Nectar of the Gods...

Nothing wrong with mixing whiskys either...

1970689_10152161322133673_207479374_n.jpg

Wow, that is wrong on so many levels.

Edit: McCallum 12 (18 if I am splurging) and Glenlevit 18 is also good. I have had JW Blue and it was good. I wouldn't buy a bottle, though.

Last edited:
I don't drink scotch and rarely drink Coke. Mixing the two, though, strikes me as a waste of both. :rolleyes:

Mark

It's free, why not :)

Because a good scotch tastes better without coke (and both of those in the picture are good) and as pointed out above, even the Coke tastes better without the whiskey. If someone gave me a free Bo (airplane reference) I wouldn't land it gear up, just because I could :)

Because a good scotch tastes better without coke (and both of those in the picture are good) and as pointed out above, even the Coke tastes better without the whiskey. If someone gave me a free Bo (airplane reference) I wouldn't land it gear up, just because I could :)

I admit, that pic was a joke...
(I travel with British Airways quite a bit, and their first class lounges have free pour 18yo Glenlivet and JW Blue. So I thought hell, why not...)

You would be surprised though. Some of the VERY peaty scotch whiskys can taste pretty good with just a little bit of added coke. It brings out a very nice tar-like flavor from them. Worth a shot!

I admit, that pic was a joke...
(I travel with British Airways quite a bit, and their first class lounges have free pour 18yo Glenlivet and JW Blue. So I thought hell, why not...)

You would be surprised though. Some of the VERY peaty scotch whiskys can taste pretty good with just a little bit of added coke. It brings out a very nice tar-like flavor from them. Worth a shot!
Knowing that I would chased some BA biz class tix.

Always open to some empirical data - I'll try just a little Talisker and, ugh, Coke. And I'm a Pepsi drinker!

Best way to do some Scotch tasting is to hang around the Duty Free in Heathrow on your way back to the States. They even serve early in the AM.

I only mix Coke with run-of-the-mill swill such as old no.7, Beam, etc...

However, for some Scotches that are not the best, yet still a bit difficult straight, I find that drinking a small sip of Coke before sipping the liquor helps calm that "bite" that is typical of a young, low-end whisky.

I admit to having a Jack and Ginger now and then (I fly mostly Southwest and they definitely don't offer JW Blue), but I wouldn't put anything in a good whiskey. In general, I don't like soda at all (root beer being the exception).

I know folks who think Bud Light is beer. :rolleyes: In the era of all-inclusive diversity all we can do is shrug it off and move on.

Mark

There is a bar that I go to that has $2 pint drafts on Thursdays. This goes for any of the beers that they have on tap. Every time, I see guys order a Bud Light or similar when they could order something much better such as a good IPA. :dunno:

Yeah, I keep a stock of a good variety of quality beers in the fridge and I always had to run out and get some Bud, when my ex father in law was coming over. That's his nickname, too, Bud (I never asked him if it is related to his taste in beer, though).

I'm not a drinker (other than an occasional good beer). But I have a hard time believing I'd enjoy something that has been described (positively, in this thread) as tasting like "a campfire", "tar-like" and "peaty". Just doesn't sound appealing...

Taste, of course, is an individual thing. If you folks enjoy it, drink away. I won't steal it from you...

John

I'm not a drinker (other than an occasional good beer). But I have a hard time believing I'd enjoy something that has been described (positively, in this thread) as tasting like "a campfire", "tar-like" and "peaty". Just doesn't sound appealing...

Taste, of course, is an individual thing. If you folks enjoy it, drink away. I won't steal it from you...

John

Whiskey is definitely an acquired taste, but so is beer. Some of the beer dicriptors are: hoppy, bitter, barley, etc.

An absolutely fantastic Speyside scotch whisky. Accompanied nicely by a Connecticut shade Macanudo Cafe series Prince Phillip.

Glenlevit%20%26%20Macanudo%20Cafe%20%281.1%29.JPG

Last edited:
"The king o' drinks, as I conceive it, Talisker, Isla, or Glenlivet"
-Robert Louis Stevenson-

I tried to get into Scotch whisky a few years back, but I just never could develop a taste for it. Went to Scotland back in 2010, and tried a whole bunch of different ones, old and new. Honestly, if I had to drink some, I'd just go with a good ol' Glenlivet 18.

I'm actually not much of a drinker at all, but I enjoy brewing my own beer. I make about 3-4 five gallon batches per year for the fun of it, and give most of it away to friends and family. I sometimes make apple wine around the holidays.

P.S. I do have a bottle of George Washington's rye whiskey in the cabinet. It's supposedly made using Washington's recipe and is made at his original distillery site at Mt. Vernon. Don't know if it tastes anything like the original, but it's pretty cool that they mill the grain and distill it on the old site. Haven't even opened yet.

Last edited:
A Dalmore anything. King Alexander III is perhaps my favorite. If you haven't acquired a taste for scotch, you just haven't tried enough. And if you EVER base your opinion on bar brands (which are mostly cheap blended BS like JW or Chevas) then you are way off base. You'll find many of the blended are smoky in nature. JW Black not so much. Famous Grouse not at all. But since there are 100s of whiskys, nearly every country has a malted, you could go years without having the same one twice.
Makers or Woodford is my regular bourbon but Whisky Pig or Angel's Envy are also very nice. All have a less expensive bottle but also an upper shelf one or two.

It does my heart good to see so many Bushmill's fans here.
I'm having one for you all (and Callahan) right now.

It does my heart good to see so many Bushmill's fans here.
I'm having one for you all (and Callahan) right now.

I will go one better, used to live about 35 miles away from it.

A Dalmore anything. King Alexander III is perhaps my favorite. If you haven't acquired a taste for scotch, you just haven't tried enough. And if you EVER base your opinion on bar brands (which are mostly cheap blended BS like JW or Chevas) then you are way off base. You'll find many of the blended are smoky in nature. JW Black not so much. Famous Grouse not at all. But since there are 100s of whiskys, nearly every country has a malted, you could go years without having the same one twice.
Makers or Woodford is my regular bourbon but Whisky Pig or Angel's Envy are also very nice. All have a less expensive bottle but also an upper shelf one or two.

I think you just like it or you don't. I really, really tried to get into it. I tried single malts from Glenmorangie, The Glenlivet, Macallan, Balvenie, Talisker, Glenfiddich, Laphroaig, and Oban just to name a few. Tried offerings from the Highlands, Lowlands, Islay, Speyside, and the Islands. I definitely prefer Speyside whiskeys, but my taste buds just don't really appreciate it enough to go buying a bunch of bottles of the good stuff. It ain't for lack of trying, and it's a real shame. Perhaps it'll start being delicious some day

I'm actually not much of a drinker at all, but I enjoy brewing my own beer. I make about 3-4 five gallon batches per year for the fun of it, and give most of it away to friends and family. I sometimes make apple wine around the holidays.

I'm brewing a hefeweizen as I post this. I've brewed 3 batches in the last month (a cream ale, a pale ale and tonight's hefe). I gave away most of the cream ale, the pale ale is in the keg fridge. The fridge holds 2 5gal kegs, so I figured I might as well fill it up.

Mark

I'm brewing a hefeweizen as I post this. I've brewed 3 batches in the last month (a cream ale, a pale ale and tonight's hefe). I gave away most of the cream ale, the pale ale is in the keg fridge. The fridge holds 2 5gal kegs, so I figured I might as well fill it up.

Mark

I love hefe. Oak Creak brewery up in Sedona AZ does an exceptional good one and can be purchased in stores all over AZ.

But nothing beats a nice cool, fresh Guinness.

Mark

Nice! I have a cream ale bottled up myself. I find that the folks that aren't used to home brew tend to like the cream ale, so I usually keep some on hand. My go to brews are the cream ale with a little local honey in it, American wheat, an English brown ale. I'm not a hops guy, so no IPAs for me.

Beer/ale is truly the nectar of the gods. Mankind might not have made it this far with out it.

https://vimeo.com/23278902

After many suggestions, I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve today. Not bad, but I guess I'm just more in favor of the peaty goodness from across the pond...

The nose is quite creamy and sweet, with an almost overpowering caramel/vanilla note, ending with a bit of spice. A very pleasant start. The palate follows the nose closely with the sweet caramel and vanilla being very prominent, and surprisingly smooth being bottled at 45.2%. Reducing that bottle strength a bit with a couple of teaspoons of water helps bring out more subtle flavors including butterscotch, roasted nuts, a bit of ginger, and perhaps even a slight banana note. The finish again carries the sweet caramel joined by smokey oak.

While it is a nice dram on a cool evening by the fire, it was a bit difficult to finish unaccompanied... I selected a Perdomo Lot 23 in the 7x50 Churchill variety. The nuttiness of the Nicaraguan shade compliments the Woodford quite nicely and, in my opinion, greatly increases the enjoy-ability of the whiskey.

American whiskey is too sweet for me. Canadian isn't much better. Don't care for the smoke in Scotch. I prefer Irish Whiskey. Been to Bushmill and Jameson distilleries. Prefer Jameson. 12 year old is nice. 18 is better. Over 20 and it's pretty damn expensive but it sure is good.

So I just had to resurrect this thread to share this. My mom decided to taste my scrumptious Scotch. This dram is Laphroaig 10 year old Original Cask Strength, batch 006 bottled in Feb. 2014 at 58% ABV.

It tastes like burning seaweed! But I like it ;-)

Back