NE, KS, OK and MO Lunch get together

ki4lzk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joshua Jones
I was wondering if anyone would like to get together for lunch on one of the Saturdays in the next couple of weeks. KTOP has a nice restaurant. I would be willing to go elsewhere too.

I'm in! I'll kidnap Jesse too. :D

Norfolk, NE (KOFK) has a nice resturant right on the field also.

Last edited:
I'm in! I'll kidnap Jesse too. :D

Norfolk, NE (KOFK) has a nice resturant right on the field also.

Jessie should have one of his students fly her 172 and I could ride with you.or them for that matter.

Barnstormers If I recall correctly. It is on my list as well. I plan on making it one of my stops for my long solo cross country. What day would work best for you?

Barnstormers If I recall correctly. It is on my list as well. I plan on making it one of my stops for my long solo cross country. What day would work best for you?

You are correct. This weekend is out for me. If it blowing under 30k I'm good, weather has been up & down a lot.

Well, there's always this...I plan to be there:

Mar2013pancakes3EX.jpg

That sounds like a good place to meet up. I can kill two birds with one stone... add another state to my list of landings as well as get to fly through the class B. I will bringing my instructor with me.

That sounds like a good place to meet up. I can kill two birds with one stone... add another state to my list of landings as well as get to fly through the class B. I will bringing my instructor with me.

KC "B" is usually very accumulating. Great professionals in ATC there. :yes: I've never been turned away.

Hi guys, We'd love to have you all at 3EX next Saturday - right now, the weather looks fantastic - partly cloudy and low 60s. If I can answer any questions, just let me know!

Sarah D.

I am thinking the end of the month would work out better. I just found out I will have to work Saturday.

Sounds like 3ex this Saturday and we-b-smokin' later on in the month....eh?

Got a new to me plane..Need excuses to fly !

Sounds like 3ex this Saturday and we-b-smokin' later on in the month....eh?

I'm looking forward to flying up to we-b-smokin' soon! Let me know when you're going! :yes:

Right now, we can't get out of the farm because it's like a swamp here, but hopefully it will dry out soon.

Hi guys!

First of all, things are still looking great for 3EX for Saturday so I hope to see some of you there.

Second, I'd love to join you all for a get together elsewhere sometime. I unfortunately have a business that makes most Saturdays during the warm-weather months impossible for that kind of thing (wedding photographer). Unless I block weekends ahead of time for vacation or for our own fly-ins. I do have Easter weekend open (Saturday would be the 30th) if that ends up being a possibility for people. I actually need a We-B-Smokin fix, it's been about 2 months or so since I've been and that was for breakfast :)

Sarah

Hi guys!

First of all, things are still looking great for 3EX for Saturday so I hope to see some of you there.

Second, I'd love to join you all for a get together elsewhere sometime. I unfortunately have a business that makes most Saturdays during the warm-weather months impossible for that kind of thing (wedding photographer). Unless I block weekends ahead of time for vacation or for our own fly-ins. I do have Easter weekend open (Saturday would be the 30th) if that ends up being a possibility for people. I actually need a We-B-Smokin fix, it's been about 2 months or so since I've been and that was for breakfast :)

Sarah

I am off every Monday-Wednesday so if one of those days works best for others, that would be acceptable.

I'm off every day...you folks that have to work for a living wear me out.

:)

Mon-Weds work for me...although I'm sure most will need a weekend.

I'll be there.

Last edited:
Where? And when?
3EX (wherever that is) on Saturday in the Flybaby. Assuming the weather is Flybaby friendly (less than 30 knots and at least 1500 ft and a few miles). Any more then 30 knots and I need people to hold teh airplane down so that I can get out without it blowing away.

Last edited:
3EX (wherever that is) on Saturday in the Flybaby. Assuming the weather is Flybaby friendly (less than 30 knots and at least 1500 ft and a few miles). Any more then 30 knots and I need people to hold teh airplane down so that I can get out without it blowing away.

Hmmm. That is really close to here. Will have to see if I can make it happen.

7 am? uff da
No joke. I'll see if I can talk my lovely bride into coming along. I think she has something going on Saturday morning though. I was trying to talk her into flying to KHSI with me to have lunch with my sister and her husband, but if she's not going to go anyway -- I'll play Dawn Patrol instead.

I'll haveta catch up with yall another time. I've got a wicked cold kicking my butt.

For whomever asked, 3EX (Excelsior Springs Airport) is about 25nm NE of downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

KC "B" is usually very accumulating.
And accommodating, too. :) On my student pilot long dual X/C we stopped at KTOP and KMKC. When we took off to head home I called KC and they immediately told us we could go direct through the B space. Even my instructor was a little surprised. We'd planned on going around, but weather was starting to go a little sour in Omaha so we were grateful to shave some time off the return trip.

I'll be there Saturday morning. My wife has other things going on that day, but I may drag a grandkid or someone along.

Dunno if I'll be there or not. WX loooks like MVFR with ceilings at 2500-3000. While I'd be OK (just barely) with flying the whole route that low, I'm concerned that it might drop even lower. Unless the forecast improves, I'm probably going to bow out.

Do to unforeseen circumstances I won't be able to make it.

Looks like we don't have a fly-in this morning. IFR conds forecast from 6am to noon with an 800' broken layer. Thanks to everyone who thought about coming! We'll still have the pancakes on for the locals but unfortunately no planes.

Sarah

I believe Sarah reported that a whopping three planes made it due to IFR conditions in the area Saturday morning, bummer. Regardless, a lot of locals showed up. One of the planes that made it was Steve Wolf with CPS. He flew in on Friday and spent the night. Here he is presenting a certificate of appreciation to the mayor for keeping the airport open:

ubbthreads.php

To Steve's left is the president of the local antique aircraft association chapter. He presented the certificate of appreciation on behalf of PoA since none of us made it. Here's the eloquent and articulate verbiage that Adam came up with:

PILOTS OF AMERICA

This 16th Day of March, 2013

Presents this Certificate of Appreciation to The City of Excelsior Springs Missouri for preserving and maintaining Excelsior Springs Memorial Airport (3EX).

On behalf of the over ten thousand members of Pilots of America (www.PilotsofAmerica.com) we salute the City of Excelsior Springs for recognizing the importance of Excelsior Springs Memorial Airport to the nation’s transportation infrastructure and further for taking action to preserve this important aviation asset.

The Management Council & Members of Pilots of America

:thumbsup:

Back