Nearly 3 decades ago in "Cannibal Queen"

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Coonts wrote this:

"There are a lot of people in this country who would like to see every private aircraft recycled into beer cans. The restrictions are only going to get worse unless the people who own and fly noncommercial aircraft fight back. According to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, some state officials want state parks protected from overflights. Are you listening out there? Do you care? Or are you going to wait until general aviation is stone cold dead, then tut-tut about the swine politicians and wax nostalgic? This morning I do the only thing I can. I turn the damned radio off and sit looking at the view with just the engine for company. The view is something to look at. Reds, yellows, grays, all shades of pink highlighted by the morning sun and contrasted by stark shadows. "

Are we still doing okay? I mean I've got maybe 15 years of aviating left in me... And I'd like to think I can enjoy them....

Can't say that I've met any people who are that hostile to GA. In fact, I have met a selection of people recently who have tried and enjoyed it, but have dropped out for one reason or another, mostly due to time and/or finances.

Can't say that I've met any people who are that hostile to GA.

Usually they consist of the NIMBY's that purchase a home right under the final approach to the runway, then feel as though they are being the victims of all that noise. Just look at the airport's that receive noise complaints, usually hundreds of complaints from a handful of people.

I just saw a story how complaints have skyrocketed around KSAN, despite traffic being down 50% since COVID. They receive something like 500-700 complaints per DAY according to the article I read.

Usually they consist of the NIMBY's that purchase a home right under the final approach to the runway, then feel as though they are being the victims of all that noise. Just look at the airport's that receive noise complaints, usually hundreds of complaints from a handful of people.

I just saw a story how complaints have skyrocketed around KSAN, despite traffic being down 50% since COVID. They receive something like 500-700 complaints per DAY according to the article I read.
But at SAN, wouldn't they be complaining more about airline noise? Also the way the approach is structured, you come pretty close to houses and really close to a parking structure. At least that was the case a number of years ago.

which in effect is still actually government (the people) killing it off. No political stance.
Although, in theory, (the people) should be the government... I don't believe they're "actively" killing it off as much as simply not caring.. unless as noted above, they built their personal McMansion at the end of a runway, long after the runway was built.

We the people seem (on the whole) to be letting it die....

Can't say that I've met any people who are that hostile to GA.

really? None?

Perhaps where you live isn't overrun with people strong with NIMBY. You are fortunate.

I live close to KBED and there are people in the areas surrounding KBED that are indeed hostile to small GA and any GA. In fact, some of the people at Massport (which operates KBED as well as KBOS) only pay lip service to small GA.

Last edited:

I shared a letter here that a hostile under the pattern dweller sent to our club a few months ago. I think with so many people working from home, they're finding new things to complain about, and noticing the traffic overhead that they weren't home to see in the past years.

really? None?

Perhaps where you live isn't overrun with people strong with NIMBY. You are fortunate.

I live close to KBED and there are people in the areas surrounding KBED that are indeed hostile to small GA and any GA. In fact, some of the people at Massport (which operates KBED as well as KBOS) only pay lip service to small GA.
Personally, none that I can think of. Of course I know that people complain, but I can’t recall someone complaining to me, or otherwise bashing GA.

I know much of our pattern altitude is 1200' AGL (2000' MSL) due to the McMansion development under downwind leg at my home 'drome... Then, stay on a curving (over the river) base and final, to stay out of the class Charlie cutout at the approach end...
Certainly a non standard pattern. Which was a challenge for this rusty pilot, used to standard altitudes and left turns..
b0d97ccbf7ad052de65c8937aa19d1bf.jpg

Pardon the phone sketch...

Last edited:
Um, it's been 36 years, and it's Caribbean Queen...duhyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Um, it's been 36 years, and it's Caribbean Queen...duhyyyyyyyyyyyyy
dude - I think you're mixing up your music and your books ...
but maybe it was 44 years ago and it was "Dancing Queen"?

dude - I think you're mixing up your music and your books ...
but maybe it was 44 years ago and it was "Dancing Queen"?

Maybe it was 61 years ago and Chuck Berry....

Can't say that I've met any people who are that hostile to GA. In fact, I have met a selection of people recently who have tried and enjoyed it, but have dropped out for one reason or another, mostly due to time and/or finances.

Same here. Most people just think it’s neat. A few are interested but less so when I tell them what the costs are.

Back