Need Cedar Point - Sandusky, OH airport suggestions

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My nephew is performing in the shows at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH this summer, so we're looking at heading up there for a family trip in July. We will need to be able to pick up a rental car at the airport.

Any suggestions?

Cleveland. Not really joking because of the rental car part. That or Toledo - and expect to pay over 100 a day for an economy.

PCW is the closest- they claim to have rental cars (never rented one there myself), and have had a lot of twins and turbines on the ramp when I've been there.

I was hoping to fly to cedar point last summer, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons. My plan was PCW. Their website lists a local car dealer that apparently rents cars and only looks a little shady.
https://portclintonairport.com/ground-transportation
The "tin goose" restaurant there gets good reviews, and I think there's an aviation museum as well.

The "jet express" ferry runs between port Clinton, put in bay, Kelleys Island (both of which have airports and might be worth visiting on their own), and cedar point. I remember thinking it was pretty expensive, but would be a fun option.

ETA: https://www.jet-express.com/ $35 round trip; not that bad.

PCW is the closest- they claim to have rental cars (never rented one there myself), and have had a lot of twins and turbines on the ramp when I've been there.

Couldn't find anything close on Enterprise except for Toledo or Cleveland. Maybe a local mom and pop.

I was hoping to fly to cedar point last summer, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons. My plan was PCW. Their website lists a local car dealer that apparently rents cars and only looks a little shady.
https://portclintonairport.com/ground-transportation
The "tin goose" restaurant there gets good reviews, and I think there's an aviation museum as well.
I've used that local car dealer arrangement at Port Clinton a few times, and it's always worked great. After the Sandusky airport closed a few years ago, PCW has been the next best thing for us to go to Cedar Point.

Agree on the Tin Goose Diner. We always stop here for breakfast before flying home.

- Martin

I was a bit surprised at the lack of an airport large enough to have Enterprise on board, but I guess that area is in the sweet spot between Toledo and Cleveland to not justify another chain rental provider.

I've used that local car dealer arrangement at Port Clinton a few times, and it's always worked great. After the Sandusky airport closed a few years ago, PCW has been the next best thing for us to go to Cedar Point.

Agree on the Tin Goose Diner. We always stop here for breakfast before flying home.

- Martin

OK, so the State Street Cars isn't as sketchy as it looks? I was hoping to cash in some Enterprise or National points to cover it, but if that's the only option, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay cash.

I second or third. Port Clinton. Really nice people ver helpful and friendly. You can definitely get a car. I would not recommend any of the Cleveland airports. They have really nice FBOs but are way over priced and it’s still a pretty good drive to cedar point from Cleveland.

I was just researching this myself the other day. Unfortunately, KSKY was closed and turned into soccer fields and such. It's was right down the road.

KPCW is your best bet now. Still a pretty short jaunt from there.

I was looking at it, and was wondering if they charge for bicycle parking. I'd just fly into Hinde and ride over.

I have not, but definitely worth looking into. Thanks!
Another tool in the bag.

Might have to fiddle with dates to get availability to show on the website, though, if you aren't in a major metro area.

Also, don't forget Uber and Lyft. Probably a bargain to get chauffeured around these days vs. renting!

Uber and Lyft seemed to have changed as well. We flew into our second airport “home” three weekends straight (KECP in Panama City Beach) and then we’re told on both apps that no cars are available (on a Thursday afternoon). I have zero political opinion on this, but the consensus at the FBO is that many are parking their cars and collecting Covid enhanced unemployment instead.

Gonna look at turo!

My b-i-l used Turo when we met up with him in FL this past March. He seemed to have a good experience with it, so may have to give it a try.

You need reservations to enter Cedar Point this year. I would splurge on the fast lane pass if they are available the day you visit. Lyft is nonexistent (I wish or I wouldn't have to pick my wife up at the bar from girls nights), but there are plenty of taxi services. There is an Enterprise in downtown Sandusky. Best bet would be to call them and see if they drop off at Port Clinton.

No need for reservations at Cedar Point starting July 1. They announced the change yesterday afternoon.

Back