Need airport idea nearish atlanta

Pjsmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
pjsmith
Got this crazy idea to fly down to the keys for new years. Finally found a place to stay.....now I need to get there.

If I fly myself, I'll need to break it up and stay overnight near Atlanta. Can anyone give me a heads up on the best GA airport to fly into that has close access to a hotel (just something clean and decent, it'll be a crash pad)

Weather permitting, I'm thinking of flying it starting on the 29th.

Surely appreciate any tips my southern pilot friends can give!

p

Got this crazy idea to fly down to the keys for new years. Finally found a place to stay.....now I need to get there.

If I fly myself, I'll need to break it up and stay overnight near Atlanta. Can anyone give me a heads up on the best GA airport to fly into that has close access to a hotel (just something clean and decent, it'll be a crash pad)

Weather permitting, I'm thinking of flying it starting on the 29th.

Surely appreciate any tips my southern pilot friends can give!

p
To/from the Keys, we usually stop at Athens/Ben Epps (KAHN), but it's only been for fuel, since we push on through. You'd have to call the airport to find out about nearby accomodations (706-613-3420). According to AirNav, there are a bunch of places within 5 miles.

This is how I was going to fly to Sarasota this month until other factors made me take commercial. Not WX or anything just that I had to commute a lot between here and Florida. Three trips so far and I will take another next week. So instead of flying myself I went AA. But since you and I fly out of the same airport you might like to see what I had decided on.

Last edited:
I'm based at RYY, a towered GA airport on the NorthWest side of Atlanta.
There are a number of hotels in the area.
Suggest you call Preferred Jet (770-422-2345) and they can arrange a car and possibly the room.
From there, you can either go around Atl Class B or (traffic permitting) over the top of Atl down past Albany and the Florida West Coast to the Keys.

Have a great trip!!

If you want to come down the east side of Atlanta and stop at 9A1 I'd be glad to meet you and get you to/from a motel. There are a couple of reasonable ones just a few miles from the airport. My office is only a couple of miles from the airport as well so it would be simple to do this. PM me if interested.

If you're coming down the east side of Atlanta, THE place to get fuel is Jackson County (19A). $2.99! Can't beat it with a stick.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be much else around there.

I drive by a Microtel Inn about 2 miles away from my home base (LZU). Gas is pricey, though, if you need it.

-Rich

BTW on a related topic. We are thinking of renting a house near Savannah this summer for vacation. What is a good airport near there to park at? Looking a the charts does not show a lot of alternative to KSAV.

Back