Nationality for medical vs PPL

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Currently I have German citizenship, but my process of getting US citizenship is started.
It may take anywhere from 6 to 16 month for this to complete.

I planned on getting the study and MEDICAL taken care off, before starting to actually fly (ideally after getting US citizenship).

Ont eh medical application you have to insert current citizenship.
Anyone know if this is relevant and/or if I can enter German there and then later apply for the PPL once I got US citizenship w/o an issue?

Are you currently located in the US and if so, what type of Visa ?

No problems doing it that way.
You need to go through the TSA vetting if you start flight training before you become a citizen.
Because obviously national security is threatened when a permanent resident learns how to fly a 172.

Because obviously national security is threatened when a permanent resident learns how to fly a 172.

That's how some of the 9-11 hijackers started. I have no problem with that requirement.

NEVER FORGET!

That's how some of the 9-11 hijackers started. I have no problem with that requirement.

NEVER FORGET!
Well,
I think Green Card holders should bee exempt, as getting you GC includes extensive background screening.
The issue is the lack of efficiency between US government agencies...

As TSA and USCIS probably dont talk to each other.

No problems doing it that way.
You need to go through the TSA vetting if you start flight training before you become a citizen.
Thank you, here we go, let the journey begin

NEVER FORGET!

GC holders have gone through much more thorough vetting already than the TSA process. So it is a pointless waste of $130.

GC holders have gone through much more thorough vetting already than the TSA process. So it is a pointless waste of $130.

Fine. I don't know the process for GC. As long as they're checked.

Currently Green Card (Permanent Resident).
Living here for 10+ yrs.

Should not be a problem, I am a permanent residence myself but got my PPL before 9/11 but I have to do the TSA vetting if I wanted to start my instrument training.

Just dumb, I have been vetted twice in order to get the GC yet to the TSA that is not sufficient, custom and border patrol check my fingerprints every time I enter the US and they find nothing.

Fine. I don't know the process for GC. As long as they're checked.

TSA only checks if you are on any suspect/no-fly lists on top of a NCIC check. GC checks all that plus your criminal history from every country you've ever lived in, your employment history, suspicious travel patterns etc. You also get interviewed before you get your green card.
It's just pure stupidity that GC holders have to go through that BS.

Currently I have German citizenship, but my process of getting US citizenship is started.
It may take anywhere from 6 to 16 month for this to complete.

I planned on getting the study and MEDICAL taken care off, before starting to actually fly (ideally after getting US citizenship).

Ont eh medical application you have to insert current citizenship.
Anyone know if this is relevant and/or if I can enter German there and then later apply for the PPL once I got US citizenship w/o an issue?
Yep, just put your citizenship at the time of the medical. Even if you get US citizenship later, the medical will still be valid.

I'd recommend getting started on the TSA AFSP soon because it can take a couple of months. It's good for a year, but if you still aren't finished after a year, it's easier to renew (you only have to do the fingerprinting the first time). You need to pick the school first though because they have to help with the application process.

So there seems to be two questions.

Q1. Should I answer honestly now?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Should I answer honestly later?
A2. Yes.

Or was there something else?

I'd recommend getting started on the TSA AFSP soon because it can take a couple of months. It's good for a year, but if you still aren't finished after a year, it's easier to renew (you only have to do the fingerprinting the first time). You need to pick the school first though because they have to help with the application process.
Well, but that is where the problem starts, I need to decide on a school plane type, etc...

So there seems to be two questions.

Q1. Should I answer honestly now?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Should I answer honestly later?
A2. Yes.

Or was there something else?
Not exactly.
It could be, you need a new medical if you change nationality.

Hence you need to start and finish PPL with the same nationaility
Meaning either wait, or finish fast (if possible)

..."You also get interviewed before you get your green card."

- not everyone is interviewed.

..."You also get interviewed before you get your green card."

- not everyone is interviewed.

...if you apply from abroad, you will be interviewed. If you I-485 and you came in with a visa waiver program, you will be interviewed (unless you are a very rare exception). If you came with another visa, you were interviewed when you got that visa.
The interview is a waste of time anyway - point being, the paperwork already provides a much more thorough vetting than TSA AFSP.

One of the ways to satisfy the transportation security Administration’s (TSA) requirements for training for non USA citizens is get a picture of their pilot’s certificate and a government issues photo identification.

I have seen enough of them to be confident that you don’t need to be a citizen of the USA to have an FAA pilot certificate.

There is a specific process that AOPA can help you with. http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...-and-Non-U-S-Citizens-Seeking-Flight-Training

Back