NEED HELP-WHEN TO USE WHICH FREQUENCIES AND WHY-ATC, UNICOM, CTAF, Stations, ATIS…

ZMSATX

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ZMSATX
I am a student pilot (40 hours, just completed solo cross country)
Where can I get solid explanations for which frequencies to use and their purposes. What info does each frequency type provide to the pilot?

I am struggling with understanding who I need to contact...when and how do I determine which frequency is appropriate by looking at the sectional and Airport Directories.

Thanks!

Re: NEED HELP-WHEN TO USE WHICH FREQUENCIES AND WHY-ATC, UNICOM, CTAF, Stations, ATIS

Where can I get solid explanations for which frequencies to use and their purposes. What info does each frequency type provide to the pilot?

I am struggling with understanding who I need to contact...when and how do I determine which frequency is appropriate by looking at the sectional and Airport Directories.

Thanks!

This is a very broad question and indicates you and your instructor need to sit down and do some ground training. As far as a reference for you, the AIM (aeronautical information manual) addresses your questions and is online (and searchable).

Last edited:
Re: NEED HELP-WHEN TO USE WHICH FREQUENCIES AND WHY-ATC, UNICOM, CTAF, Stations, ATIS

You won't find "center" frequencies on the sectional.
Each airport is under airspace controlled by a controlling body.

If you are near class b/c it is going to be their approach / departure frequencies.

I think I know what you are asking. This is part of pre planning.

Go to skyvector.com and look up your local uncontrolled field out in the middle of nowhere.

Right click and click the blue link that pops up

for example: http://skyvector.com/airport/0F2/Bowie-Municipal-Airport
middle frame, 3rd from the top you see a box called airport communications and at the bottom you see:

Remarks:
  • APCH/DEP SERVICE PROVIDED BY FORT WORTH ARTCC ON FREQS 127.95/322.325 (WICHITA FALLS NR 2 RCAG).
That is basically telling you if you want to talk to Center (flight following)
you need to dial up 127.95 and ask "Fort worth Center for Flight following"

note: the 322.325 freq is for military. you only care about freq in the 100s

Almost all airports are going to provide a center frequency.
This can be found in foreflight, your AFD book, skyvector etc.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

You need to talk with your instructor,you should have an idea of how the airspace works. I'm surprised you did a solo cross country ,without that knowledge .

You need to talk with your instructor,you should have an idea of how the airspace works. I'm surprised you did a solo cross country ,without that knowledge .

I agree, your CFI should be able to explain and your ground school should have covered that already.
I too am surprised that you were signed off on a solo X/C with this question. But then again, not all instructors or ground instructors are created equal. :dunno:

Does the ATX in your name indicate that you live in the Austin area? If so, it shouldn't be a problem to get you hooked up with a good ground instructor here.

I sympathize w/ OP

I did my solo xc having never used flight following.
I knew airspace and how to get ATIS and contact CTAF / Tower but nothing about enroute communication.

Same here.

ZMSATX, if you don't already have one, go to your local pilot supply shop (brick and mortar) and purchase a little green book known as the "Airport and Facilities Directory" also know as the A/FD.

This book contains a wealth of information including and beyond your question. Ever public airport is listed there with beaucoup bucket loads of information about the facility. Your instructor should be showing you what is in here, what the different bits mean when you look up the airport in question.

Also review the supplemental sections. Again, tons of information to help you.

Even if you eventually acquire an Electronic Flight Bag ( EFB ) program such as ForeFlight or WingX, you need to know where the EFB's airport info originated from.

Your instructor also needs to be reviewing with you what you are to do should you find yourself flying out of your normal territory, forgot your printed A/FD, had the sectional blow out the window, and your EFB/tablet just used up the last of the battery. This becomes the "Confess and Communicate" of the 4 C's of being lost. Very important to know and something your CFI should have covered during the prep for the cross country.

I would:
1. Look in the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and AIM
2. Ask your instructor

Thanks everyone! I should have been more detailed in my question but was hoping that by leaving it general I would get wide variety of responses.
This question was brought up because while taking practice written exams I was getting some questions wrong when they asked things like, "If Dallas Executive Tower is not in operation, which frequency should be used as a CTAF to monitor airport traffic?
My question is more about the details as to who to contact first then if they are not available or they are not in operation then who is contacted next and what type of tricky situations may I encounter (during the written and real life scenarios)?

Thank you for the advice.

I sympathize w/ OP

I did my solo xc having never used flight following.
I knew airspace and how to get ATIS and contact CTAF / Tower but nothing about enroute communication.

This is my exact situation...My ground school has been primarily the King Private Pilot course (full edition)
I like the videos and have learned a lot, however, they teach to the test and not all scenarios are covered nor is there a way to ask these questions when using a virtual course.

I will communicate more with my CFI.

Thanks again for the help!

I think so far everyone assumed the OP meant enroute frequencies. The fact that he actually means ground, tower, ctaf, atis, etc at 40 hours is very concerning.

Thanks everyone! I should have been more detailed in my question but was hoping that by leaving it general I would get wide variety of responses.
This question was brought up because while taking practice written exams I was getting some questions wrong when they asked things like, "If Dallas Executive Tower is not in operation, which frequency should be used as a CTAF to monitor airport traffic?
My question is more about the details as to who to contact first then if they are not available or they are not in operation then who is contacted next and what type of tricky situations may I encounter (during the written and real life scenarios)?

Thank you for the advice.

That information is in the AFD
Generally the the tower freq. reverts to CTAF when the tower closes.
There are likely fields where they have a specific freq. set aside for CTAF but I haven't come across one yet.

Long story short. When Denton tower closes for the evening, I still talk on the tower frequency but start giving position reports as I would at an uncontrolled field.

That information is in the AFD
Generally the the tower freq. reverts to CTAF when the tower closes.
There are likely fields where they have a specific freq. set aside for CTAF but I haven't come across one yet.

Long story short. When Denton tower closes for the evening, I still talk on the tower frequency but start giving position reports as I would at an uncontrolled field.

And this is stated in the A/FD.

This discussion reminds me that if I ever do achieve CFI, I'll be sure to schedule a ground school session to explain all of the published resources (including ones on papyrus) the fledgling student should know about.

And this is stated in the A/FD.

This discussion reminds me that if I ever do achieve CFI, I'll be sure to schedule a ground school session to explain all of the published resources (including ones on papyrus) the fledgling student should know about.

.....and preferably prior to soloing :wink2:

The fact that he actually means ground, tower, ctaf, atis, etc at 40 hours is very concerning.

I agree. At 40 hours, you should know this stuff.. Here are the basics, but things can change around for different airports and operating hours.

Non-towered airport: 1. AWOS 2. CTAF Freq.

Towered airport:

A. Departing when tower is open:
1. ATIS/AWOS etc. weather info
2. Clearance Delivery (typically at Class B and C)
2. Ground
3. Tower

B. Arriving when open:
1. ATIS/AWOS etc.. weather info
2. Tower
3. Ground

Thanks again for the responses...AGAIN, I should have been more detailed in my question. I am familiar with airspaces and communications. I know ATIS, AWOS, CTAF, UNICOM etc.

My question should have been when the tower closes, and I am looking at the sectional, which of the frequencies should I be communicating through to give position reports.

This being my first post on this forum, I now see that is best to ask direct questions rather than broad generalized questions.

Thanks again

Thanks again for the responses...AGAIN, I should have been more detailed in my question. I am familiar with airspaces and communications. I know ATIS, AWOS, CTAF, UNICOM etc.

My question should have been when the tower closes, and I am looking at the sectional, which of the frequencies should I be communicating through to give position reports.

This being my first post on this forum, I now see that is best to ask direct questions rather than broad generalized questions.

Thanks again

The answer is in the AFD. It is not on the sectional.

I am actually going to answer your question to which the title of your post inquires. Hope it helps.

Again, the basics..

When and Why: ATC, UNICOM, CTAF, Stations, ATIS

ATC - This would be Approach, Departure or Center Freq's. I have rarely been on a Center Freq. until being handed off from a Departure controller. Many times the Approach and Departure Freq. are the same. The Approach/Departure freq. you would want to establish contact with if you were entering a Class B or C airport, or wanted to pick up flight following after departing the airport.

UNICOM - This is typically the Freq. the FBO people are on. It is often the same as the CTAF. If I am on a UNICOM Freq which is the same as the CTAF and I am requesting a radio check from the FBO guys, I typcally address the radio call like (Morgantown Unicom, Cirrus 8CR requesting a radio check please)

CTAF - This is the Freq. you will use for your radio call at a non-towered airport or often when Towered airports close.

Stations - Not sure what you mean?

ATIS - This is the weather freq. often only at towered airports. There are other automated weather freq's such as AWOS,ASOS etc.. You would want to get the weather before taxi and landing. If you are at a towered airport, they will expect you to have the ATIS and relay the identifier. IE. information FoxTrot etc..

Hope that helps..

Oh? How so?

sorry, busy at work here, but to clarify my statement above, I believe it's something to this effect:

CT on the sectional means Control Tower
C means ctaf

so if you see this:
CT 123.45* C

if I remember correctly that means the control tower freq is 123.45 while the tower is open, after which it becomes the ctaf freq

I think lol. I knew this before 40 hours, I barely recall it now with much more than 40 hours lol.

sorry, busy at work here, but to clarify my statement above, I believe it's something to this effect:

CT on the sectional means Control Tower
C means ctaf

so if you see this:
CT 123.45* C

if I remember correctly that means the control tower freq is 123.45 while the tower is open, after which it becomes the ctaf freq

I think lol. I knew this before 40 hours, I barely recall it now with much more than 40 hours lol.

Heh. So it does. Thank you.

Any part-time towers without a C by them?

Man...this is basic stuff that should have been covered before you were off on your first cross country... Either your instructor is failing you... Or you are not putting enough time into your assigned ground studies. 40 hours b4 your first cross county seems a bit high to me... you might need to re-evaluate your situation... Starting with your instructor!

Last edited:

Thank you!

I am actually going to answer your question to which the title of your post inquires. Hope it helps.

Again, the basics..

When and Why: ATC, UNICOM, CTAF, Stations, ATIS

ATC - This would be Approach, Departure or Center Freq's. I have rarely been on a Center Freq. until being handed off from a Departure controller. Many times the Approach and Departure Freq. are the same. The Approach/Departure freq. you would want to establish contact with if you were entering a Class B or C airport, or wanted to pick up flight following after departing the airport.

UNICOM - This is typically the Freq. the FBO people are on. It is often the same as the CTAF. If I am on a UNICOM Freq which is the same as the CTAF and I am requesting a radio check from the FBO guys, I typcally address the radio call like (Morgantown Unicom, Cirrus 8CR requesting a radio check please)

CTAF - This is the Freq. you will use for your radio call at a non-towered airport or often when Towered airports close.

Stations - Not sure what you mean?

ATIS - This is the weather freq. often only at towered airports. There are other automated weather freq's such as AWOS,ASOS etc.. You would want to get the weather before taxi and landing. If you are at a towered airport, they will expect you to have the ATIS and relay the identifier. IE. information FoxTrot etc..

Hope that helps..

Read Say Again, Please by our very own Mr. Gardner.

Thank you!

It's almost all correct, but there is one omission I can see.

Towered airports can have UNICOM as well. It will, in general, not be CTAF for a part time tower. CTAF is usually the tower frequency, and UNICOM exists specifically to keep that sort of traffic off the tower frequency. Though, most of the time, when the tower is closed, all the UNICOM operators are gone.

A sectional is not enough for a cross country. There are many things that aren't on it. Like, pattern altitude, noise abatement, airport restrictions, app/dep frequencies for Class D, E or G airports, etc. You need an A/FD as well.

This is a very broad question and indicates you and your instructor need to sit down and do some ground training. As far as a reference for you, the AIM (aeronautical information manual) addresses your questions and is online (and searchable).

Bingo.

Yikes.... a lot of "know-it-all" answers here. Most solo xc sign-offs are based on local procedures. As long as the student knows how to get to point A, and back again, then that is what is important at that time. It's the first solo xc...not flying across seven states and landing on the White House lawn!

For the OP, I feel you. There are a multitude of frequencies. Who to call.... some towers have directional approach frequencies, some airports have special procedures. Learn the basics, such as how to contact flight following (either center or your last frequency), know who to contact for flight plans (fs radio - or 1-800-WXBRIEF). Lastly, if you screw it up you will be corrected. And you will learn. No big deal. Just thank the controller and move on. Just don't screw up Bravo. :rolleyes:

Welcome to POA where any question will generally garner the answers " can't belive your instructor................." and " you may not be cut out to be a pilot " and " I hope i don't have to share airspace with you." However, if you pick through the bull, you usually get good answers too. The answer to your question is, it's usually the tower freq. and the advice to get and use an AF/D is good advice.

Thanks!

Your CFI should role play ATC during your air/ground lessons. Practice picking up flight following, after hand off check in, first contact flying into a towered filed and that sort of stuff. If he/she does not do it, ask to review it.

"Stations" - I think the OP means Flight Service Stations.

This Stack Overflow posting will get you started .

Read Say Again, Please by our very own Mr. Gardner.

I too used FF for the first time AFTER my PPL checkride. Say Again Please was and remains invaluable for me as I continue to try to improve my radio work. I get FF for every xc flight now, but I still catch myself using improper phraseology and procedures. Bob's book makes a great reference for those post-flight self-debriefs.

I also rarely fly to a towered airport, so I use the book to remind myself of the procedures before those flights. It's a great plain-English reference.

Back