Narrowest runway you've ever landed on

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
So I took a flight from KISP to Sky Acres(44n) airport in Poughkeepsie NY last week on a perfect day for flying to check out the airport and possibly get something to eat( never did). Sky Acres is a beautiful little airport but the runway is only 60 feet wide. The runway really felt narrow to me with drop offs on both sides. I'm sure many of you small airport flyers are laughing as you read this but I'm spoiled by KISP's wide 100+ foot runways. I'll definitely be back to eat at the restaurant at some point but I'll make sure the winds are aligned with the runway first!

So I'm curious, what's the narrowest runway you've ever landed on? Anyone have any good "oh that's a small runway," moments they'd care to share?

3GV - East Kansas City

It's even paved: rwy 5/23 -- 2206 x 20

It does tend to make you concentrate on the centerline.

I'm sure there are plenty of unpaved strips out there that are narrower.

2206 x 20
Holy schnikies. I have no trouble at all with 75', I'm not afraid of the 40' a 3NO, but half that??? :dunno: Gimme tundra tires or at the very least no crosswind.

KSLC 34R. Sure it's 12,000 ' long and 150' wide, but I landed when only 15' either side of centerline was plowed. That made it a 30' runway.

Probably 1840 x 30 ft at Clearview (2W2) in Westminster MD. You'd better be on your A-game there, especially on Rwy 32 where you lose 277 feet to a displaced threshold and have to fly a 7-degree glide path to that point to clear the obstructions.

I have a vague recollection of landing somewhere only 25 feet wide, but don't feel like digging back through 40+ years of log entries to find out.

My first 500 hours and maybe 800 landings was at X04, where I learned to fly.. 3000' X 18'... I would not trade that experience for a million bucks.. Any runway wider then 30 feet gives me the willies..:D

Aw c'mon. Been into Sky Acres many times. That's a beautiful runway, even if it
is somewhat hilly.
Try Pocono-Stroudsburg, N53. 30 ft wide, about 3,000 long.
It's like landing on a taxiway.
Been in there a bunch of times too.

Parr (42I). 3100 by 26 ft. Was more like 2600 when I landed it for my solo cross country. I remember getting on the radio with them, as I couldn't find it. They told me to look down. Damn thing looked like a street.

About ten feet wide, eight or so for much of the length.

Some locations, no runway; others somewhat of a dirt road or clearing. If you land within the confines of the runway however, the width doesn't matter so much. Think about it: if you land on the centerline, it doesn't matter if the runway is 200' wide or just as wide as your gear; anything outside the gear track is extra.

When it comes time to turn around on the runway, width becomes an issue.

A09 50 feet wide with rows of hay on both sides. In the dark with a car parked at the end with headlights on.

50' for me L70... But land there often as a student pilot for practice and its in a windy area in a valley...

30' x 1000' at L71 in a sailplane, but then again I only need room for one wheel on that 30' :wink2:

Marlboro, MA 9B1 45'
Mountain Meadow, CT 22B (now closed... :( ) 40 feet wide

Last edited:
Narrowest: 40' at Platte Valley (18V)

Widest: 300' x 13497' at KRCA Ellsworth AFB for the Dakota Thunder 2011 flyin.

Apparently 60'. X04, Orlando Apopka. Next was 70' on 6-24 at KSGJ St. Augustine and X21 Dunn Airpark.

8OR5 - Pilot Butte OR. 2400X20 @ 3675 msl. The powerlines on one end and the 60-80ft trees all around make it look a whole lot smaller.

Last edited:
Kezer (61TE) just a little ways northwest of Ft. Worth.
The runway is 2400' length x 20' wide.

Landed there in my Cherokee many times. It's like landing on a sidewalk. The Cherokee wings hang over the pavement 5' on each side.... but there's plenty of width for the main gear ;) :yesnod:

Aw c'mon. Been into Sky Acres many times. That's a beautiful runway, even if it
is somewhat hilly.
Try Pocono-Stroudsburg, N53. 30 ft wide, about 3,000 long.
It's like landing on a taxiway.
Been in there a bunch of times too.

Agreed but it's the narrowest for me so far. I think I'll pass on the 30 footers till I have a few more hours!

This is fun- keep the responses coming!

26' wide. TEW-MAC (now closed) was basically a wide centerline.

While instrument training, my CFII kind of got tired of me landing to the left of the centerline at KBED (150' wide), so he had me land at tewmac. When I landed on the "centerline" he said something like "See? you can do it if you really try" and I told him "See. I can if I really need to"

2400'x30'. Gusting crosswinds favored the taxiway:D

This:

P1040431.JPG

Sulphur Creek Ranch, Idaho (ID74), elevation 5835', 3300 feet long. Airnav says it's 40 feet wide, but that may be at the west end. Here, it's clearly less than this PA-12's 35-1/2-foot wingspan.

The gravel is crowned in the middle, making it a sporting proposition to stay on the center on the runway.

Currently 50' at Ridgley KRJD, but am planning to head up to Butter Valley 7N8 this summer with 24'.

TewMac airport, Mass. 21 ft wide
Now closed.

Edit: I see someone else posted 26 ft, I thought it was 21.
I landed at TewMac in 1974/1975.

Brighton, MI 45G 3120 X 24ft
Sulphur Creek is pretty much a one lane road but it didn't seem to closed in.
The most claustrophobic runway I've been on was my friends. 1800 ft long, 60 ft from 12ft high cornstalk to cornstalk. In August it is like landing in a tunnel.

Brownsville (F25) 2,326 x 20. I did have my CFI in the right seat. It was his idea, I didn't particurlary care for it.

TewMac airport, Mass. 21 ft wide
Now closed.

Edit: I see someone else posted 26 ft, I thought it was 21.
I landed at TewMac in 1974/1975.

Either way, the taxiway was wider. :)

Davis w50 near Montgomery County airpark is 25'. Clearview as Ron mentioned is not too much better.

E98 (Mid Valley Airpark) at 37' wide, during my first few weeks of lessons. My instructor used it as an important lesson in putting the nosewheel ON the centerline, instead of within 5' of it as had become my habit (one that I'm now broken of, thankfully.)

N10 Perkiomen Valley, 2880x40.

It was my first night landing too, I made my CFI swear it wasn't somebodys driveway.

Back