Need Android tablet recommendation

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
VFR Pilot here (~100 hours), typically flying 172SP or 172N models that are equipped with KLN94 or KLN89. Occasionally I fly the Skycatcher 162 equipped with G300. For local, short flights I don't typically find the need to use much of that equipment for navigation as the local sectionals are good enough to get around... though I usually still take a moment to punch in the navigation points. For longer cross countries, I like to do paper flight planning like in my student cross country stage as it helps me mentally prepare for the flight. I intend to continue that practice but have been thinking about getting a tablet and installing an aviation app for the moving map feature, along with the ability to readily call up airport communications info by just tapping the moving map.

I want to keep the costs low for now. Since I have no immediate plans to pursue IR, and not a huge fan of Apple products, I've narrowed it down to some kind of Android tablet running Avare based on reading some threads on this forum. I'm based out of Houston and would likely only download maps for 2-3 states at a time, maximum. My longest cross country in near future won't be much more than 2-3 hours.

I'm thinking of going with the Nexus 7 (2013) recommended on here, paired with Avare (free), and Amazon is currently selling the 16GB versions of these for $150. Is that the most cost effective option, without compromising reliability? I have a couple of 32gb microSD cards that I can use to expand storage if needed. I've read that I would need an external (WAAS?) GPS unit to improve the GPS signal accuracy/reliability, and I've seen the XGPS170 recommended for this (also because it adds the ADSB info), but thats pretty pricey right now at $500 or so. But the XGPS150 seems to be pretty affordable at around $100 for used. Is that a good introductory pairing on the cheap? Are there others on par with this that I should consider for my short term needs?

VFR Pilot here (~100 hours), typically flying 172SP or 172N models that are equipped with KLN94 or KLN89. Occasionally I fly the Skycatcher 162 equipped with G300. For local, short flights I don't typically find the need to use much of that equipment for navigation as the local sectionals are good enough to get around... though I usually still take a moment to punch in the navigation points. For longer cross countries, I like to do paper flight planning like in my student cross country stage as it helps me mentally prepare for the flight. I intend to continue that practice but have been thinking about getting a tablet and installing an aviation app for the moving map feature, along with the ability to readily call up airport communications info by just tapping the moving map.

I want to keep the costs low for now. Since I have no immediate plans to pursue IR, and not a huge fan of Apple products, I've narrowed it down to some kind of Android tablet running Avare based on reading some threads on this forum. I'm based out of Houston and would likely only download maps for 2-3 states at a time, maximum. My longest cross country in near future won't be much more than 2-3 hours.

I'm thinking of going with the Nexus 7 (2013) recommended on here, paired with Avare (free), and Amazon is currently selling the 16GB versions of these for $150. Is that the most cost effective option, without compromising reliability? I have a couple of 32gb microSD cards that I can use to expand storage if needed. I've read that I would need an external (WAAS?) GPS unit to improve the GPS signal accuracy/reliability, and I've seen the XGPS170 recommended for this (also because it adds the ADSB info), but thats pretty pricey right now at $500 or so. But the XGPS150 seems to be pretty affordable at around $100 for used. Is that a good introductory pairing on the cheap? Are there others on par with this that I should consider for my short term needs?

As I mentioned in another thread here, the N7 2013 internal built-in GPS is just fine in my experience. What you can do is buy that first, try it in the aircraft you fly (and mount you prefer), and only then decide if you need an external GPS. If you decide you need ADSB, then the GDL-39 (with Garmin Pilot software) has a GPS in addition to the weather and traffic info.
Note that another PoA'er had problems with the built-in GPS (in a helicopter), so my experience is apparently not universal.

Anybody care to offer PIREPs on Android tablets' ability to run GP and the downloaded data from the SD card? As of late I've hit a few bait n switch situations where these devices don't allow the user to move apps into the SD card nor the data, rendering the expandable memory as false advertising, without 'rooting' shenanigans.

The other one is these devices have formatted memory capacity that is noticeably lower than the advertised capacity. Is a 16GB (probably 12gb in usable capacity) tablet sufficient to run these EFBs in practice?

I used a Nexus 7 (2013) as my EFB backup to my iPad for awhile. My iPad had Foreflight and my Nexus 7 had Garmin Pilot. The Nexus ran the Garmin Pilot app with no problem, but it was just a little bit slow. Not so slow that it would be an issue while referring to it while flying, but the Garmin Pilot app was pushing the limits of the Nexus. If you're looking for an EFB, on the cheap, it would be a good option. I'm assuming you'll be buying the Nexus 7 with wifi only...so you'll need an external GPS. There are a few good and relatively cheap options. The Dual XGPS150 or the Bad Elf. Both are good units and run about $100-$150.

Remember, you can download a free 30-day trial of Garmin Pilot for the android tablet...

Is a 16GB (probably 12gb in usable capacity) tablet sufficient to run these EFBs in practice?
Yes, it will work fine. Just don't try and download every sectional, every IFR low plate, etc, in the US...you'll probably run a bit short on space...

Anybody care to offer PIREPs on Android tablets' ability to run GP and the downloaded data from the SD card? As of late I've hit a few bait n switch situations where these devices don't allow the user to move apps into the SD card nor the data, rendering the expandable memory as false advertising, without 'rooting' shenanigans.

The other one is these devices have formatted memory capacity that is noticeably lower than the advertised capacity. Is a 16GB (probably 12gb in usable capacity) tablet sufficient to run these EFBs in practice?

I use the N7 2013 which has no SD, but the internal memory is more than enough for GP. I have two units, one 32GB and one 16GB, and the smaller one runs GP just fine, covering my local third of the country (VFR/IFR, including hi-enroutes) and still leaving about 50% free.
Regarding SD support by GP, I believe the latest version supports SD storage for maps, terrain, safe taxi, etc., while still using the built-in memory for caching and other temporary storage.

I used a Nexus 7 (2013) as my EFB backup to my iPad for awhile. My iPad had Foreflight and my Nexus 7 had Garmin Pilot. The Nexus ran the Garmin Pilot app with no problem, but it was just a little bit slow. Not so slow that it would be an issue while referring to it while flying, but the Garmin Pilot app was pushing the limits of the Nexus. If you're looking for an EFB, on the cheap, it would be a good option. I'm assuming you'll be buying the Nexus 7 with wifi only...so you'll need an external GPS. There are a few good and relatively cheap options. The Dual XGPS150 or the Bad Elf. Both are good units and run about $100-$150.

Remember, you can download a free 30-day trial of Garmin Pilot for the android tablet...

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have no problem at all receiving good GPS signal on my two N7 2013 (wifi only) units (mounted one per yoke). I normally use the GDL-39 to feed them, but have run both units without it and the GPS works fine.

Good to know. For now, I was planning to just use Avare ... after watching a couple of youtube videos, seems like it has what I need (for now). I can do the GP trial as well; I just don't fly nearly enough to want to spend $ on a paid app if a free one gives me the functionality I need.

I use the Nexus 7 (2013) with Avare for VFR flight and I have used it for IFR dual instruction. If I was buying now I would get the Nexus 9, I kinda wish I had a larger screen for approach plates.

I bought a Nexus 7 on Ebay for $70 not long ago, it is as good as new. The Fltplan Android app works really well on it, and certainly would be fine for VFR work.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have no problem at all receiving good GPS signal on my two N7 2013 (wifi only) units (mounted one per yoke). I normally use the GDL-39 to feed them, but have run both units without it and the GPS works fine.

I concur. I have an N7 2013 and the internal GPS is great. I use it to run iFlyGPS.

Someone else mentioned getting a 9" tablet for better plate readability. I may have to look into that...the 7" screen is crystal-clear, but my eyes are starting to have trouble reading fine text like that under certain lighting conditions and I find myself zooming in on the plate and then sliding it around to read it. A larger screen would help, but would be a tradeoff in how much space it takes up on the yoke and whether it might block part of the panel.

The N7 was discontinued when the N9 was released (+$$$).

Get them while you can - they are probably the best bang for your buck, by far.

The N7 was discontinued when the N9 was released (+$$$).

Get them while you can - they are probably the best bang for your buck, by far.

Agree.

I love my Nexus 7 (pre-2013, OS rolled back to 4.4.4 for performance).
32GB - only using 9GB.

Running Naviator. Prefer it to Avare, iFly and (ugh) FltPlan.

I have an external GPS but only use it occasionally; the in-built GPS has worked just fine. May consume a bit more battery than external, but no problem plugged in to ship's power.

I used the Nexus 2013 for a year and liked it with GP, Avare, and Fltplan.go. During the winter my wife wanted a tablet and BB had the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 on sale for $200. Ordered one but they couldn't find the color I ordered and gave me $50 of to take a new in box but different color.

I Like the slightly larger screen much better than my Nexus. My wife decided she didn't like tablets and now the Samsung is my primary flight tablet.

I see BB has them at $200 again.

Last edited:
For slightly larger and slightly more expensive, I've been completely satisfied with my Nexus 9 after the last round of software updates.

I'm about halfway through my IFR training and it's probably time to think about what I'll be using in the future. I've been getting by so far with printing out paper versions of approach charts and putting them on my kneeboard. I could combine that with a low IFR enroute chart and do ok but.... my instructor uses Foreflight on an ipad and it's mighty slick. Of course he just holds it in his lap and glances at it occasionally. I'm not sure I want to even get into the EFB game at this point. As a 48 year old scraping by w/o reading glasses, the zoom in/out feature on a tablet would be handy.

Thoughts?

A cheap android+avare might be a way to dip my toes in the EFB waters w/o going all in.

I use the Nexus 7 (2013) with Avare for VFR flight and I have used it for IFR dual instruction. If I was buying now I would get the Nexus 9, I kinda wish I had a larger screen for approach plates.

A 10 inch was definitely to big for the planes I fly. N7 and Avare are perfect. N7 locks on GPS instantly.

If you go the Avare route (which I like very much), check into the $20 ADS-B receiver hack option:

http://apps4av.com/2014/07/30/10-adsb-receiver-for-avare/
http://hiz.ch/index.php/home/adsb-receiver

I think it needs to be clarified that this cheap DIY option (which I have had running at home for a couple of years now) is not "ADS-B" in its normal meaning, and does not provide in-flight weather (FIS-B ), nor traffic reports (TIS-B ) from the ground stations.
In fact, you'd get nothing whatsoever from the ground stations, AFAIK.
All you get is direct air-to-air traffic from some nearby airliners, since the typical receiving frequency is 1090 MHz, which is not the UAT channel that many smaller GA aircraft are likely to use.
So this will give you no in-flight weather, and even more limited traffic information than a typical no-OUT equipped aircraft with Stratus or GDL-39.

Other benefit for me of the Nexus 7 2013 is that it fits on my baron yoke mount in an ipad mini holder. I was surprised, but very happy. :)

Nexus7 2013? Uh, you guys do know that this is 2015, right?

Get an Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C). Asus made the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7, so it's sort of what the Nexus 7 would have become if Google hadn't switched to HTC. Plus, it has the microSD card slot that the Nexus lacks.

Nexus7 2013? Uh, you guys do know that this is 2015, right?

Get an Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C). Asus made the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7, so it's sort of what the Nexus 7 would have become if Google hadn't switched to HTC. Plus, it has the microSD card slot that the Nexus lacks.

The uSD slot is nice, but not really needed, at least not for Garmin Pilot on the 16GB model.
There are some of us, myself included, who think the 7" size is a perfect sweet spot, esp. for a yoke mount, and the N7 "2013" has that and is a great unit.
Also, I put "2013" in quotes because I believe it may not truly be dead. I just bought a new one a few months ago, and it appears slightly different from the original 2013 model (externally it can be distinguished by the EC marking under the ASUS logo), and even seems a bit more reliable (although the new one is 16GB vs. 32 for the older).
Amazon is happy to sell new ones at $150 apiece, so I think it's quite a bargain for a terrific tablet.

The uSD slot is nice, but not really needed, at least not for Garmin Pilot on the 16GB model.
There are some of us, myself included, who think the 7" size is a perfect sweet spot, esp. for a yoke mount, and the N7 "2013" has that and is a great unit.
Also, I put "2013" in quotes because I believe it may not truly be dead. I just bought a new one a few months ago, and it appears slightly different from the original 2013 model (externally it can be distinguished by the EC marking under the ASUS logo), and even seems a bit more reliable (although the new one is 16GB vs. 32 for the older).
Amazon is happy to sell new ones at $150 apiece, so I think it's quite a bargain for a terrific tablet.

The ZenPad S 8.0 is about the same height, 20mm (3/4inch) wider and a whole lot thinner than the Nexus7 2013. But if that extra 0.75inch width is a deal killer, so be it. The ZenPad is only $50 more but it has more pixels and a modern day CPU with double the RAM so in theory it should be more future proof.

BTW, what would have been the Nexus7 2014 if Google hadn't switched to HTC is probably the Asus MemoPad 7 (ME572C). They were selling for around $150 a few months ago, but I think it was dropped in favor of the ZenPad line. You might still be able to find one if you look diligently, though.

The ZenPad S 8.0 is about the same height, 20mm (3/4inch) wider and a whole lot thinner than the Nexus7 2013. But if that extra 0.75inch width is a deal killer, so be it. The ZenPad is only $50 more but it has more pixels and a modern day CPU with double the RAM so in theory it should be more future proof.

BTW, what would have been the Nexus7 2014 if Google hadn't switched to HTC is probably the Asus MemoPad 7 (ME572C). They were selling for around $150 a few months ago, but I think it was dropped in favor of the ZenPad line. You might still be able to find one if you look diligently, though.

With my N7 tablet mounted on the yoke, I can read all my panel instruments without having to move, but just barely. If you add even a 1/16" to each side, it will definitely impinge on some instruments, since it's already intruding very slightly. So for me personally every 1/16" does count from the panel obscuration perspective, and the N7 form factor is just marginally acceptable. But of course if you don't yoke-mount the tablet or you have wider-set eyes, or a different instrument layout in your plane, or just don't mind moving your head a bit to see some instruments, or just don't care, I can understand choosing a larger size.
Regarding thickness, the N7 is 8.65mm (around 1/3"), thinner than my finger tip. I don't see any advantage in an even thinner device.
As for pixels, the N7 display seems super sharp and the colors crispy. I don't see any advantage in increasing screen resolution, since my eyes won't perceive the benefit.
Again, not faulting anyone preferring something else, but for me the N7 2013 at $150 is a winner.

Have played with the N7 and Avare and it works great. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and use Avare on that and it works very well too.

Back