Necrothreading

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
found something I didn't expect to see on any Internet forum software.

I did a google search for an IFR flying question and was pointed to a discussion that happened here January 2016 that answered my question.

Got to the bottom of the page and saw the notice in the reply box. Made me chuckle as I interpreted it as, "By clicking the 'I understand' checkbox, the MC would like to point out that you could be made fun of by reviving a completely dead thread. Please keep your hands and feet inside the post at all times and enjoy the ride."

Attachments

• IMG_0222.PNG
    IMG_0222.PNG
    209.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0222.PNG
    IMG_0222.PNG
    209.4 KB · Views: 42
Ha. I wondered when somebody would notice that. It's been installed for a couple of months. Saw it on another forum that I frequent and thought it was great...because I was about to necropost and didn't know it until I saw the message.

Aren't we all Necrothreadphiliacs?
necrothreadophobe, here.

There is a tool to warn necroposter offenders the error of their plan - but no easy* way for the victims to be warned?

*yes, "easy" has been debated.

necrothreadophobe, here.

There is a tool to warn necroposter offenders the error of their plan - but no easy* way for the victims to be warned?

*yes, "easy" has been debated.
You can see when a thread was started, but not if it has been active all the time, versus being resurrected.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 21.50.22.png

In the case of the 2013 thread, it looks as if @N312RB checked in to update us.

Sheesh. Ya sign on. Ya see a subject that interests you. Ya respond. It's an old thread. Ya get hammerred for necroposting. Is this about aviation or is it about cruisin the net?

What's so terrible about getting "hammered"? It's not like they're using real hammers, after all!

Sheesh. Ya sign on. Ya see a subject that interests you. Ya respond. It's an old thread. Ya get hammerred for necroposting. Is this about aviation or is it about cruisin the net?
Yeah, this. So what, if it is relevant?

It's useful if the response is to a time sensitive discussion that's no longer relevant.

Do these necroposts automatically go to a mod for review? Yesterday, I received an alert that someone had replied to one of my posts in a 2015 trainwreck thread. The response was something snarky but not really that far out of character for this site. It took me a couple of minutes to browse through the thread, by the time I got to the bottom the necropost had been zapped by a mod.

Better to necropost than to dupe a thread, IMHO.

Nothing wrong with reviving a thread. The problem only comes with people not knowing that they're doing it.

Responding to a six year old conversation when the FARs discussed may no longer be relevant and the people involved in the conversation may no longer be around just causes confusion.

It's simply letting people know that they're about to revive a thread that has been dormant for a while. But it still lets them do it if that's what they're wanting to do.

Nothing wrong with reviving a thread. The problem only comes with people not knowing that they're doing it.

Responding to a six year old conversation when the FARs discussed may no longer be relevant and the people involved in the conversation may no longer be around just causes confusion.

It's simply letting people know that they're about to revive a thread that has been dormant for a while. But it still lets them do it if that's what they're wanting to do.

I agree. I like the new "warning" flag.

There is another discussion board that I am on (non-aviation) that has been around for about 20 years. Often someone will post a helpful response to a question that was asked literally 15 or more years ago. Now, while there's a chance that someone will currently need help with that exact same problem, it's pretty unlikely. And even if they do, they really should just start a new thread. It's more likely that the original poster has long since forgot about the issue that is no longer a concern.

This does lead to some humorous examples occasionally, where for instance someone is looking for advice on how to fix their toaster, and 15 years later someone offers up help (when you really hope they've fixed the toaster or got a new one by then). Or maybe the original question was about childcare and the kid is now in college. Sometimes the OP is actually still around and responds to the necroposter. Hilarity ensues.

Do these necroposts automatically go to a mod for review? Yesterday, I received an alert that someone had replied to one of my posts in a 2015 trainwreck thread. The response was something snarky but not really that far out of character for this site. It took me a couple of minutes to browse through the thread, by the time I got to the bottom the necropost had been zapped by a mod.
In that case, it was an unregistered troll who reopened the thread, so the post was deleted. It had nothing to do with it being a necropost and everything about them being unregistered.

Last edited:
Now I get the point. It makes sense to let you know that it has been dormant for awhile.

In that case, it was an unregistered troll who reopened the thread, so the post was deleted. It had nothing to do with it being a necropost and everything about them being unregistered.

Thks. Makes more sense, didn't notice it was unreg.

Back