to go.

3) MacBook Pro w/Retina Display. *Really* nice display, very thin and light while retaining the full-featured nature of the MacBook Pro (Despite the name similarity, these are really a separate line of computers from the MacBook Pros, and are much thinner and lighter). RAM is not upgradeable like with the MacBook Air and hard drives are a specialized SSD that is *not* cheaper elsewhere, so like the Air, if you decide on one of these, load it up at the time of purchase.

Why don't you simply use Parallels, VMWare, or VirtualBox and run Windows for the things you need it for?

The only place that really won't work is with some of the specialized old hardware that's still using old PC serial/parallel ports and such.

The primary software I use for work is Windows-only. I rarely use anything else on the Windows side.

Because I can buy a "GREAT" PC laptop cheaper, and have two machines.

Anything dealing with pictures can be done better on a PC. Mac is so backward dealing with images.

Waitaminute... You can buy a great PC laptop cheaper than a copy of VirtualBox (which is free)??? Sign me up! :D

(Okay, so you still need to buy a copy of Windows. Dunno what that costs.)

Anything dealing with pictures can be done better on a PC. Mac is so backward dealing with images.

How so? :dunno:

And if that's the case, why do the pros predominantly use Macs?

You can save hundreds by purchasing a official Apple refurbished product - Every mac I own except for the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 is refurbed -

I am writing this on Mac desktop [a 20" iMac] purchased in June 2006 as a Feb 2006 refurbished model. Running 10.6.8 - I think its the Leopard OS.

The DVD burner still works, it shuts on and off properly - has no malware on it - runs everything I need to run. I have Parallels installed but its too old now and will not update any longer. So that tells you the last time I ran Win XP on it. I have a crappy little Dell Inspirion Netbook that run Jepp J-sum on to update my cards - maybe Jepp will come into the 21st century soon and give us a Mac programmer.

But - I'm using a 6.5 year old desktop running the modern browsers and modern encryption programs - Office 2008 - a modern OS and knock on wood - its my primary computer right now.

Not only Mac's just 'work,' but they also last. If I'd been buying windoze desktops I'd have gone through at least 3 since June 2006. And here we are . . .

We have 2004 white MacBook that still works just fine. Its a little slow because you can't out more than 1gb of RAM on it.

You can save hundreds by purchasing a official Apple refurbished product - Every mac I own except for the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 is refurbed -

Good call. Apple's refurb program is excellent, and they're indistinguishable from new except they come in a different colored box. They're generally units that have never made it to consumers.

To the original poster: you said this was to be the new FAMILY machine. Does it need to be a laptop?

I ask because my wife thought she wanted a MacBook Air or Pro, until we visited the Apple Store and she saw and experienced the iMac desktop unit. She decided she'd rather go iPad Mini for portable use and have the larger screen, keyboard and touchpad, more CPU and memory options, user upgradable components and lower price point of the iMac.

Something to consider if you don't need the mobility of the laptop.

Oh, I did not answer the printer question you had -

In 2007 I bought a Brother MFC-7840W for $229. It still works perfectly. It is wirelessly networkable - it also can be used USB or via ethernet.

I have ALWAYS used it as an ethernet networked printer because its much easier to find then. Also - using ethernet I can remote scan if I have to and remote fax as well as give it a static LAN address.

That said - Apple makes a Router called the Apple Airport Extreme router- native 802.11n. Part # A1408. It comes with a USB port that can be used for a dedicated networked USB printer - I have a 1TB hard drive hooked up to the USB port for back up purposes - but it can be used as a printer port for very easy network printing - ANY USB printer becomes a network printer.

I happen to have an extra one which I will sell brand new - still sealed in the box - for $150 including shipping. Yes, its a pricey router. Yes you can get a Belkin or Linksys for half that- but - once again - its an Apple product. I would go through a router at least once a year and after 6 months it would start locking up and stuff - the apple router has NEVER locked up. This is very very good unit - not the fastet or most configurable router out there- but I get 40mb through put in the same room moving files wirelessly. . . . so its pretty darn fast.

You generally get what you pay for. If anyone wants the Apple Airport Extreme router for $150 - send me a PM.

OP here. Been following the replies all day today at work. Thanks for all of the great info and tips.

Based on the feedback, I'm thinking that the 13" MacBook Pro might be the best combo of capability and cost. We are definitely thinking laptop as the kitchen table seems to have become the default location for using the computer. I had a small office in the basement that I just repurposed because we weren't using it. An apple store just opened near my house today so I'm going to go play with them and then place the order online. I think that a refurbished unit definitely makes sense. I still in sticker shock so the prices of the refurbs are more tolerable.

With regard to the printer, it's an HP cp1215 color laser printer. I thought about nuking my current pc and using that as a print server. However, I plan to stick the printer somewhere out of the way and would prefer a smaller solution. My home wi-fi network runs off a Verizon router. I think that the air port would be duplicative, right. Is there a USB device that would essentially make my printer wireless?

Thanks again.

Jim

Last edited:
With regard to the printer, it's an HP cp1215 color laser printer. I thought about nuking my current pc and using that as a print server. However, I plan to stick the printer somewhere out of the way and would prefer a smaller solution.
You may not have a choice. HP says there are no Mac drivers for the cp1215.

I googled around, and I'm not finding anything to make the 1215 work. Sorry.
You may try the drivers for the CM1312, I have it and it looks like the same base print engine unit (the 1312 is a multifunction).

You may not have a choice. HP says there are no Mac drivers for the cp1215.

They're built in with OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and above: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c02911238&lc=en&product=3422476#N74

There's also a workaround for those on older operating systems.

I've never found a printer I couldn't get working on a Mac. OS X includes drivers for so many printers that you rarely ever need to track one down from the manufacturer.

Have to disagree. Photos are why I switched. Mac deals with RAW files natively and much smoother than windows. I don't use iPhoto and prefer to use referenced masters and control my own folder structure vice letting iPhoto or Aperture manage my photos. If that is what you were referring to I agree I don't like the default but the option is there to manage images yourself. After a brief stint with Aperture, I went back to Lightroom which doesn't try to use a vault (not the reason I switched back).

I've never found a printer I couldn't get working on a Mac. OS X includes drivers for so many printers that you rarely ever need to track one down from the manufacturer.

I have, but it was old.

Technically, Mac uses CUPS (formerly: Common Unix Printing System, now no longer officially known as that) and can't really take credit for all the great printer support. The open source community gets that credit. Apple uses it but it was around before OSX even existed. RedHat first integrated CUPS in 2002. Apple first utilized it in 2007, a full five years later.

You generally get what you pay for. If anyone wants the Apple Airport Extreme router for $150 - send me a PM.

I hate to break this to you but the new Airport Express is dual-band simultaneous 802.11a/b/g/n and has a USB port capable of handling any supported printer, as well as an audio port for AirPlay remote speakers... And is $99 new. ;)

Basically almost all the reasons to buy an AirPort Extreme are gone other than USB disk sharing. The new Express is the size of an AppleTV puck. Only if you need the larger antenna array of the Extreme will most folks need one.

They also do cool things with WiFi roaming to cover a large space. I bought two and have Ethernet between them. They're in bridged mode and create the same SSID, so machines on both sides of the house pick the strongest one and have wicked fast WiFi speeds. If I move around the house, the device I have with me hops to the other Express if its stronger.

You used to only be able to do that stuff with an Extreme as the head unit. No more! ;)

I use a five year old extreme that I used to pair with an express when I was in a house with copper pipes and needed to extend the signal. I did have pairing issues at times and I forget exact specs but using the express dropped quality, maybe didn't support n?

I might look into two expresses to cover upstairs and down. Extreme is first router I've ever had last five years without bricking.

One question Jim, how portable does it need to be? How do you plan to use it?

Nate - I think you have the wrong one there- the Airport Express is $99

The Airport EXTREME is $199 .. . I have the Airport Extreme. That is what I am selling. I even gave you the part number - A1408 - so please don't tell me I'm wrong . ..

And as I mentioned I use the Extreme with a 1TB external USB drive for backup - which is not supported by the Express.

I would appreciate if you would correct the record . . .

I switched from Windows to my Macbook Pro 13" a year ago. No regrets. I love this thing! I wasn't a Mac user before either, but this totally changed my mind.

Nate - I think you have the wrong one there- the Airport Express is $99

The Airport EXTREME is $199 .. . I have the Airport Extreme. That is what I am selling. I even gave you the part number - A1408 - so please don't tell me I'm wrong . ..

And as I mentioned I use the Extreme with a 1TB external USB drive for backup - which is not supported by the Express.

I would appreciate if you would correct the record . . .

I was saying that the *new* Express does everything the Extreme used to do, except the hard disk networking. It'll support USB printing now and dual-band N -- and is only $99 brand new. If someone needs an attached USB disk, the used Extreme is a good deal. If they only need to hook up a printer, a new Express is cheaper and includes AirPlay, which even the new Extreme wont do.

I was saying that the *new* Express does everything the Extreme used to do, except the hard disk networking. It'll support USB printing now and dual-band N -- and is only $99 brand new. If someone needs an attached USB disk, the used Extreme is a good deal. If they only need to hook up a printer, a new Express is cheaper and includes AirPlay, which even the new Extreme wont do.

Thanks - and yes. My point mainly was the use of the external drive . . . .

There's always the Time Capsule if you need storage in addition to networking and print serving.

Does the express function as a router/switch? Is it a DHCP server?

At $300 . . .. and up.

For the peace of mind it provides me, it's a bargain.

I've got the 3TB one, and my laptop is always backed up. Heck, the new laptop doesn't even need to be awake to be backed up any more thanks to "power nap."

When my Time Capsule got blown up in the lightning strike to the house, I replaced it with two Expresses and a Buffalo NAS that does about ten more things than the Time Capsule while also simulating that it's a Time Capsule. The Macs have no idea they're talking to a Buffalo.

And... I recently had a total disaster with unencryption of a FileVault 2 disk in the MacBook Pro. Further investigation found that its a bug in FV2 that's gone unneeded and unfixed by Apple in two years time. I did speak with their support and expressed my displeasure nicely after the only option was a possible but unlikely escalation to Engineering at Apple.

Backups saved the day. Plugged in the Gigabit Erhernet direct into the switch the Buffalo lives off of, and 20 hours later, the machine was restored to exactly where I started the FV2 odyssey. During the restore I dumped FV2 completely and would not recommend it to anyone ever contemplating removing the whole-disk encryption later on for any reason.

Another significant pain... I need to dispose of the dead TC, but not with my data still on the hard disk. Getting a TC open requires a heat gun and a lot of effort. Yanking the disks from the Buffalo is right out of the front, even upgrading them. It can do RAID 1 out of the box, and with an additional external USB attached disk, RAID 5.

Loved my old TC for a long time, and owned two of them, but Apple hasn't kept up with home NAS pricing or features at all. To give a sense of the depth of feature set on the Buffalo, it'll seed torrents directly and download from them also, and it is also backing up my Flickr account and can be used as the method of uploading to it also, since it builds a two-way sync to any folder. That's just a tiny number of the features included, and it was the cheaper, older, one. Web, SFTP, FTP, CIFS, as well as AFS file access, can act as a media server, etc.

Buffalo has the TC whipped and whipped bad right now. And I can stuff 3TB disks into it if I desire.

One question Jim, how portable does it need to be? How do you plan to use it?

The kitchen table seems to have become the default "office," so much so that i have repurposed my basement home office as a family music room. I don't plan to use it outside of the house much but am more interested in the freedom to use it anywhere within the house.

Back