Near midair over ORD?

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
"It appeared to be similar to a glider"
Conditions today in Northern Indiana seemed great for a glider. VERY HOT, absolutely clear skies, next to no wind.
Where they did the turns, Beloit, has lots of gliders and is noted as such on the charts.

Looking at the log on Flightaware, there were a couple of 360 degree two-minute turns. Both at 10,000'.

The first turn was at 12:33, 300 knots. Then a few minutes later, another 360 degree turn at 250 knots. Then immediately after that a 1000 fpm descent.

I agree, it's puzzling why they would do a 360 degree turn if they are trying to avoid a midair collision with slower traffic.

Where they did the turns, Beloit, has lots of gliders and is noted as such on the charts.

Beloit 44C is marked with a glider on the VFR chart, and it is mentioned in the AFD. But there's no indication on the low or high IFR charts that I can see.

I wonder how an airline crew would be aware their route takes them over such a field.

Beloit 44C is marked with a glider on the VFR chart, and it is mentioned in the AFD. But there's no indication on the low or high IFR charts that I can see.

I wonder how an airline crew would be aware their route takes them over such a field.
Shouldn't the preflight briefing include all relevant information?

I’ve gotten RA’s every few months and for obvious reasons, they’re in busy airspace.

Looking at the log on Flightaware, there were a couple of 360 degree two-minute turns. Both at 10,000'.

The first turn was at 12:33, 300 knots. Then a few minutes later, another 360 degree turn at 250 knots. Then immediately after that a 1000 fpm descent.

I agree, it's puzzling why they would do a 360 degree turn if they are trying to avoid a midair collision with slower traffic.

Did ATC issue 360s for traffic flow maybe?

Anyway, here's what George thinks of 'near miss'.

Couple of thoughts. It was north of Rockford, IL (about 55 miles north of ORD, not over ORD). It was Rockford Approaches airspace. They were at 10K at the time. That glider for sure was higher than usual for around here if it was indeed a glider. The reason for the multiple 360's was the arrivals into ORD were put into the hold to allow for a configuration change from west to east flow at that time.

Couple more thoughts:
the right wing suddenly dropped out of nowhere and we made an extreme right turn.
Initially all of us thought something was wrong with the aircraft and perhaps the right engine had failed but after correcting the aircraft fast, we made a few more turns and evened out

Looks like the first turn was to the left and it certainly doesn't appear to be a very steep turn. Now it's possible the "evasive maneuver" is small and occured just before those 360's.

And if the left and right 360 were directed by approach, I wouldn't think you would want to do your spacing turns where you just missed another plane.

This is the one that gets me:

We had to make an evasive manoeuvre to avoid a collision with another small aircraft in the air. It appeared to be similar to a glider that wouldn’t have had geolocation technology onboard.

WTF? "Geolocation technology"? Was this Amelia Earhart flying the plane?

There's not a lot of sources of lift near KORD that gets a glider to 10k unless petroleum products are involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Conditions today in Northern Indiana seemed great for a glider. VERY HOT, absolutely clear skies, next to no wind.
"Absolutely clear skies" are not the best type of sky condition for gliders. Puffy scattered cumulus clouds are what glider pilots like to see as it marks where there's lift. Absolutely clear conditions make finding thermals more difficult and increase the likelihood of landing out which is a hassle all glider pilots try to avoid.

I suspect what you're seeing on flight aware isn't the evasive action but the airliner being put back in sequence after having done so.

Looks like from the flight aware track, things started happening around 1430 CDT (1930Z), can't find anything on LiveATC yet.

Last edited:
I suspect what you're seeing on flight aware isn't the evasive action but the airliner being put back in sequence after having done so.

That could be. The evasive action might not show up much in a Flightaware track if it lasted only seconds.

No one posted an OLC trace that got to 10k around there yesterday. 10K is a ****ING AWESOME gliding day around here. seldom get above 8k MSL

There was a report on rec.aviation.soaring of an ASH 26 topping out of a thermal in that area.

Lately, I'm flying a 77 year old J3-90. So I'm practicing dead stick landings, from various places in the pattern and from various altitudes, trying not to end up in the corn or the trees on approach. Old Cub engines are notorious for stopping at very inopportune times, so you practice.
The scenario:
The airport has a 1 runway, no taxi way, a grass strip parallel and 20 yards away from the runway and grass\gravel right next to the paved runway.
I prefer the grass, but it is always being used by people to back-taxi to the end of the runway, so if I can't get on the grass, I land on the grass\gravel. It's a local option.
The Cub likes it, it saves wear and tear on the tires, and since original equipment Cub brakes rarely last more than 1 taxi\takeoff\landing combination, I just let it run out on it's own, the gravel\grass slows the plane down, and I back taxi on the grass. It's all good.
For this particular landing I'm high and fast when I turn final. There is a Archer on the runway and a Cherokee is back taxiing on the grass, and when he gets to the end of the grass He forgets I'm coming and pulls across the gravel and stops.
No problem. I'm slipping really hard, with the nose up to keep the speed down. I lower the nose, pick up a few MPH. I then pop up over him, three point it and roll out. No sweat. Eat your heart out, Harrison Ford. I get out, pull the prop and taxi back for another trip around the patch.
Except the student in Cherokee screams on the Unicom that I'm going to hit him and we are all going to die in a blazing fireball.
Everyone has a good laugh.
Unfortunately, the guy with a handheld in the house, 3/4s of a mile away, who hates airplanes, hears it and calls the police and reports a collision.
The local Barney arrives, lights flashing, and won't believe anyone that the Cub currently buzzing about the airport is not actually being flown by a charred corpse. The Archer is on his way back to Montauk, The student who cracked the joke is miles away, and not inclined to come back, maybe EVER, and so they ask me to come down so the officer could "see me about the alleged incident." The exact words.
So I made a high speed pass (OK. It's a J3 Cub. I'm using some poetic license here) less than a foot off the deck and waved at them when I went past. "I see you!".
SHE was worth looking at.
The officer is visibly upset, the line monkeys are actually rolling on the ground, and the lady in the FBO is asking me pretty please will I land and talk to the officer?
Being the responsible adult that I am (and my time being up, they need the plane for a student) I landed and explained that no aircraft or pilots were incinerated in the the performance of the minor jest of 20 minutes past.
I then suggested she talk to the aviation hater who filed a false report. Oh, and I offered to take the police officerette up in the Cub.
Nothing works like a bribe.
She was actually quite fetching, and a pretty blond, in uniform, carrying a gun, is pretty darned sexy. Even to us old geezers. She came back on her lunch break and I took her up for 1/2 an hour.
She thinks it's so cute that I'm an old pastor and can fly an airplane.

Back