Need help choosing school for Instrument Rating

There is a 40 hours instrument training requirement for an IR under Part 61?

(2) Forty hours of actual or simulated instrument time in the areas of operation listed in paragraph (c) of this section, of which 15 hours must have been received from an authorized instructor who holds an instrument-airplane rating, and the instrument time includes:

Isn’t that it?

There is a 40 hours instrument training requirement for an IR under Part 61?

d)Aeronautical experience for the instrument-airplane rating. A person who applies for an instrument-airplane rating must have logged:

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which 10 hours must have been in an airplane; and

(2) Forty hours of actual or simulated instrument time in the areas of operation listed in paragraph (c) of this section, of which 15 hours must have been received from an authorized instructor who holds an instrument-airplane rating, and the instrument time includes:

(i) Three hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in an airplane that is appropriate to the instrument-airplane rating within 2 calendar months before the date of the practical test; and

(ii)Instrument flight training on cross country flight procedures, including one cross country flight in an airplane with an authorized instructor, that is performed under instrument flight rules, when a flight plan has been filed with an air traffic control facility, and that involves -

(A) A flight of 250 nautical miles along airways or by directed routing from an air traffic control facility;

(B) An instrument approach at each airport; and

(C) Three different kinds of approaches with the use of navigation systems.

(e)Aer

How many hours do you think it requires?

The reg only requires 15 hours of training, meaning from an authorized instructor, the rest is time which may be accomplished with a safety pilot.

So you consider instruction from a CFI to be the only thing that qualifies as training? You don’t think that practicing with a safety pilot to be training? Really? You don’t think that this practice in furtherance of obtaining the IR to be training? Seriously?

I guess your definition differs from most.

$20k for IR!? Holy buckets, Batman!

Find a good CFII (doesn't matter which school - the CFII is what is important here) that isn't motivated by how many hours they log on your dime and you can knock it out quickly. If you're flying 3 times per week, you will retain muscle memory easily and can knock it out quickly.

You're in a college town. You said you have friends in the Professional Pilot program. Find one of them that wants to split time under the hood. Even if their 'professional program' doesn't want them flying under the hood without a CFI (to prevent bad habits), you fly under the hood and let them log time as safety - and you split the cost of the rental. That'll help build up the hours you need to meet mins. You can do this along the way with training.

OR... As you've already mentioned, get prepped up for one of the 7-day courses over Christmas break and knock it out.

If you've got the means and motivation to get your ratings and certs just for the heck of it, then do it. BUT don't let the motivation to 'get it done quickly' lead you down the path of drastically overpaying ($20k is ridiculous) for a rating if you don't have a paying gig sitting on the other side of the training. $20k should be able to do IR and Comm and probably start putting a dent in a multi or tailwheel along the way. Heck, ATP is advertising zero time to CFII-Multi for $80k - why would you pay 25% of that for ONE rating if you don't have a 'next step to a paycheck' waiting in the wings?

So you consider instruction from a CFI to be the only thing that qualifies as training? You don’t think that practicing with a safety pilot to be training? Really? You don’t think that this practice in furtherance of obtaining the IR to be training? Seriously?

I guess your definition differs from most.

Clippy and I disagree on a lot of things but he’s simply stating the regs, and FAA’s definition.

And second, no... flying with your buddy under the hood isn’t really training.

Instruction is instruction, safety pilot time isn’t. Nothing to be offended about.

FAA allows the choose your own adventure version of the IR, so go for it. But FAA also allows your instructor to withhold their signature when you accidentally build a dangerous bad habit or ten doing it, that need to be fixed.

Remember, practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Instruction changes behavior.

No definitions were harmed in the making of this film. Your safety pilot bro, nor you, are your instructor.

Your instructor had better be working you a lot harder than the typical safety pilot, that’s for sure. :)

Good advice in this thread.

All I have to say: 20K is sheer daylight robbery. I would not give those guys a penny.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Back