Near Miss Caught On Video !!!

Camera is on right wingtip. Probably was drifting a little right after touch down, but I could see the bird wanted a collision even less than I did, and was making tracks out of the way!

Last edited:
I thought u aim for those and get extra points if u make bird salsa out of them?

Id rather make bird meat that way than this,

That was close! But near miss, or near hit? :rolleyes:
Given that almost nobody cares about proper spelling, grammar and punctuation these days, I have a hard time getting myself to care about near miss vs. near hit.

If you fly long enough, it'll happen to you.

Birds, coyotes, deer, etc. I've had close encounters with many in about 1750 hours. But then again, I Frequently fly into rural strips, many of which are grass.

Have yet to hit one though!

The challenge for me is to not get tunnel vision when on short final and actually scan down the runway...and to each side of it...for wildlife. I have to constantly remind myself to do it because once I'm on short final I tend to focus too much on the touchdown spot. Before then I'm constantly scanning the area for other traffic, wildlife, etc., but for that last 1/4 mile or so it's tough for me to do so for whatever reason.

Given that almost nobody cares about proper spelling, grammar and punctuation these days, I have a hard time getting myself to care about near miss vs. near hit.
But when someone uses the proper vernacular like the OP did here, there isn't a reason to even care about the usage of near miss.

But when someone uses the proper vernacular like the OP did here, there isn't a reason to even care about the usage of near miss.
I take it you have an opinion about which is "proper"?

Was it a heron or crane? That's the real question here.

Sandhill Crane. They are usually seen in pairs. Makes me wonder if this one didn't already lose it's mate. The bolting when a plane arrives might be a learned reaction.

Some people here have a difficult time taking a joke.

And punctuation matters, e.g.:

Let's eat, Grandma.

versus

Let's eat Grandma.

:D:D:D

Oh, emoticon foul on my part!!! It was meant in jest.

Near miss sounds a lot better than near collision to the unwashed public. Imagine the panic that would set in if we had near collisions happening at the big airports like Boston or New York.

Near miss sounds a lot better than near collision to the unwashed public. Imagine the panic that would set in if we had near collisions happening at the big airports like Boston or New York.

Agreed. Far more PC, if less accurate. Note that NASA has referred to the shuttle disasters as "mishaps."

On the other hand, the AIM refers to a "Near Midair Collision (NMAC) Reporting Program." :dunno:

Back