Need a medical to solo?

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Does a Student pilot need a medical to solo under the new rules / student pilot plastic certificate?

Unless the student pilot is training for a certificate that does not require a medical.

Basic med doesn't cover a student until they have had a medical.

Thanks very much for the quick replies. What is the reference?

Thanks very much for the quick replies. What is the reference?

c) Medical certificate.

(1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate.

(2) A person is not required to meet the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section if that person—

(i) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a pilot certificate with a glider category rating, a balloon class rating, or glider or balloon privileges;

(ii) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a sport pilot certificate with other than glider or balloon privileges and holds a U.S. driver’s license;

(iii) Is exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking a pilot certificate with a weight-shift-control aircraft category rating or a powered parachute category rating and holds a U.S. driver’s license;

I think a student who has had a medical in the past 10 years, who maybe put off their for a while, could then resume under basic med.

I think a student who has had a medical in the past 10 years, who maybe put off their for a while, could then resume under basic med.

Yes, that exception is farther down, I didn’t include it because I figured it probably didn’t apply to the student from the original post. Here it is.

xiii) Is exercising the privileges of a student, recreational or private pilot certificate for operations conducted under the conditions and limitations set forth in §61.113(i) and holds a U.S. driver’s license;

Back