Need advice...

U

Unregistered

I'm 22 and just graduated a 4 year college. My ultimate goal is to become a professional pilot, whether it be airline, corporate, or military. In a decision of desperation, I gave up a management job ($12.50 per hour) in the hospitality business to take a position as a Line Service Tech ($10.50 per hour). My logic was that it would be good to see the Ops side of the airline and GA business but now I am thinking that I might end up regretting it. The income, however, will be about the same because of the overtime I will accrue working the night shifts. I currently have my private and am working on my instrument (about 100 hours TT). I am living at home and my only expense is a $300 per month car payment. I have about 4-5K set aside for flight training, and am trying to fly about once every 7-10 days. Is it realistic for me to have my CFI within the next 1-2 years? I could go to an ATP type school and get it all over with but debt concerns me. Should I stick it out and just fly when I can? Any advice would be appreciated.

What is your degree in? You are going to get a lot of people advising you to pursue that career field and fly exclusively for a hobby. After all, why did you spend all that time and money on college. That is probably sound advice, but does not answer your question. My best advice is to fly for the military. Don't be picky. Try Air Force, Navy, Army Helicopters, whatever. Getting paid well while training and accruing hours can't be beat.

If you only fly once a week it will be hard to get your CFI unless you are flying for 3 hours every time you do. A 4 year degree is not a waste as most high paying airline jobs require a 4 year degree in something.

Like Direct said, if you can get in the military that is the best way to go. You get quality flying time, good pay, great benefits, and early retirement. When you retire you will still be young enough to get a civilian pilot job and make great money. The hard part is getting the flying job in the military...

Avoid the debt.

Keep working the current job gaining all of the overtime pay you can get and they are willing to pay you. Save up $8,000 and get started on the primary training, while working to fill up the additional $2,000 or so needed to finish.

Keep working the current job gaining all of the overtime pay you can get and they are willing to pay you. Fly as much as and as often as you can afford to gain the experience you want plus the required Cross Country Flying time for the instrument ticket. Then save up $7000-ish and begin the instrument training.

Build connections with area pilots and see if you can't barter personal time or assistance with projects for loggable flight time.

Rinse and repeat for commercial and your CFI/CFI-I, MEL, and MEI credentials.

It's totally do-able without going into debt. It might take a bit longer, but with hard work, you can still enjoy yourself and get there.

Plus, working the line can present opportunities you might not hear about elsewhere. One of our local rampers got an opportunity to build King Air time last year and took full advantage of that. Just recently, he uncovered and got a slot to fly a Citation business jet and the bonus of that company sending him to school for his type rating and them paying for it.

Frequently, the hard work and building a good network within business GA will pay off. Yeah, it can take a bit longer, but you're young, debt free (stay that way) and have your entire life ahead of you. So be patient and work hard.

One small thing you can do is start working on FOI on your own. Get that out of the way. If it looks like you can't get your CFI in two years after, get a ground school instructor's rating to stop the clock.

One small thing you can do is start working on FOI on your own. Get that out of the way. If it looks like you can't get your CFI in two years after, get a ground school instructor's rating to stop the clock.

Not sure I would put any effort into the FOI until you need it. You can study for and pass the written in no time at all. I started studying the night before I took it.

I might add: I have been guaranteed a CFI job with my current flight school.

If you are 22 with a 4 yr degree it's all very doable. One thing that separates those that do from those that dream is MOTIVATION. One has to be willing to make things happen, not just wait at home for that letter or phone call.

One of the military flight programs would be a great option, right now they are contracting somewhat, I'd look but have alternative plans.

If you get a toehold with a CFI job the hours & experience gained can get you out of the blocks.

Keep a clean record, one DUI or similar conviction will about sink you.

You might consider halving that car payment, too.

Or eliminate it altogether by replacing the vehicle with something older, well maintained, and paid for.

That additional $3600 per year can help speed things up.

Not sure I would put any effort into the FOI until you need it. You can study for and pass the written in no time at all. I started studying the night before I took it.

FOI written + AGI written = AGI and no FOI expiration. Get the FOI done and out of the way. The AGI is the same as the commercial written (I think). To build time, get someone else that wants to split time, get into a cheap 152 and pay 40 bucks an hour. If you get into a 152 with an instructor that wants to build time, then you can both log it. 40/hr x 100 hours = $4,000 which is what you have saved right now. Burn a hole in the sky and take your commercial written and flight instructor at the same time. Take your AGI and your written tests and get your flight instructor rating after. Remember to re-study the FOI.

Now, that being said, enjoy your time on the line. I am going to get my first pilot gig working for a company BECAUSE I worked their line this past summer and a few summers ago. Being a known quantity, one that shows up on time, gets the job done, and no customer complaints, is worth more than some Joe Schmoe that walks in off the street that meets the minimums.

Take the Line Service job. Surround yourself with aviation, meet people at the airport, network, be friendly to everyone, find people with airplanes and exchange washing their planes for flight time.

Go back to the restaurant, they'll all be $15 an hour jobs soon if Obama has his way . . .

I'm 22 and just graduated a 4 year college. My ultimate goal is to become a professional pilot, whether it be airline, corporate, or military. In a decision of desperation, I gave up a management job ($12.50 per hour) in the hospitality business to take a position as a Line Service Tech ($10.50 per hour). My logic was that it would be good to see the Ops side of the airline and GA business but now I am thinking that I might end up regretting it. The income, however, will be about the same because of the overtime I will accrue working the night shifts. I currently have my private and am working on my instrument (about 100 hours TT). I am living at home and my only expense is a $300 per month car payment. I have about 4-5K set aside for flight training, and am trying to fly about once every 7-10 days. Is it realistic for me to have my CFI within the next 1-2 years? I could go to an ATP type school and get it all over with but debt concerns me. Should I stick it out and just fly when I can? Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have a degree in aviation, music, art, language or psychology: spend your flight training cash on law school.

If you have a degree in business or a hard science: get a good job and spend your flight training cash on grad school. You'll make it back, trust me.

In either case, you stand to have a decent income in 2-3 years and then you can just buy your own plane when you settle into your post-grad career. It really is as simple as that.

I speak from personal expierence. I did freight hauling and fire fighting for several years. Got tons of excellent expierence doing it and wouldn't change a thing if I got the chance to do it all over again. That said, it's much more satisfying to pull my own plane out of my hangar and fly on my schedule than it ever was flying commercially.

My advice: get a job, go to grad school, buy a nice plane, fly whenever and where ever you like.

Good luck.

You're good. The line service job will open doors, unless you are a douchenozzle. Avoid debt, keep flying, don't drink in bars you can't afford that. Avoid wimmin at least anything complicated with wimmin you definitely can't afford that, and continue on your path.

Is this line service for an FBO or an airline? I know guys that thought to do that for airlines, but it doesn't seem to pan out. However the guys at FBOs, sometimes times they get to skip the CFI deal even because once they have their multi commercial and have met all the operators and are a know and pleasant person, they can stick you in the right seat when the guy who was supposed to be there isn't; this is not infrequent. I know lots of BA pilots who got their foot in ramping at a busy FBO.

I concur with Henning. Being a line rat will ultimately be much more enjoyable each day compared to any hospitality job. You'll make great connections, and those lead to opportunities to fly. You might try to earn extra money cleaning planes or similar working directly for owners. Stay out of debt so you can ultimately "afford" to work an aviation job for low pay.

If you can meet the requirements and have the desire to serve, then I'd strongly consider going the military route. Don't forget trying a local Air National Guard unit as an option too. You can sign-up for full time service with them too, and go to flight school. I have no idea how difficult it might be in the current times, though, and with the UAV rage. All forces are contracting currently and there may not be much hiring going on right now. You can't beat the training, though, and you'll end up with ratings, a better paycheck while doing it, and no debt compared to coming up through the civilian side.

I might add: I have been guaranteed a CFI job with my current flight school.

FWIW, there are no guarantees in the aviation business. FBOs and flight schools open, close, or change hands constantly. If the county doesn't renew their contract, or the owner sells, you may not still have a job waiting. Not saying that to be disheartening, just saying the truth about the industry. But if instructing is what you want to do, go for it.

Ok so you have a 4 year degree and are 22. Working the line at an airport, have your PPL. Have some pennies saved up for advanced flight training. And would like to stay in the aviation business. :lol: :lol:

You could get your commercial ticket. And continue to work the line. You might pick up a few ferry flights for an extra dollar or two, and build some time. Next mabe work on the multi. That would open another door for the odd ferry flight. All the while working full time on the line. Then when you get the multi, you can work on the IR. I know it seems backward, but stop and think about it for a minute. Depending on where you are, If you get a ferry flight, it probably isn't even an IFR capable airplane anyway.
Oh BTW a tailwheel endorsement with about 100 hrs tailwheel time, would be a big plus here. Either way, just continue to add ratings, and fly, while working the line, and networking. And dump the car payment, get something that's paid for. Or you could take your OT and pay down the debt in a hurry, if you want to keep the car you have. You have plenty of time.
If you decide to join the service, you may or may not be able to get into flight school. They'll put you where they want you, but a degree going in, is a good step, especially if there's ROTC involved. But if you go in now, and do 20 years, you can retire with a pension (based on your grade in rank) at age 42. (food for thought) 42 is not "old" by any wild stretch of the imagination.

No matter what you decide, or what you do, just remember you have a goal, and do what it takes to achieve that goal as soon as possible. But be certian that you have fun doing it. "cause if it ain't fun, it ain't worth doin'".

I don't think I noticed your mention of where you are, That has a bearing on what your course of action might be.

Oh, BTW
<------This guy did what you want to do, back in 1930 during the deepest part of the depression, and lived in the dustbowl when he did it.

You're good. The line service job will open doors, unless you are a douchenozzle. Avoid debt, keep flying, don't drink in bars you can't afford that. Avoid wimmin at least anything complicated with wimmin you definitely can't afford that, and continue on your path.

Just drink in the right bars, some of the best networking is done over drinks :yes:

Back when I had thoughts of doing flying for a living I noted a lot of advice from a lot of people.

You know which one held true and not a single one of the others would have in my circumstances if I had continued back then?

The one sentence from the guy who's flying 787s now:

"Fly your ass off."

Not a single other piece of advice given would have worked. And most advice on these types of threads here are almost identical down to the word, 23 years later.

:)

You won't find better connections than working line service (unless you're at an airline, but it doesn't sound like you are). Be friendly, hospitable, and get to know your regulars by name. That is how you make connections. I've got stacks of business cards from various pilots/airplanes/companies from working at FBOs. Some are more legit than others. And once you get your CFI and your CFII it will be a lot easier to drum up clients "Hey I need an IPC.. you're a CFII right?"

Even before my first day in the line service job, someone asked my boss about what ratings and hours I had because they were looking for someone to hire. So far nothing I qualify for but a few good leads!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back