Navigating cluster thunderstorms -- Go IFR or VFR?

Have to admit I'm not thinking of SAR when filing. But I'm generally east of the Mississippi.

I get clearances thru MOAs all the time but not if active I assume.

I can't remember canceling IFR (to loosen the constraints) and not have ATC keep me on FF usually with the same code. Especially with a Class B is involved... we both know what we're doing when we do that. NY ATC does everything but encourage it at times.

But, YMMV

Oh, they are encouraging it, they just can't be to blatant about it, lol. Being dumped when you cancel is not the norm, granted. Doesn't mean you may not get terminated later though. If you do get concerned about SAR you may want to consider having the VFR flight plan. Could be the difference in an extra night out in the boonies if you have to go down out there and can't get attention on the radio. Rare occurence, I know. Just something to think about. How'd the flight go?

I will watch patterns prior to the flight. Unless something like a front comes through, the pattern will put the forecast in context. ForeFlight is great for this because I keep it set to the parameters I'm interested in and just glance at it once in a while. Otherwise I just take a look at Intellicast or even Apple's weather app. General big picture stuff.

I have been known to bug out a day early when it's forecast to get crappy.

My observation after three days here in the Bahamas is that the ceilings are higher during TS activity than in the central plains, storms blow up fast and are accompanied by strong downburst winds, but rain shafts are clearly seen for miles. Absent a clear line of thunderstorms, it should be navigable at most times. Bring extra fuel, be prepared to deviate. Oh, and the Florida RADAR coverage arc craps out before the Abacos. Haven't yet found a Doppler feed that adequately covers Treasure Cay/Green Turtle Cay.

I asked a weather radar guru a while back; "How fast can a cell build in a block of clear air? From nothing, to a real thunderstorm?" He said it could happen in under ten minutes and, rarely, as fast as five.

I asked a weather radar guru a while back; "How fast can a cell build in a block of clear air? From nothing, to a real thunderstorm?" He said it could happen in under ten minutes and, rarely, as fast as five.

Still will need to be careful using XM or ADS-B radar info. It maybe 5 minutes between updates, but you need to factor in up to another 5 for the time it takes for the provider to assemble the data and push it to you. I have heard that FF can be up to 10 minutes behind the actual. 5 for the NWS to assemble, and another 5 for FF to update. Still need to use the Mark One Eyeballs when in convective area.

I'm late to the game too, but is this a trick question or do I have a different vision of what "cluster thunderstorms" mean (multi-cell thunderstorms)?

I'm not navigating them at all, I'll be on the ground! Or if I am navigating them it's with Waze on my iphone in my car. In the air, I'm looking for 20 miles between me and the use of thunder and storm in the same phrase.

I'm late to the game too, but is this a trick question or do I have a different vision of what "cluster thunderstorms" mean (multi-cell thunderstorms)?

I'm not navigating them at all, I'll be on the ground! Or if I am navigating them it's with Waze on my iphone in my car. In the air, I'm looking for 20 miles between me and the use of thunder and storm in the same phrase.

Since I was the original poster, I can answer.

I'm referring to thunderstorms that are individual, cellular versus in an organized frontal / squall line. Note that spacing on cellular storms can vary too... when very far apart, easily navigable. When closer together--things can get very interesting.

Since I was the original poster, I can answer.

I'm referring to thunderstorms that are multi-cellular versus in an organized frontal / squall line. Note that spacing on cellular storms can vary too... when very far apart, easily navigable. When closer together--things can get very interesting.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/svr/type/home.rxml

I asked the same question about IFR/VFR on another board. I'm not IFR certified so it was more or less a question for when I get there.

I've gotten really good at navigating weather here in FL on cross country flights and there have been times definitely to put down instead of pressing on (even if I was IFR).

These two pics show what I would dodge/fly through and where I just said..no. The no go was from Boca to Sarasota, the go was from Savannah, which ended up being a lot of cloud dodging and altitude changes heading for the coast (which seems to be a safe place to be), thunderstorms normally bubble up in the middle of the state, or if they hit the cost they hang on it rather than going out into the water.

Attachments

• nogo.PNG
    nogo.PNG
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
  • go.PNG
    go.PNG
    85.1 KB · Views: 11
Back