Nav/com with indicator

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Hey guys,

So audio panel is now being installed as we speak (8000G). I am gonna get rid of my TKM Mk-12 radio and get a new (or used) nav/com and indicator. My first option was to go with a used SL30, but looking around, is it worth getting? Or should I just go for it and get a Garmin 255? Was going to go with a GI 106. What do you guys think?

Am I missing something?

Those radios go for almost as much as a 430, why on earth would anyone buy a 255, when you could get a 430 for almost the same price and have WAAAY more capability for your aircraft :dunno:

And piling on with James.. get the 430... wait a year to save up... make it a 430W.

You're done!

Save up just a tiny bit more and get a new GTN 650. Then you are truly done. But, I agree that the used 430 for around $5000 offers the most for the buck. The price of used 430W are too close to the price of a new GTN 650, IMHO. The cost to install anyone of them is the same. See how easy it is to spend money on airplanes.

Last edited:
Save up just a tiny bit more and get a new GTN 650. Then you are truly done. But, I agree that the used 430 for around $5000 offers the most for the buck. The price of used 430W are too close to the price of a new GTN 650, IMHO. The cost to install anyone of them is the same. See how easy it is to spend money on airplanes.

For just a wee bit more than the cost of a GTN 650 you can buy a GTN 750 with the much larger screen. Costs pretty well the same to wire it in as its smaller cousin.

And if you don't have room in the panel for a 750, for just a little bit more than a Garmin panel you can buy a different airplane that does have enough panel space. See how easy it is to spend money on airplanes... ;)

A GTN-650 is routinely quoted around $14k installed.
its hard to tell if that includes very possible antenna relocations to provide adequate waas antenna spacing etc

So an audio panel and a 650 could easily run $18k

Back