Need help selecting a flight school

PilotMick83

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I'm currently getting my information together to start training over the next couple of months and have 2 flight schools near me that I'm trying to decide between. Note: I haven't met instructors yet, that is part of the plan, but I want to see if one is better than the other. Both are part 61 - one is at a smaller pilot-controlled airport (KDYL) with 3k runway and limited selection of planes. The other is at KPNE (tower controlled, 5k and 7k ft runways). They both seem to fit the mold of what I want. I'm leaning towards KPNE just based on the availability of planes and learning on longer runways and with ATC. The cost is marginal, but I'm obviously considering it.

My question to you all - is the added benefit of longer runways, ATC, and more planes worth the extra $ in the long run? Any advice (or insider knowledge of either flight school) would be appreciated!!!

It can work either way, but if you intend to become an airline pilot or similar, then you will benefit by learning at an airport with a tower. Otherwise, its usually less aggravating and more fun to learn at an airport without a tower. What really matters is the instructor and the condition of the airplanes. Talk to instructors and find one you like. Good luck!

You will spend more Hobbs hours waiting for takeoff at a towered field (although most of the time PNE has relatively light traffic.)

Go where it's more convenient; you don't want to spend half a day to log 0.7 hours. Also, I think you'll be a better pilot getting used to a 3000' runway.

What are your goals?

A 3000' runway is plenty long enough.

I believe flying at a non towered airport helps to build better situational awareness as you must act as your own controller so to speak. Though you will want to learn in both environments. Flying into a towered field is a snap after flying at a non towered field.

As long as a plane is available when you want to fly, I'd save some money and fly at the smaller field.

Learning to fly is less about the flight school and more about the instructor.
This. Personally I switched from uncontrolled to controlled in the middle and I think that worked well.

A 3000' runway is plenty long enough.

I believe flying at a non towered airport helps to build better situational awareness as you must act as your own controller so to speak. Though you will want to learn in both environments. Flying into a towered field is a snap after flying at a non towered field.

As long as a plane is available when you want to fly, I'd save some money and fly at the smaller field.
If the OP does DYL, there are three towered fields within 10 min flying, so there's ample opportunity to fly in the system. Allentown and Philly controllers are generally pretty helpful.

Not totally agreeable on flying into a towered field a "snap." Things can happen quickly to overwhelm a student-- even pilots who don't fly in a controlled environment much. Ground ops can be a lot more complex.

This. Personally I switched from uncontrolled to controlled in the middle and I think that worked well.
Funny, I went the other way, from Class C to a place like DYL... the good part is you have to get comfortable with the radio earlier...

More fun and a bit cheaper at a non-towered airport. Your CFI will ensure you have adequate exposure to a towered field if you go this route. Get your CFI to take you for a visit to the tower (and radar room too if they have one), controllers enjoy showing you what they do.

If the OP does DYL, there are three towered fields within 10 min flying, so there's ample opportunity to fly in the system. Allentown and Philly controllers are generally pretty helpful.

Not totally agreeable on flying into a towered field a "snap." Things can happen quickly to overwhelm a student-- even pilots who don't fly in a controlled environment much. Ground ops can be a lot more complex.

Understood and somewhat agree. I guess I should have qualified my remarks. I was thinking along the lines of a small to mid sized Class D. A Class B or C would not necessarily be a snap.

Back