Need a KX155 display!

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I learned a lesson today.. I have had a digit flicker sometimes on my KX155 nav/com for a year or so now.. usually I just give it a little tap and it comes back on.. well did it today and gave it a good tap and the entire display went off! doh! I can see a faint dark line on one side and I think I busted the gas display..

Does anyone have one or know where I can buy a display at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
1991025f617bf63e098ba38293bdbd19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you appear to have the on/off switch in the off position...Just stating the obvious unless it just turned down.

Next up that lens is glued in place with the gas display behind it a little bit and not touching the lens. 4 screws and the front cover pops off. remove and re seat the display and see what happens. If it comes back on the right side there is a rheostat that can adjust the brightness. turn it clockwise and see what you got.

Unless you hit is stupid hard I don't see the display breaking.

Also while you have the display out get a piece of paper and rub on the contacts to clean them up a little to make sure it is good and clean.

Hmm..looking at the lenses they look aftermarket so maybe they were not glued back in and hit the display???

Thanks for the advice but I cleaned the contacts a lot when I was having that digit off and on... usually a light tap would take care of it.. I guess I tapped to hard this time! It actually cracked in two... I really didn't tap it all that hard at all.. Arrrrgh

d70f5dd240fd0a10a18ceadea86bd508.jpg

Oh wow!! Sorry to see that! Check ebay for displays..they are pricey though..:( But cheaper than a radio!

Hope it works out for you! The KX155 is an oldie but goody.

You now need to pay the tuition of life. What's that gonna cost? About the same as a new used one on Barstormers is gonna cost!

I wish I had a junker to play with ... I could probably do an LED or LCD retrofit for a hundred bucks or so if I could find a decent schematic to go along with the junker.

Jim

I finally was able to find a used one!!! Radio will be slid back in this evening and I am hoping it works well! Lesson Learned!

Actually pacific coast avionics had one.. a few of the digits are flickering a little but I think it just needs a good cleaning.. can the "tab contacts" be cleaned with contact cleaner safely? I used a pencil eraser on the display contacts and it helped some already..

Ok so odd thing.. if I shine my flashlight in there they all light up great.. I'm thinking a little brightness adjustment would help.. I cannot find the rheostat.. is it visible with the display on?

Ok I actually found it but it doesn't do anything at all.. so may need to try to clean the tabs somehow

rheostat is on the far right looking at the unit, you can unhinge the top and its a big blue knob.Or on top of it there is a foil sticker, un stick it and stick a screwdriver in it to adjust. Contact cleaner I would say yes but try to keep it off the glass just in case.

Also make sure your photo cell is clean, might be thinking its dark out and dimming it but the bright adjust would still adjust the overall brightness so not sure...hmm...

Also make sure your photo cell is clean, might be thinking its dark out and dimming it but the bright adjust would still adjust the overall brightness so not sure...hmm...

Thanks for the reply. Ya the adjustment doesn't do anything at all.. I will clean the photo cell.. it appears it will be perfectly fine during the day but at night the nav side may flicker a little.. better than a broken display I guess!

If you don't fly a lot at night it shouldn't be a big problem, just have to blast it with a flashlight when you want to read it. Hopefully the cleaned photocell will help. That's strange the rheostat didn't help:(

I just tap on the display when it flickers or acts like it's dark out. :D

I've had 2 King radios this year that needed photocells

a KN53

and a KT76A which only dims the "REPLY" annunciator. On this one at night you can't see the transponder working at all. During the day its dim but visible.

So are the gas discharge displays better than the newer LED type? I am putting one of these in my 140 with a ki209 to finish PPL and do whatever instrument rating stuff I can get away with.

Back