Need a photo with usage rights

Domenick

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Domenick
I need help finding a photo for a book cover, and I can't seem to find the right one on stock photo sites.

What I need is a simple photo from inside the cockpit of a side-by-side seating bush-ish plane. It needs to include some of the panel for easy recognition as a cockpit view.

My vision for the cover is an aerial view of a huge container ship through a bush-ish plane windscreen. I have many overhead photos of container ships and just need the cockpit view.

The photo could be from the pilot's point of view or behind the pilot's POV or from between the seats or even have the back of heads in view.

Digital photo magic will mask out the windscreen view and insert the ship photo.

I'd take the cockpit photo myself, but my Piper Warrior is definitely not bush-ish.

What's outside the plane is not important though the blander the better. The photo does not even need to be from the air. The higher the resolution the better--down sampling is easy. Likewise the more the photo encompasses the better--cropping is easy.

I would need a statement giving permission to the use the image. It is small compensation, but the photographer would get a title page photo credit, a thank you in the acknowledgments, and a free copy of the entire Linc Malloy series of five ebooks:
"Cockpit cover image by <name>."
"Thank you to <name> of ThePilotsPlace.com for generously supplying the cockpit cover image."
ThePilotsPlace.com would be a link.

You can contact me at: https://DomenickVenezia.com/contact/

Thanks.

Last edited:
And that's a pretty specific and somewhat actually technically challenging composition!

The idea is to mask the windscreen view and insert the ship, so it needs to include some of the panel for easy recognition as a cockpit.

You want two pictures to combine with photoshop? One of a container ship and one from the inside of a cockpit?
I would think that one picture would be hard to do - either you are nose way down or the ship is far away. A picture out the side would be a lot easier. But I could be wrong. It happened once before.

Last edited:
Obviously, my explanation fell rather short. I apologize. The OP has been edited.

You want two pictures to combine with photoshop? One of a container ship and one from the inside of a cockpit?...

I only need a photo from the inside of the cockpit. I have plenty of overhead photos of container ships. Digital photo manipulation will combine the photos. Every cover on my books is a composite of at least two individual photos. Thanks.

I'd take the cockpit photo myself, but my Piper Warrior is definitely not bush-ish.
If I'm reading it correctly, you're looking for an over the shoulder shot of a pilot that shows the view over the nose and part of the upper portion of the panel. What would make the plane in a shot like that look 'bush-ish'? Is it just the high wing vs low wing or are you thinking older steam gauges and minimal older radios if any? Or is there something else you're keying in on? Seems like you'd be able to frame a shot that wouldn't give any clue to wing placement.

If I'm reading it correctly, you're looking for an over the shoulder shot of a pilot that shows the view over the nose and part of the upper portion of the panel. What would make the plane in a shot like that look 'bush-ish'? Is it just the high wing vs low wing or are you thinking older steam gauges and minimal older radios if any? Or is there something else you're keying in on? Seems like you'd be able to frame a shot that wouldn't give any clue to wing placement.
You've pretty much got it. Mostly steam gauges. Many "bush-ish" planes have V-braces. Just Aircraft gave me permission to use their SuperSTOL in the book, but didn't have a cockpit photo. The photo does not have to be perfectly accurate. What I've found on stock photo sites are mostly airliners or updated cockpits in expensive GA aircraft.

As an aside, the different level of cooperation/favors granted by various aviation entities is interesting. One up and coming VLPJ manufacturer refused to give permission to use their name, but did supply information and photos on the door mechanism. Bode Aviation at Double Eagle II airport (KAEG) outside Albuquerque sent me a gallery of photos of the inside of their FBO so I could accurately depict the interior details. A dive guide in Mexico gave me permission to use one of the photos on his website for a cover. He even supplied the higher-res original. In the end I didn't use it, but he still got his book.

You've pretty much got it. Mostly steam gauges. Many "bush-ish" planes have V-braces.
If you're going to photoshop the ship, why not photoshop the V-braces too? Who's going to know?

Beyond that, if you're looking for a side by side bush plane with V-braces, you're looking for a Maule or C185 or possibly a Rans or a Kitfox. Youtube has a bunch of Rans and Kitfox guys who love to put up videos of themselves landing on all kinds of things that aren't airports. Since those guys love hanging cameras all over their planes, I'd bet one or two of them probably has the shot you're looking for on their hard drive somewhere. Couldn't hurt to message them and ask.

Might ping Trent Palmer, as he does lots of videos from his Kitfox and is a drone guy for video production work.

Are you looking for something like this.??

maxresdefault.jpg

Not my picture so I can't give permission to use it. In fact I belive it is not a real picture, but a CGI.

Great ideas for contacts, and yes, the above image is a good example. Thanks.

You have my permission to use this video or any stills from it. Takeoff in Cessna 185 floatplane, Lake Cushman Aug 2000.

8831ECBD-631D-4380-A668-F2A16EA14146.jpeg
you have my express written permission, as the commissioner, to use this photo

Back