Need assistance backup up XP files

Weird. I just found out about Windows Home Server yesterday, and fell in love with the idea. I should have known that there would already be a POA discussion on the topic. This board is always a step ahead of me!

I agree that it sounds like the best thing MS has come up with in a long time. Microsoft software that is efficient with system resources--unbelievable.

I've had a RAID5 array in my desktop PC for a few years now, but I know it's not a truly redundant data backup since everything is in the same box with the same power source. For a long time I've wanted to separate my RAID5 headaches from my normal desktop PC woes, and I think Windows Home Server seems like a good answer.

Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but I have a few questions in mind that I haven't yet looked into:

Do the Linux server offerings offer the same level of file backup capability for Windows clients?

For FTP and web hosting, do I need a commercial VPN router? Or, do you use the server machine as the router (I played with Smoothwall for a while for that purpose.)? Or, do you put the server in DMZ on a standard home router? With any of the above, what security concerns should I have with both WHS and Linux?

Should you install antivirus software on the WHS machine?

Happy New Year!

Back