Narco radio problem

jhoyt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
COM1 occasionally is untuneable, and rotating both nobs doesn't change frequency. It stays on same for a while, then finally will change if you turn very slowly if I'm lucky. Obviously a pain so we use COM 2. Want to work or IFR training so need both. Anyone have experience/suggestions? Radio shot or fixable?

Is the knob loose ,or is it in the display.?

May not be the radio, could be that audio panel. I had a Terra that I updated to a GMA 340, waaaaay better.

I do have a Narco Transponder in the plane still..it's the last of the outdated technology in the plane. Can't wait to get rid of it..

May not be the radio, could be that audio panel. I had a Terra that I updated to a GMA 340, waaaaay better.

I do have a Narco Transponder in the plane still..it's the last of the outdated technology in the plane. Can't wait to get rid of it..

How would that audio panel prevent tuning a frequency on a separate radio?

I bet the thing has the same problem my autopilot has. The knobs are purely virtual (they just make clicks for as long as you turn them). A bit of moisture or whatever disrupts them.

Alas the narcoleptic 12D radios were near unsupportable back when Narco was still in business. They're largely boat anchors now.

Don't spend a dime on those radios. They weren't any good when they were new and they frequently needed repair. Such problems put Narco out of business.

Don't spend a dime on those radios. They weren't any good when they were new and they frequently needed repair. Such problems put Narco out of business.

As someone who's owned a Narco stack for decades and thousands of flight hours, I would have to disagree. My radios have been quite reliable, on the whole, until recently replaced (mostly) by GTN technology. There were minor nuisances, such as the fluorescent displays having to be replaced periodically, but Narco (or whoever makes them) must have fixed something, because I haven't had to swap any displays in a decade or so. Talking to the repair guy at the shop linked to above (which I think is one of the only Narco repair centers left), he told me that the Narcos in his experience are very solid, except for the latest model MK-12E. Those were apparently made when the company was under financial pressure and used lower spec'd components, which affected reliability. But except for those, he seemed to confirm my own experience that the Narcos last just about forever.

As someone who's owned a Narco stack for decades and thousands of flight hours, I would have to disagree. My radios have been quite reliable, on the whole, until recently replaced (mostly) by GTN technology. There were minor nuisances, such as the fluorescent displays having to be replaced periodically, but Narco (or whoever makes them) must have fixed something, because I haven't had to swap any displays in a decade or so. Talking to the repair guy at the shop linked to above (which I think is one of the only Narco repair centers left), he told me that the Narcos in his experience are very solid, except for the latest model MK-12E. Those were apparently made when the company was under financial pressure and used lower spec'd components, which affected reliability. But except for those, he seemed to confirm my own experience that the Narcos last just about forever.

We had Narco MK12D+ navcoms in several airplanes, and every radio was troublesome. We spent more money fixing them over about an eight-year period than we had paid for them in the first place. The avionics shops told us that they had numerous customers having issues with them.

We had Narco MK12D+ navcoms in several airplanes, and every radio was troublesome. We spent more money fixing them over about an eight-year period than we had paid for them in the first place. The avionics shops told us that they had numerous customers having issues with them.

Interesting. My personal experience is with the Narco 8xx series and related units that predated the MK12Ds. However, the tech I spoke with said in their experience (there are many MK12Ds still on the market and as one of the only Narco shops in the country they should be seeing the problematic ones) those radios are rugged and reliable. So obviously there is conflicting data there with your shops. FWIW, my own local avionics shop has always denigrated my Narcos, but I wonder how objective they are, since they are eager to sell glass.

Back