Need logbook for medical?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
The old crusty trusty guy I've been going to (and knew the system) has retired, and based on some other pilot input, have found another AME that is supposed to be good.

I made the office appointment and his staff insisted I needed to bring my logbook to the medical. I've never brought one before, I know we need to enter the total and 6 month flight time into the 8500-8, is the Doctor required to certify that time against the logbook? Can he reject me if I don't bring the logbook?

Unless getting dual, my logbook never leaves the home.

3rd class medical, if that makes any difference.

ive never heard that. new guy must think you need it to estimate your flight time in last 6 months

The only reason would be that the application has a spot for total time and time in the last 6 months. If you know those two numbers, no logbook necessary.

Well, at the risk of being repetitive (but it ads weight, doesn't it?) I've never brought mine, either. Just write down the numbers and bring them with you. My log book goes with me for dual instruction only. Otherwise it stays home.

The AME has no authority to require you to bring your logbook to the exam or to cross-check your log against the application. The flight time numbers you put in that form are over your signature, not the AME's. Heck, there's no requirement for you ever to have flown in order to get a medical. If you find this burdensome, advise the local FSDO or the Regional Flight Surgeon of this situation so they can take appropriate action to re-educate this AME.

I made the office appointment and his staff insisted I needed to bring my logbook to the medical. I've never brought one before, I know we need to enter the total and 6 month flight time into the 8500-8, is the Doctor required to certify that time against the logbook? Can he reject me if I don't bring the logbook?

Unless getting dual, my logbook never leaves the home.

3rd class medical, if that makes any difference.
I have a bad feeling about this AME. The hours boxes were put there in the late 70s because it generates the data that FAA uses for "hours flown", the denominator for the accident rate data.

It's not regulatory. I don't think he understands this very basic item. I hope you subsequently post and tell me that it's NOT so.

I have a bad feeling about this AME. The hours boxes were put there in the late 70s because it generates the data that FAA uses for "hours flown", the denominator for the accident rate data.

It's not regulatory. I don't think he understands this very basic item. I hope you subsequently post and tell me that it's NOT so.

I wonder about him as well, but all the AME's around here are medical mills, and won't stick their neck out to do an office issue even when they have the SI letter from Silberman allowing them to do so.

And, the old trusty crusty guy I went to last time (and knew the system) retired.

Supposedy, this guy is my best shot at not getting deferred. :(

I go see him this Thursday, and see how it goes.

Supposedy, this guy is my best shot at not getting deferred. :(

You could always fly up to see Dr. Bruce..... Do it before long because it gets very cold up his way this time of year!

The only reason would be that the application has a spot for total time and time in the last 6 months. If you know those two numbers, no logbook necessary.
You're even allowed to guess at the two numbers and write "est" next to them. I did that two weeks ago.

I made the office appointment and his staff insisted I needed to bring my logbook to the medical.

Mmmm .. I'm thinking if this guy is that much of a stinker for details how
much slack is he going to give you and how much will he work with you.

Mmmm .. I'm thinking if this guy is that much of a stinker for details how
much slack is he going to give you and how much will he work with you.

Quite hppy, I got my office issue (as I should). Happiness is a little white piece pf paper that lets you fly airplanes for another two years.:yes:

I'm glad you got your medical, but I'm curious now...what was the need for the log book? Did he really need it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back