Navajo went down at Geauga County Airport.

I think that's right, judging from the photo. Prop tips look bent on the left, not on the right.

I can't be the only one wondering why the F we're incurring the cost to transport an inmate this way?

"Common" still doesn't mean "prudent" but I'll zip it now.

I can't be the only one wondering why the F we're incurring the cost to transport an inmate this way?

I used to work for a 135 operation that transporting prisoners was their primary business. Cost was pretty comparable to ground transport, by they time you consider the guards, security, meals and bathroom stops for an 8 hour ground transport vs a 2-3 hour flight.

Brian

Last edited:
Seems like there would be a great opportunity for someone who thought all was lost to end it all. I know they have a guard with them but are they restrained in a way they can’t move around? Probably a dumb question but the there’s not a lot of room in there and several ways to wreak havoc if one was inclined to do so.

It's done all the time. The Moscow Idaho murder suspect got ferried in a Pilatus PC-12!

I can't imagine that commercial airline passengers would be keen on a shackled criminal onboard. I wonder how many seats they could have to buy to keep passengers out of reach of the perp.

Well obviously it works quite well. I haven’t heard too many stories about prisoners taking over an airplane and flying off into the sunset. But there are plenty of stories about transport vans being ambushed resulting in escapes. But I think they should only fly in 152’s, and only during July and August. Maybe include May and June also if it’s in Texas or Florida!

I know they have a guard with them but are they restrained in a way they can’t move around?

The prisoners I carried were shackled on ankles, wrist and wrist to waist. Usually only one guard, pepper and chemical spray not allowed in the plane and I had my own pistol.

Others I carried were strapped to the stretcher and were usually in no shape to be a danger to anyone.

Edit: Also seat belted. The prisoner barely had enough slack to scratch their nose, but only by bending over and stretching it.

Yea I figured they had to keep things pretty tight.

Admittedly one of the prisoners I flew was threatening to jump out of the airplane, but it was largely just big talk from a 15-year-old in shackles.

Admittedly one of the prisoners I flew was threatening to jump out of the airplane, but it was largely just big talk from a 15-year-old in shackles.

Well he would learn that he don't need a parachute to skydive. But he would need one to skydive more than once ...

Like I said earlier apparently it works quite well. I guess they know if they take out the pilot they are going to die in a fiery crash. Unless they are able to fly the thing themselves. That’s a pretty good incentive to not try anything.

Back