Navworx UAT for certificated airplanes

Walboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Walboy

Last edited:
Right now they seem to be one of the best deals running. We're looking at putting them in our training helicopters.

Any thoughts on installing the Navworx product linked below now in a Cherokee to comply with ADS-B out requirements? I don't have an IFR GPS and realistically don't have much need for one. I just don't find myself in IMC very often. I think I'm going to stick with dual VORs, DME, and Garmin 196 (or iPad for ADS-B-in if I get the Navworx box) which will likely be adequate for me. If you believe what the FAA is telling everyone, the ADS-B deadline isn't likely to be pushed back despite all the problems. In the big scheme of aviation costs, the Navworx box isn't all that bad and seems like a pretty reasonable way to comply for those of us with less sophisticated avionics.

http://www.navworx.com/navworx_store/ADS_B_Transceivers/ADS600_BG.html

A neighbor at the airport cast doubt in my mind by wondering out loud about long term product support prospects since it seems like avionics companies are frequently bought out by competitors causing regret for early adapters. On the other hand, if the deadline holds firm, the backlog for installations might be a problem for late adapters.

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed the Navworx box.

What am I missing?

I've had mine for two years... Sending it back soon for the TSO upgrade (new ones come TSO'd)

Paul

FYI, FreeFlight is a sound and well-established company. They do a lot radios for air-carrier grade aircraft.

Are any of these fully compatible with the G1000? When I say fully compatible, I mean do they show the traffic and give the alerts etc.?

Are any of these fully compatible with the G1000? When I say fully compatible, I mean do they show the traffic and give the alerts etc.?

Garmin tends to create a walled garden, compatibility only with Garmin devices. YMMV.

The NavWorx unit can display traffic on the garmin displays. It will not display weather. The freeflight probably can too. It's a standard data stream for ADS-B traffic. But Garmin seems to want you to buy garmin products to display weather.

The NavWorx unit can display traffic on the garmin displays. It will not display weather. The freeflight probably can too. It's a standard data stream for ADS-B traffic. But Garmin seems to want you to buy garmin products to display weather.

They look like a pretty good deal to me. I hope they are very successful. I think the company owner is a cessna.org member and active pilot.

Garmin tends to create a walled garden, compatibility only with Garmin devices. YMMV.

Yep, they tried that in the marine market at their early entry and it cost them too much market so they went to NMEA outputs.

1090ES Receiver - coming soon......
A 1090ES receiver with an ADS-B out UAT is kind of pointless. The ground towers cross link the traffic between 978 and 1090 as part of ADS-R and TIS-B. I think they both have the dual band receiver. So does the Skyguard. But it's kind of silly.

A 1090ES receiver with an ADS-B out UAT is kind of pointless. The ground towers cross link the traffic between 978 and 1090 as part of ADS-R and TIS-B. I think they both have the dual band receiver. So does the Skyguard. But it's kind of silly.
not if you want to go higher than 18,000 feet....:wink2:

Yes, but you'd need a 1090ES transponder for that anyway. If you're cruising around above FL180, chances are a Navworx, Freeflight, Skyguard, or Garmin GDL88 system is not the solution for you anyway.

You do realize you can get the GDL88 for the same price, right?

If you currently have Garmin installed, it's a no brainer. And you get in/out .

You do realize you can get the GDL88 for the same price, right?

If you currently have Garmin installed, it's a no brainer. And you get in/out .

But you're limited to only feeding ADS-B In FIS-B and TIS-B to garmin devices. No tablets or phones. Nothing else. Which like you said, is fine if that's all you want to do. But for a plane not equipped with Garmin everything to begin with, it is not a practical choice.

Very true...but if you have or plan to add any Garmin GPS system, seamless integration is insured.

But you're limited to only feeding ADS-B In FIS-B and TIS-B to garmin devices. No tablets or phones. Nothing else. Which like you said, is fine if that's all you want to do. But for a plane not equipped with Garmin everything to begin with, it is not a practical choice.

There's the GDL-39 which also feeds an AHRS, for supplemental style equipment. Garmin is also coming out with a Bluetooth link that will not only feed the GDL-88 data to the iPad or whatever is running Garmin Pilot, but it will also allow control of the panel boxes from the iPad. This is supposed to give you GTN-750 style programability to the GNS series boxes through a Garmin Pilot running on a consumer device platform. Theoretically this will allow you to program in Victor Airways, and rubberband clearance amendments into your 430/530 boxes. I have not played with it to see this functionality work, just going by claims I heard.

That does sound cool. But again, all garmin to garmin stuff. As long as you're ok with that, it is definitely the logical choice. If you aren't married to Garmin avionics, it would actually be quite illogical.

Back